Travel Insurance - How to insure when not travelling from 'Home' / 'Home Country

Options
Hey all.

Trying to stay ahead of the game, I sorted my travel insurance for the upcoming winter sports holiday at the start of february.

I am going with family, who live in Ireland, and as we live so close to the port, it made sense to just go over that side and fly from Dublin to Toulouse.

Did the insurance on a UK website, as I had done the previous trips. Except when I was looking on behalf of those in Ireland for insurance I noticed the stipulations were that they were residents of Ireland, and the journey commenced from and ended from their home country. Which made reconsider reading the terms of mine and saw that it too had similar terms.

I went on live chat and eventually, they admitted that in the event of claiming, the policy would be invalid if I tried to claim because I am from the Uk, but did not start and end the journey from the UK. Got a refund, so all good.

(TLDR) Now my question is, if im from UK, but flying from and to Ireland, how do I insure myself, when the UK sites require you to be British and fly to and from Britain, but Ireland will only insure you if you are from there. How do those who live on borders and fly from neighbouring countries (kinda like myself) get valid insurance?

Was probably just lucky i didnt have to claim on our previous trips, as these would have almost certainly have been invalid too, which is a scary thought.

If anyone has any insight, that would be marvelous. Thanks :)
Competition Hobby start date 12/4/18

2018 Wins: Thorntons personalised plaque. Goodreads Novel. £10 freebirthdaylottery survey draw.

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    How do you get to Dublin?
    I have had friends going to the U.S. by flying or ferry to Ireland - does their holiday not start when travelling to Dublin ie they do start in UK but fly to their ultimate destination via Dublin?
  • EssBiem
    EssBiem Posts: 39 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am getting the ferry to ireland, and driving to dublin, then flying. The advisor in live chat said that if there were available flights from belfast (also UK) going to toulouse the same day then my policy would be invalid because in theory i could have gone via a uk airport. crystalski ie did not offer that as an option though. when i told them there were flights from belfast to toulouse the same day they said my policy would be invalid and offered me a refund.,

2018 Wins: Thorntons personalised plaque. Goodreads Novel. £10 freebirthdaylottery survey draw.
  • EssBiem
    Options
    Anyone had any experience in this? The past posts on the forum haven't shed much light on the final steps op took.

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did you book for a single trip point A to to point B rather than a holiday?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Seems strange, surely your holiday starts and ends in the UK. The fact you are going via Ireland is not relevant, you have a two centre holiday, Ireland and France.

When I went to Argentina and Brazil, I didn't take out insurance in Brazil to start my Argentina portion of the holiday. I flew London to Rio (Brazil), then Rio to Argentina; spent a week in Argentina then crossed the border back to Brazil. Isn't that the same as your scenerio?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • EssBiem
    Options
    Yeah a) i may have overthought it, or b) the advisor may not quite have understood my query. I'll just add a day on either end of my trip to get to and from the UK.

If you did read this and respond, thanks. I think i did in fact book a single trip and not a holiday.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure