PS4 Pro/Xbox one X Upgrade

Comments

• GTR_King
    GTR_King Posts: 1,788
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You really think watching Blu Rays On XB1/PS4 Will decrease disc drive life?

why buy blu ray player if you can use XB1/PS4..

my ps4 Still fine and watched loads of blu rays on it
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    custardy wrote: »
    M$ manage a 4K drive in their 'basic' console.
    The fact Sony dont even in their 'pro' version is ridiculous.
    love you think adding a 4K player purchase to the PS4 Pro is a sensible option.....

Better than potentially knocking a few years off the life of the console. Its just what i would do. People can take that view on board and make their own decision what is best.
  • donnajunkie
    Forumite
    GTR_King wrote: »
    You really think watching Blu Rays On XB1/PS4 Will decrease disc drive life?

why buy blu ray player if you can use XB1/PS4..

my ps4 Still fine and watched loads of blu rays on it

Its logical the more use it gets the more likely its lifespan will be shortened. However of course you dont want to be overly paranoid and limiting your enjoyment. I would use a seperate bluray player for watching movies. As i have said in another post its upto you to decide what you feel is best.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Better than potentially knocking a few years off the life of the console. Its just what i would do. People can take that view on board and make their own decision what is best.

Well you are using a current gen console.
    I would expect to be upgrading long before the drive is an issue.
    We have 2 xbox ones now. A new S (for 4K) allowing the 'old' One to be used upstairs.
    i fully expect to upgrade to a One X at some point depending on feature/game support.
    Why would I want to have another player?
    I haven't had a drive issue since the original xbox.
  • Worth noting that given MS have just released the X, you can pretty much guarantee that Sony will be responding.. plenty of rumours circulating online that a PS5 is in development.
    :exclamatiTo the internet.. I need to complain about something!
  • custardy
    Forumite
    Worth noting that given MS have just released the X, you can pretty much guarantee that Sony will be responding.. plenty of rumours circulating online that a PS5 is in development.

Um they responded by pushing through the Pro release.
    Of course a Ps5 and Xbox whatever is in development.
  • donnajunkie
    Forumite
    custardy wrote: »
    Well you are using a current gen console.
    I would expect to be upgrading long before the drive is an issue.
    We have 2 xbox ones now. A new S (for 4K) allowing the 'old' One to be used upstairs.
    i fully expect to upgrade to a One X at some point depending on feature/game support.
    Why would I want to have another player?
    I haven't had a drive issue since the original xbox.

I want to be able to play my old games for as long as possible. If an old console dies it means trying to find a second hand one somewhere because obviously old consoles stop being made. My old ps3 is 8 years old. The last time it was used it was fine but being sat unused for quite a while has somehow caused it to now have difficulty reading game discs. Luckily my dad got a later model more recently so i can play my old games on that.
  • custardy
    Forumite
    I want to be able to play my old games for as long as possible. If an old console dies it means trying to find a second hand one somewhere because obviously old consoles stop being made. My old ps3 is 8 years old. The last time it was used it was fine but being sat unused for quite a while has somehow caused it to now have difficulty reading game discs. Luckily my dad got a later model more recently so i can play my old games on that.

I have a Saturn & N64 that still work.
    Sony used a dual laser drive that had a poor life expectancy IIRC.
    Its not a benchmark for all optical drive equipped items
  • GTR_King
    GTR_King Posts: 1,788
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Don't think there will be a PS5 In the near future
  • Sony are in the perfect place to see how disc based media is going. Not only do they manufacture the drives for Microsoft, they have movie studios and media production and replication.

They know 4k Blu-ray is dead in the water, very few people want physical media, the world has gone digital. Hi have a look how abysmal 4k movie selection is. Its not going to get better.

This is why Sony didn't include a 4k drive, they spend the money where it mattered.

Other points..

Don't get either if you don't have a 4k TV, both consoles need to do extra processing to downscale 4k to something your TV is capable of displaying. TVs only upscale.

You will be hard pushed to spot and real difference between PS4 Pro and xbox1 X, don't be fooled by paper specs, use your own eyes. Get the one that has the games you want (personally I think the PlayStation games lineup totally destroys the Xbox in this regard)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure