ColdIron Posts: 9,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Might have :)
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    shortcroft wrote: »
    I posted as Athenaia2016:

I applied to the Trustees (Melanie and Steve Long) to have my parent's Trusts wound up several months ago and have been given the run around by them. Last month I was advised in writing that Steven Long was seriously ill. However I have also been advised by another Trust beneficiary in a similar situation that he is in another country.

Having read Reaper's link to a BBC article at post #24, I think both explanations are equally plausible.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,311 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    All pretty much standard IHT/Nursing Home avoidance tactics, much of which would probably achieve the desired end if done at the right time.

The trust/product cannot be put in place with the purpose of being outside of the means test for local authority care. It has to be a coincidence. i.e. Absolutely fine that it is done for an IHT need. And if that happens to make it exempt from the means test as well then that is just luck rather than planning. If it is planned on the basis of the means test then it is wrong and would be deprivation of assets and potentially benefit fraud.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Interesting that a number of posters to this thread have been contacted by MSE after universal wealth have been in touch. I wonder if the fact this thread comes up first on google before their own website has something to do with that!!
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Apparently I am not allowed to say whether I have been contacted. :whistle:
  • Well I guess now is a good time to provide an update on my mothers dealings with Universal Wealth.

After the sale of her house as previously posted they didn't release the funds to her. After my posts on here and her employing a solicitor and barrister (at great cost) suddenly they started to send money to her account!

Eventually all her money was returned to her. She never got a real explanation why it took 3 months and a barrister to contact them for it to be released (I have my suspicions why).

She is now left with a large legal bill but at least no longer penniless or homeless !!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,311 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I just realised that I have also been told that I cannot say that I have been contacted either.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • There is not going to be many people left on MSE forums that Universal Wealth haven't complained about soon!!!
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,043 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 13 March 2017 at 4:43PM
    So, if I understand correctly... The OP had posted their situation on here regarding Universal Wealth looking for other's comments and during this entire time had struggled to get any sort of meaningful communication from Universal Wealth and yet as some people offered their opinions and pointed to links highlighting that this possibly wasn't a good scheme to belong to Universal Wealth managed to communicate very effectively and efficiently with virtually every poster (possibly) but were unable to liaise with the OP until they incurred significant cost in employing a solicitor and a barrister in order to resolve the original issue with Universal Wealth.

This doesn't really put Universal Wealth in a very good light from a customer service perspective. If this type of 'plan' / 'scheme' was something I was considering then I don't believe Universal Wealth would be an organisation I would consider worthy of engaging with.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,201 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    cloud_dog wrote: »
    So, if I understand correctly... The OP had posted their situation on here regarding Universal Wealth looking for other's comments and during this entire time had struggled to get any sort of meaningful communication from Universal Wealth and yet as soon as some people offered their opinions and pointed to links highlighting that this possibly wasn't a good scheme to belong to Universal Wealth managed to communicate very effectively and efficiently with virtually every poster (possibly) but were unable to liaise with the OP until they incurred significant cost in employing a solicitor and a barrister in order to resolve the original issue with Universal Wealth.

This doesn't really put Universal Wealth in a very good light from a customer service perspective. If this type of 'plan' / 'scheme' was something I was considering then I don't believe I Universal Wealth would be an organisation I would consider worthy of engaging with.

My interpretation is that Universal Wealth contacted MSE, who then contacted individual posters.

Allegedly:p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport