Our attempt at being MF!!

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What we have seen of it is fab and I have heard it just gets better.

Another £500 paid off cc today :j. Not including this in challenge figures however as this was money from car sale and not our hard work! :D

Have been looking at holidays and am considering an Easter break. Wouldnt be too far away for the children to look forward to. Have £300 of 'free' money floating around the account so what better way to spend it than creating memories???
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • Yes, holidays are non negotiable as far as I am concerned. You can do a lot with £300 if you look carefully. Have fun!
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • CathT
    Tried to book one and failed! The main issue is DH amd I having the same time off which rarely happens apart from weekends. We take opposite annual leave or we would never juggle childcare. I will put the money to one side.

Had a good weekend financially, cleared a cc which means I can start attacking anther now with any extra money that comes our way.

Have set a target for March which again is optimistic but not unachievable. I would like to reduce our WIOTW figure to 109,000 which means finding £643 to pay off cc. It doesn't seem that long ago that our mortgage was for that amount. :D
  • CathT
    Still plodding away! Made a couple of Tilly tidies (40p and another 88p found after money shuffling!)

Gas and electric meter read, in debit with gas but they drastically reduced our dd, am sure we will catch up now coming to the end of cold weather. I've also got DH IMEI number for his old mobile in the hope that is worth a few ££££. (well, maybe not that many!!) :rotfl:

Sent another £4 to cc so total left for the month is £639. I am confident we will do it. :j
  • CathT
    Having a busy week and looking forward to a day off tomorrow :j

Found £39 left in the account day before payday so split that between cc and holiday fund :) I am hoping we might get a last minute Easter break but if not will plan some fab days out. I doubt we will renew NT membership due in the Summer so may make the most of having that.

Food shop well under budget last week and DH used another @ldi voucher yesterday and spent around £50 on this weeks food. I'm pleased with that as there are 2 adults plus children with appetites of adults!

Should try and get in the garden soon and sort out raised beds to get ready for planting. I will have more free time this summer as not studying so may do some experimenting! Otherwise I will just be growing lettuce and rocket! I am going to put together a raised bed kit for my mum too including seeds etc, I think she will appreciate homegrown salads so hopefully be well received :)
  • CathT
    edited 6 March 2015 at 5:18PM
    Payday for DH. 80p Tilly tidy and £67 off 0% cc. Worked out we still need to find £554 to meet target for the month and would also mean we would have hit 29% of target for the year. I guess I should try and hit 30%? Not bad for first quarter though. :T

DH needed car wipers this week costing £30 so only have £30 cash for the week now. I WILL make it last though! At least his car is safer to drive now!

DH has had a letter from work as they are moving onto monthly pay in the coming months, they are being very fair and staggering it and firstly introducing 2-weekly pay so it shouldn't be too much of a shock. Still need to plan for it though and possibly write a new SOA.

Plan for today is to complete my jobs list, tidy and clean the house! I also need to declutter as DH wants to do a car boot sale towards the end of the month. Rather him than me!!
  • HelenDaveKids
    HelenDaveKids Posts: 3,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Dave went from weekly to monthly a few years ago but fortunately he was paid mid month whereas I'm end of month, but then 2 years ago he changed councils and went to end of month. I still miss having a pay day every 2 ish weeks.
    Morgage till Nov 30 GOAL MFW Sept 2016
    Aug 11 - £100k Aug 2016.... It's GONE!!!!!
    2014 GOAL HIT 5 Stone! 2016 GOAL to be a MF marathon runner.
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish"
  • CathT
    edited 7 March 2015 at 7:51PM
    Mid and end of month is a nice balance, what a shame it changed. There will only be 3 days between our paydays so we will be rich for a very short part of the month!

Bit of a spendy morning. Needed to get some chalk paint as BIL is kindly making a plant stand type things from pallets. Also bought seeds and compost as have given my mum a raised bed starter kit! Also bought a few cheap presents for party invitation stash. It soon adds up but we are within budget. I think I have £5 in my purse and £5 floating around the account I will pay off something as the week progresses.

We then had a lovely hour in the park in the sunshine. Was lovely to see how the warm weather has brought so many people out. :) got a lovely day planned tomorrow so hoping that the fine weather sticks around.
  • CathT
    edited 9 March 2015 at 8:28AM
    Didn't get our day out as planned yesterday as was raining so had a quiet day at home before going to a relatives for Sunday lunch so was actually quite relaxing. I was even able to read for half an hour!

Worked out again but appear to have a pulled muscle - ouch! I am going to try and drink more water from now on, prompted by reading MWC diary. I have really dull, dry skin and it really is a no-brainer but somehow really difficult to do when coffee is much more appealing. :D

Checked the account and even after paying cc to cover weekend spends, there appears to be over £20 in the account I haven't mentally spent/paid off something. I do have a gardener coming around tomorrow to give us a quote for a Spring tidy-up (extravagant I know but we simply don't have time) so it could go towards that.

Have also sold a couple of items on fb and should be collected today. That money is going towards the 'float' for a car boot sale at the end of the month.
  • CathT
    Morning all.

Another week is flying by, almost the weekend already!

Not much happening money wise but DH has enabled me to make a Tilly tidy by using the wrong account for petrol! Also had £7 left in the account (very much small scale over here!) so rounded up holiday account (still no idea where to go) and paid £6 off cc. Still have £548 left to hit target for March. :eek:

Can we do it? DH still has 3 paydays, I get paid and CB will hit account. It should be possible even though it seems huge!

We have been managing on food spends of around £45-50 a week (after wine) :beer: which is great! My new car seems a lot better on petrol as well so could be savings of around £20 a month there.

All is good! :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback