Dacia Logan

Anyone got one or even driven one?

Thinking about a new one for my next car and I am looking for any feedback that I can get, it looks a good deal on paper but you can't beat first hand experience :)

The model I am thinking about is the Logan MCV Ambiance Prime 1.2 16V @ £8295

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Anyone got one or even driven one?

Thinking about a new one for my next car and I am looking for any feedback that I can get, it looks a good deal on paper but you can't beat first hand experience :)

The model I am thinking about is the Logan MCV Ambiance Prime 1.2 16V @ £8295

Depends what you want and what your expectations are. My view after looking at these with my FIL with a view to it being a replacement for his beloved Renault Modus.
    • The 1.2 is not the engine to go for if you want any sort of acceleration. The 0.9TCE is the better engine
    • The dash is a huge big slab of grey plastic with an aftermarket radio fitted. Very 1980s.
    • They are bigger than a fiesta, but smaller than a focus, so they straddle two established size points.
    • The interior is cheap and feels it
    • You will get a nearly new non-budget car for the same money

He opted for a 6 month old Nissan Note 1.2DGT with all the toys - metallic paint, reversing cam, NAV, alloys, climate, etc and just 6,000 miles on it for £8495 (compared to a list price of something like £14,000)

BUT - you pays your money....
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    Depends what you want and what your expectations are. My view after looking at these with my FIL with a view to it being a replacement for his beloved Renault Modus.
    • The 1.2 is not the engine to go for if you want any sort of acceleration. The 0.9TCE is the better engine
    • The dash is a huge big slab of grey plastic with an aftermarket radio fitted. Very 1980s.
    • They are bigger than a fiesta, but smaller than a focus, so they straddle two established size points.
    • The interior is cheap and feels it
    • You will get a nearly new non-budget car for the same money

He opted for a 6 month old Nissan Note 1.2DGT with all the toys - metallic paint, reversing cam, NAV, alloys, climate, etc and just 6,000 miles on it for £8495 (compared to a list price of something like £14,000)

BUT - you pays your money....

Looks don't matter much but thanks for the info on the acceleration, I would hate to get stuck with a pup trying to get away from a junction.

Going for the new car rather than second hand to get the warranty's but I will keep looking.
  • motorguy
    Looks don't matter much but thanks for the info on the acceleration, I would hate to get stuck with a pup trying to get away from a junction.

Going for the new car rather than second hand to get the warranty's but I will keep looking.

Take a test drive in one. Also drive the 0.9TCE. Sounds like a small engine but its turbo'd and works very well.

They are a lot of car for the money.

Worth checking out the broker sites such as https://www.broadspeed.com as some new cars you can get 20% off whereas your Dacia is pretty much not discounted. It might put a dearer car within budget after discount.

Also, check out pre-reg deals, ex demos of mainstream brands too. You can do searches on autotrader like "5 door hatchback, 2016, less than 6000 miles, petrol, under £9K"

Also, check out the likes of KIA and Hyundai. You could, for example, buy a 2 year old KIA i30 which would still have a 5 year warranty remaining....
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    Take a test drive in one. Also drive the 0.9TCE. Sounds like a small engine but its turbo'd and works very well.

They are a lot of car for the money.

Worth checking out the broker sites such as https://www.broadspeed.com as some new cars you can get 20% off whereas your Dacia is pretty much not discounted. It might put a dearer car within budget after discount.

Also, check out pre-reg deals, ex demos of mainstream brands too. You can do searches on autotrader like "5 door hatchback, 2016, less than 6000 miles, petrol, under £9K"

Also, check out the likes of KIA and Hyundai. You could, for example, buy a 2 year old KIA i30 which would still have a 5 year warranty remaining....

Not looking for a hatchback, looking for an estate car and it is tough to get a nearly new one for this kind of price.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Its only tough if you get the basic model with zero extra's.

Getting a 6 month old car may mean less warranty but 6 months is nothing and you should be getting something far superior in the first place.

Meriva Estate 2016 model £8000 Exclusiv trim from a main dealer. It will be like a new car. Lifetime warranty?

Not my sort of car but given the choice a Used Merive or a Logan my moneys on the Meriva.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• motorguy
    Not looking for a hatchback, looking for an estate car and it is tough to get a nearly new one for this kind of price.

Check the overall space though - the Logan spans two size points so depending on the loads you want to carry you might well get as much or more in a Focus sized hatchback.

As per the previous post - i'd have a look at the Meriva. (I think the lifetime warranty is over though)

Dont get me wrong - the Dacia could end up being the absolute right choice for you but make sure you're aware of its limitations as i listed above, check the nearly new alternatives and take a good long test drive before committing. They're cheap for a reason.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Its only tough if you get the basic model with zero extra's.

Getting a 6 month old car may mean less warranty but 6 months is nothing and you should be getting something far superior in the first place.

Meriva Estate 2016 model £8000 Exclusiv trim from a main dealer. It will be like a new car. Lifetime warranty?

Not my sort of car but given the choice a Used Merive or a Logan my moneys on the Meriva.

I quite like the idea of buying a car with zero extras. Means you can retrofit the majority of them (AC being an exception) and save a shed load of money + install parts that are easier to replace/less likely to fail.

On the other hand..... it's a Dacia. That's enough to send shivers up my spine.
  • motorguy
    Stoke wrote: »
    I quite like the idea of buying a car with zero extras. Means you can retrofit the majority of them (AC being an exception) and save a shed load of money + install parts that are easier to replace/less likely to fail.

On the other hand..... it's a Dacia. That's enough to send shivers up my spine.

I cant see retrofitting electric windows, alloy wheels, colour coding the bumpers, adding remote central locking, etc working out cheaper than getting it done by the manufacturer as part of a trim upgrade?
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    There's nothing fundamentally wrong with them. They're basically obsolete Renaults with the minimum of extra features, as reflected in the price.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • gabitzul
    gabitzul Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 December 2016 at 11:24AM
    iolanthe07 wrote: »
    There's nothing fundamentally wrong with them. They're basically obsolete Renaults with the minimum of extra features, as reflected in the price.

Obsolete? I think that's a bit harsh really, when the 0.9 TCE is a new engine shared with other much more expensive Renault models, it has cruise control*, Bluetooth* (actually works very well, including for media playing from a phone, which my Merc C Class 2009 does not do, for example), aircon, electric windows etc.

They can even be retrofitted with GPL from the factory (the said sister has a 2016 Logan 0.9), with running costs equivalent in GBP to 30p per litre!). Fuel consumption for her is in the mid 50s MPG on petrol and just under 50 MPG on GPL.

3 year warranty so no worries. And they are tough, made in Romania and people there do not have a lot of mechanical sympathy. Plus the roads are, well, not that great in general (and I am Romanian so I know what I am talking about).

BUT - do your homework as already said. They drive well but my Jazz 2010 I think it drives much better. I did not like the driving position that much in the Logan for some reason, it leaned in the corners a bit too much, but maybe because they are softly sprung for comfort.

*Depending on spec, my sister has a Laureate, which had Bluetooth but not cruise control, so you might need to go for the top spec to get that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure