Copyright

JCS1
JCS1 Posts: 5,288 Forumite
Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
A few years ago, MSE stated that for any pictures uploaded on to the site, that MSE held copyright and that they could use.

Does this still remain in place?

There was a cross stitch cafe where members post photos of their work, but there was much unhappiness that MSE took copyright.

Comments

• JCS1 wrote: »
    A few years ago, MSE stated that for any pictures uploaded on to the site, that MSE held copyright and that they could use.

Does this still remain in place?

There was a cross stitch cafe where members post photos of their work, but there was much unhappiness that MSE took copyright.
    7.1. When you post content on our Site, you agree and represent that you have created that content. You still own any copyright in the text that you post on our Site. However, when you post text, images, video or other media, you expressly grant us a perpetual, fully transferable, worldwide royalty-free licence to republish that text on our Site and to use/redistribute/make available and/or sell that text in any format and on any platform, either now known or hereinafter invented anywhere in the world as part of an edited compilation or otherwise...
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/terms-conditions/

:xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmassign:
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    But for the most part you don't actually post it to the site. You only post a link. MSE can use the link as they see fit but it doesn't stop you removing the content of that link that is hosted on a different site

I would have said that the rights that they claim compromise the copyright holders rights quite significantly. As the copyright holder you are entitled to alter your copyrighted work as you see fit, nothing they say can remove that right.
  • JCS1
    So how does that work? Copyright is with the designer of the chart, but MSE are also claiming Copyright?

And if I have spent several months working on a piece, for MSE to post it elsewhere and not to give credit is wrong.
  • JCS1 wrote: »
    So how does that work? Copyright is with the designer of the chart, but MSE are also claiming Copyright?

No that is incorrect. Let me try again...
    7.1. When you post content on our Site, you agree and represent that you have created that content. You still own any copyright in the text that you post on our Site. However, when you post text, images, video or other media, you expressly grant us a perpetual, fully transferable, worldwide royalty-free licence to republish that text on our Site and to use/redistribute/make available and/or sell that text in any format and on any platform, either now known or hereinafter invented anywhere in the world as part of an edited compilation or otherwise...
    JCS1 wrote: »
    And if I have spent several months working on a piece, for MSE to post it elsewhere and not to give credit is wrong.
    1.2. The Site is provided to you free of charge for your personal use, subject to these Terms and our Privacy Policy. Please read these Terms and our Privacy Policy before using our Site. By using our Site you are agreeing to be bound by these Terms and our Privacy Policy. If you don't agree to these Terms or our Privacy Policy, you should stop using and accessing the Site...

:xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmassign:
  • JCS1
    No need for the "try again" comment was there?

So it states I own copyright to the text, it doesn't mention copyright of designs/pictures.

Also, I object to MSE posting my work for their benefit. Whilst legally they can do it, morally it is wrong.

So the answer is to leave the forum, which is what quite a lot of people seem to be doing lately.
  • PDC
    PDC Posts: 805 Forumite
    It all sounds very similar to the Facebook terms hoo-ha that starts up every so often - If its of help, https://www.howtogeek.com/304037/does-facebook-own-my-photos/
  • JCS1
    But facebook don't copy pictures over to their own Pinterest pages. MSE do
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you do not want MSE to share what you post then don't post it in a format they can use.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure