help needed

I work for a security company on 12 hr shifts and at the moment i am working 4 days 3 nights with 4 days off and then i work 3 days and 4 nights with 3 days off duty.

Due to some personel reasons i wanted to change over to permanent nights but my line manager is saying that he will have to ask HR as "moving onto nights permanently has a knock on effect with the working directive, whereby you are not exempt from the 48 hours week"

can you please advise if this is correct?

Comments

• YoYoY
    YoYoY Posts: 281 Forumite
    ad473 wrote: »
    I work for a security company on 12 hr shifts and at the moment i am working 4 days 3 nights with 4 days off and then i work 3 days and 4 nights with 3 days off duty.

Due to some personel reasons i wanted to change over to permanent nights but my line manager is saying that he will have to ask HR as "moving onto nights permanently has a knock on effect with the working directive, whereby you are not exempt from the 48 hours week"

I don't know about the technicalities, but I'm sure your manager is correct in that he will need to speak with HR as it will be bound to have a knock on effect to others.

I'm sure HR will explain to you, perhaps via your manager, any issues your request may involve you in, especially if they are not able to accomodate your request. :)
  • CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    ad473 wrote: »

Hi

There are special rules that apply to night workers in respect of working time.
    You are classed as a night worker if you regularly work for at least 3 hours of night time (defined as seven hours including the hours from midnight to 5am) during a working day.

If you are a night worker, you should not have to work more than an average of eight hours in each 24 hour period. This is averaged out over a period of 17 weeks. This is called the reference period.
    However the the limit on hours for night workers do not apply to some groups of night workers.

Suggest you contact The Pay and Work Rights helpline for further clarification which is a confidential service which can advise on working hours and night work. You can contact the helpline on 0800 917 2368 (text phone: 0800 121 4042).
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure