PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Major works, £50k for damp-proofing one flat...

Hi there.

I’ve been served by my management agent with a section 20c estimate (complete with 3 quotes), so I have a month to respond to proposed major works.
I am a leaseholder in a block of 8 flats, first built in 1890. One of the flats apparently has rising damp, and damp-proofing is required. It was first reported in 2014.
The total cost proposed is £50k (inc. VAT), spread over the 8 flats, and my share is £6,500. Only £8k of this cost is damp-proofing. The rest is stripping the flat then re-furbing it afterwards. Then there is an 11.5% cut for the surveyor and a 6% cut for the management company.
I did know about the proposed works when I bought the flat (in Feb), so it’s not a total surprise, just the cost is…!

I’d obviously like to use the consultation period to get an independent surveyor in, to check that this particular damp-proofing is the right plan and assess what work actually needs doing. Also, I can send the list of works proposed to a builder and ask for an estimate to check the costs of the 3 already quoted. Also, the percentage cut for the surveyors and management companies… I understand a charge, but a cut seems unfair. So can anyone help before I sell a kidney to find £6.5k?!!

- Are surveying/management company charges on major works regulated/recommended? What is reasonable?

- How much of the resulting costs of damp-proofing are a shared problem? Total re-plastering, a paint job, new sink etc.?

- Bearing in mind it’s not my flat, do I have any rights in getting an independent damp surveyor? They will need access after all.

Big thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    The quote is mind boggling high! Even the 'only 8k' bit....

Is the flat below ground? ie in a cellar etc? Even then, the quote is high.

You will have to check your lease to see what you are responsible for.. I'm a little surprised you are being charged for stripping and refurbing, as that isn't really part of the fabric of the building per se, I'd expect the leaseholder of that flat to have to cover that side of things.
  • Smi1er
    Smi1er Posts: 642 Forumite
    So what damp works are getting done for £8K?

Some internal stripping of plaster might have to happen for the work to be done. If that happens then decoration has to happen. If a kitchen has to be removed to do the works then you might have to pay for the cost of removal/reinstatement, however the same units will be going back. If this happens then remember fitting has to comply with current regs. If the owner decides on a change of kitchen then they have to pay for the new units but they do effectively get free fitting.

I had drainage work done on my house years ago (collapsed drain so insurance). They had to remove the bath (ground floor bathroom) to gain access. In doing so they damaged a few tiles so had to retile the entire bathroom. When the bath was out I asked what would happen if I replace the bath? I was told that they were paid to remove the bath and toilet, and as the tiles were now damaged they also had to remove the basic. They would refit whatever suite I had. Effectively I got a new bathroom for the price of a new suite.

I'd be asking for a full breakdown
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    As you probably know, a section 20 consultation has strict rules. It has 3 stages:

1. A notice of intention
    2. Notification of estimates
    3. Notification of award of contract

It sounds like you're at stage 2.

Stage 1 would have specified what work was going to be done, and if you didn't agree, ideally you should have challenged it then.

Now would be the time to challenge the estimates for the work.

If might be worth reading some of these:
    https://www.lease-advice.org/faq/what-is-the-section-20-consultation-process-for-major-works/
    https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-guide/section-20-consultation-private-landlords-resident-management-companies-agents/

You can also book a call for free advice here:
    https://clients.lease-advice.org/appointments.aspx
  • Hey everyone, thanks for your replies. I am at stage 2.

Yup, hands up, ideally I would have challenged the work when I bought the place! But I was knee-deep in other lease issues at the time and I let it go by (a few mates said things like "it cost me 3k to damp proof mine - shouldn't be too bad" HA! Plus, when I asked for an idea of costs, of course the managing agent had no idea.

I've just spoken to the lease advisory, who were really helpful, but also realistic and unsurprised! His thoughts were:

The lease says that I the lessee am to contribute to "the expenses of maintaining, repairing and renewing..... the roofs foundations and main structure of the building"

So - of COURSE I can see an argument that this is part of fabric of the building. But, also, when you buy a basement/lower ground flat (I occupy the other one in the building), you know there's more of a chance of damp, and act accordingly. Could this damp-proofing be viewed as an improvement?

Also, there are lots of different sorts of damp-proofing - it's worth asking for the management agent to send me the surveyor's reasons to suggest his this course of action (ie, it HAS to be done or the block of flats will fall down).

All thoughts gratefully received, you kind people.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 14 September 2018 at 5:30PM
    Then there is an 11.5% cut for the surveyor and a 6% cut for the management company.
    Surely this is an incentive for them to inflate the price. Why pay either a proportion of the total cost?

Talk to the other residents about the right to manage.
  • Thanks. I hear you, but sadly I’m fairly sure we’re past RTM on this particular issue.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]If it was built in 1890 the building may not have had a damp proof course to start with so its introduction now can be seen as an addition or improvement which maybe cannot be charged to you under the maintain/repair/renew clause. It its not there in the 1st place you can't maintain/repair or renew it.[/FONT]
  • Thanks. I hear you, but sadly I’m fairly sure we’re past RTM on this particular issue.
    The suggestion was for future issues. Other residents may be unhappy about the current works, working together is likely to get better results.
  • I'm new to all things leasehold so have been reading with interest. Would the buildings insurance not cover the damp proofing work?
  • Hi there Hipperty, I've checked with our buildings insurance firm, and it does not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure