HSBC vs first direct

124»

Comments

• ccdorset
    ccdorset Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Do you only have one bank? If you have multiple current accounts in multiple banks, you can keep 1 or 2 account to keep things stable, while switch the others to get bonuses. That's what I've been doing.

I have 2 current accounts at the moment, one with Halifax and the other with Nationwide. My salary goes into the Halifax and all bills come out of there. I transfer £1000 a month to Nationwide to get the 5% on the Flex Direct account and have £250 going into a regular saver at 5%. That is due to mature in June and the 5% on the current account will drop to 1%, so I could look to switch the Nationwide account then and make use of a switcher offer.
  • myth123
    myth123 Posts: 386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have both and use FD as my main bank account. If I didn't have FD as my main banking I wouldn't choose HSBC for it, I'd probably move my main banking to Nationwide.
  • ccdorset
    ccdorset Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    myth123 wrote: »
    I have both and use FD as my main bank account. If I didn't have FD as my main banking I wouldn't choose HSBC for it, I'd probably move my main banking to Nationwide.

Yes I haven’t had any issues with Nationwide. Not sure whether i’ll stick with them when the rate goes down to 1% on the current account though or look for something better.
  • HSBC has better looking online/app banking, but First Direct’s offers all the same functionality.

Ringing and not hearing a robot, or going through to Mumbai is such a relief, FDs service is great.
    Normally though, I might go more than a year before I ever need to ring my bank.

The only thing I’d mention is if you’re a HSBC Advance customer you go through to a dedicated UK call centre, so if phone support is important to you, that may sway you. HSBC were also great with me when I was in financial difficulty.
  • No_6
    No_6 Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just go for both and move money around...
    who looks at a better online account site / app banking .

it's what YOU get from using them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport