Missed Mortage Payments

Hi All,

In December 2017 and January 2018 I 'missed' 2 mortgage payments as I was unemployed.
I had contacted Santander to ask for a payment holiday and they said these did not exist, but we worked a Payment plan.
We paid back the arrears within 6 weeks, and my credit score is the highest it has been in ages.
Today we called them to arrange a new fixed term mortgage and instead of the 1.83% rate we had been quoted by our advisor for 2 years, they quoted 3.75% and used our 'defaulted payments' as the reason.
This adds £200 extra a month to our payments and all they could say was ' you should be clear in 6-12 months'.
Could do with some help as I was never told this would happen, and would have found another way of paying my mortgage if this was known! Thanks

Comments

• poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Could do with some help as I was never told this would happen, and would have found another way of paying my mortgage if this was known! Thanks
    What did you think would happen?
    poppy10
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    We paid back the arrears within 6 weeks, and my credit score is the highest it has been in ages.

Unfortunately, that would only be of any use if you were applying for an Experian mortgage.

Unfortunately, Experian don't do mortgages.

Lenders will price on risk.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Your credit history shows that you don't always make payments on time.

Did you arrange the payment holiday on the phone? Got any paperwork? (They probably told you the conditions on the phone - sure you listened?)
  • minimike2
    minimike2 Posts: 2,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    To clarify, are you just looking for a new product with Santander and not looking to make any other changes to the mortgage? All the arrears are now cleared and payments are now being made on time?
  • Hi

Just looking for a new fixed term mortgage, no other changes - happy to use another lender. Arrears cleared in 6 weeks (they gave us 3 months) and all payments being made on time. Credit score is 600, and no loans, credit card on zero etc
  • Do you know it is quite stressful when you are in that situation, and clear thinking isn't always easy! Calling the lender and arranging a plan before things got bad seemed like a good thing to do!!!!
  • ViolaLass
    Do you know it is quite stressful when you are in that situation, and clear thinking isn't always easy! Calling the lender and arranging a plan before things got bad seemed like a good thing to do!!!!

I agree, I'm sure it was very stressful but that's not the same as "I wasn't told", which is what you claimed in your first post.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You need to wait for 6-12 months before applying for a new product with them.
  • minimike2 wrote: »
    To clarify, are you just looking for a new product with Santander and not looking to make any other changes to the mortgage? All the arrears are now cleared and payments are now being made on time?
    Whats this?

Hi

Just looking for a new fixed term mortgage, no other changes - happy to use another lender. Arrears cleared in 6 weeks (they gave us 3 months) and all payments being made on time. Credit score is 600, and no loans, credit card on zero etc
  • ViolaLass
    Incidentally, do you use your CC and pay off in full every month? If not, you're missing a chance to improve your credit history (not score).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure