'Lovefilm' alternatives - DVD rental?

I know i could hop on Google but with bogus sites out there i want to try avoid getting from somewhere that appears decent but isn't.

We used to be Lovefilm members years ago but then it got shut down. I know streaming is a thing these days but i'd prefer not to.

Just looking if anyone can recommend a good quality website that is on the lines of what Lovefilm was - order your DVDs/Blu-rays, get them in the post, watch them & return them, job done.

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Sounds like a lot of messing around to me :/

Im sorry, I dont know of any places that offer the service you describe :(

May I ask why something why you'd prefer not to stream ? Netflix is brilliant ..
  • I know i could hop on Google but with bogus sites out there i want to try avoid getting from somewhere that appears decent but isn't.

We used to be Lovefilm members years ago but then it got shut down. I know streaming is a thing these days but i'd prefer not to.

Just looking if anyone can recommend a good quality website that is on the lines of what Lovefilm was - order your DVDs/Blu-rays, get them in the post, watch them & return them, job done.

Have you tried your public library?

Round here the branch libraries have quite a selection of DVD's to borrow for a small charge and the main "central" library has BluRay disks too.

You can reserve them online and get the disks sent to the nearest branch or put on the mobile library for its next visit if you are out in the sticks!
  • PDC
    PDC Posts: 805 Forumite
    Even maybe look on ebay - I don't know what the fees were on LoveFilm but there are loads of good DVDs selling for £1/2 on there. When you're done you can either sell them or donate them on somewhere?
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm not sure why you would want a DVD rental service these days with all the streaming options available which are all at least HD and alot in 4K so far higher quality and more convenient.

A local charity shop to me sell's all DVD's for 3 for a £1 and they still can't get rid of them fast enough!. No company could send out 3 DVD's and pay for return postage for less than £1 so it's actually cheaper to buy them than the price any online rental company could offer.
  • Takmon wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you would want a DVD rental service these days with all the streaming options available which are all at least HD and alot in 4K so far higher quality and more convenient.

A local charity shop to me sell's all DVD's for 3 for a £1 and they still can't get rid of them fast enough!. No company could send out 3 DVD's and pay for return postage for less than £1 so it's actually cheaper to buy them than the price any online rental company could offer.

Rural broadband?
  • El_Torro
    El_Torro Posts: 1,463 Forumite

Lovefilm was actually bought by Amazon and became Amazon Prime, so it lives on.

Not that this helps you in any way, since Amazon Prime is just streaming. As mentioned by others DVD rental in the post doesn't seem to be a valid business model any more.
  • El_Torro wrote: »
    Amazon ran the DVD rental service for some time then closed it. It had a much wider selection of films than either prime or netflix offer.

To the OP, try Cinema Paradiso.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    I know i could hop on Google but with bogus sites out there i want to try avoid getting from somewhere that appears decent but isn't.

I've had a similar quandry. I was a Lovefilm by rental customer but eventually moved to streaming when the service was cancelled. However a few months back I realised that firstly I was spending more over a month on streaming new movies than I did renting DVD/Blurays from Lovefilm, and secondly the quality on some streams was sometimes very poor, even over a decent fibre broadband connection.

Like the post suggested above I've since subscribed to Cinema Paradiso and they've so far been very good. Anyone who tells you that a HD Stream is as good, or better, quality than a physical bluray is talking nonsense.
  • neilmcl
    El_Torro wrote: »

Not that this helps you in any way, since Amazon Prime is just streaming. As mentioned by others DVD rental in the post doesn't seem to be a valid business model any more.
    Lovefilm didn't become Amazon Prime, it remained as Amazon Lovefilm by Rental until it was closed last year.
  • neilmcl
    Takmon wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you would want a DVD rental service these days with all the streaming options available which are all at least HD and alot in 4K so far higher quality and more convenient
    Streaming is rarely going to be higher quality than physical media. Also if you're interested in watching the latest movie releases streaming can be more expensive.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of advantages to streaming, convenience being one of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure