PPI Where To Start

Hello Folks

Finally taking the plunge and looking to recover PPI, but how to go about it?

I've had various cards and loans from different companies and don't have much of the detail for older ones. I read the step by step guide and it seems the first thing is to call the company. But what am I asking for? Is it simply whether I've had PPI with them, or something more?

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You're asking if you had PPI.
  • Yorks64
    Yorks64 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Thanks zx81, then presumably if the answer is positive I follow up in writing.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, with your complaint reasons for mis sale.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Yorks64 wrote: »
    Thanks zx81, then presumably if the answer is positive I follow up in writing.

In most cases, if they tell you on the phone that you had PPI, they will also ask you if you wish to make a complaint and they will take your complaint over the phone there and then.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Yorks64
    Took the plunge yesterday and started phoning. First up was Tesco. They said I have no PPI. Is it likely they would "pull a fast one" and say that as a fob off, or should I just move onto the next?

Egg is proving difficult. There's a number for them via Barclaycard but it just rings for a while and then flicks to engaged.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Took the plunge yesterday and started phoning. First up was Tesco. They said I have no PPI. Is it likely they would "pull a fast one" and say that as a fob off
    Not likely at all..

If you don't want to hang on the telephone to Egg, write to them.
  • Yorks64
    Not likely at all..

If you don't want to hang on the telephone to Egg, write to them.

Thanks. Same story today with Barclaycard. I must be the only person the planet with no PPI!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    They said I have no PPI. Is it likely they would "pull a fast one" and say that as a fob off, or should I just move onto the next?

You mean, are they knowingly likely to commit fraud? No. Imprisonment, sanctions and removal of permissions along with massive fines act as a deterrent. One lender got caught making very little effort and was fined massively and has had to go back over every case.
    I must be the only person the planet with no PPI!
    No. Most people never bought PPI. You are with the majority.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    .Same story today with Barclaycard. I must be the only person the planet with no PPI!
    That's not the case.
    In fact, Banks report that many many "complaints" (alleging all kinds of wrong-doing) are received from people who never had any PPI.

At least you don't fall into that particular category... :)
  • Yorks64
    dunstonh wrote: »
    You mean, are they knowingly likely to commit fraud? No. Imprisonment, sanctions and removal of permissions along with massive fines act as a deterrent. One lender got caught making very little effort and was fined massively and has had to go back over every case.

No. Most people never bought PPI. You are with the majority.

Good to know on both counts I guess. Although a little windfall would be nice!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure