£15,000 to 0

Comments

• lonelyrat wrote: »
    This is exactly how I feel. I'm 27 and OH is 25 and we don't have big commitments yet. It sounds kind of dark but youth is a bit fleeting and while it's important to pay debt down it shouldn't come at the cost of experiencing life. AND not feeling as guilty when spending on experiences is totally valid. You have a good plan for paying down the parental loan and you earn good money at the moment, which I'm sure will just keep getting better and better as you progress your career.

I think I'm going to try and follow the same plan as you and take money out of the food budget... It is where most of my money, bar debt payments, goes and it really needs to stop! I think I have quite snobbish/ picky taste when it comes to food so really need to try and reign that in!

Where is it that you're off to? Very jealous :rotfl: but am sure it will be wonderful and is well deserved due to your wage rise!

Nice to see you around again, I was getting a bit worried that you hadn't posted for a while! Hope everything is ok on your end.

We're going to Norway! I've never been to any Scandinavian country so I can't wait! It just happened to be the cheapest place to go :rotfl:
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • I think pinning yourself down to such a tight budget usually results in a rebellion and a splurge. If you can trim some of the food pot into entertainment then that is great - just make sure you maximise the smiles per pound so it is money well invested.

I think you're totally right with this :)
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • Glorious weather today! But stuck at work :(

Norway on Saturday, I haven't packed or anything eek!

I managed to get a payout of £50 from populus, £6 from prolific and I'm so so SO close to £40 on onepoll. Also got a £10 voucher from Shoppix. Looking good this month!
    Total £7,000
  • lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Norway will be lovely! Is it Oslo you're going to? When I was picking holiday places it was Copenhagen or Oslo based on cheapness! I'm sure you'll have a brilliant time. Just checked the weather there and looks like Saturday will be nice, but the next few days not so much :(
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • lonelyrat wrote: »
    Norway will be lovely! Is it Oslo you're going to? When I was picking holiday places it was Copenhagen or Oslo based on cheapness! I'm sure you'll have a brilliant time. Just checked the weather there and looks like Saturday will be nice, but the next few days not so much :(

Oslo :)

I can't wait! I just need to get away from work and stomp around nature a bit to be honest.

Hope it brightens up for you up there!
    Total £7,000
  • lonelyrat
    I know how you feel about getting away from work... I feel the same almost every day :rotfl: Oslo will be awesome, have fun!
  • Thanks lonelyrat!

I still haven't packed :o Tonight will be a busy night!

Had a bit of a cheeky month this month, got an extra £300 in and somehow it's just been swallowed up by various overspends including finally buying new bras and new clothes for the first time in about two years. Before, I'd keep buying them and then feeling guilty and returning them all :rotfl: Also holiday ate up about £200.

I feel as though there's a duality that I'm constantly struggling against. Part of me wants to be frugal and save money and buy a house so that I can bake bread and make jam all day. Part of me wants to go out and travel and have fun and embarrass myself whilst I'm young and it's not too embarrassing to do it.

I just have to make sure that even though I'm increasing my spends budget, I don't go off the rails and get into actual proper consumer debt.

Still inching my way towards cash out on onepoll. £39 and counting. Hopefully I'll get there by the end of the month and then that's it, I'm not doing it again, it's not worth it!
    Total £7,000
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hope you have a lovely break.

Making jam and bread gets dull after a while, and it makes you fat :p
  • Redo, I think you must be right on that one. I love things like gardening, cooking, making jam, making bread, crafting etc and often think wistfully about how much better it would be if I had my own place and more time but the reality is I'd probably be bored out of my mind after a couple of weeks :rotfl:

Back to the UK now after our little excursion to Oslo. I had a really wonderful time but it was even more expensive than I anticipated :eek: a packet of crisps for £7! Water for £3! A main meal each with no sides or drink for £65! :eek:

Luckily I've had a reasonably good month budget wise so that's now my budget blown. I had a great time though so I don't mind.

Annoyingly our flight back was delayed which meant we missed the last train, which meant we paid £40 for a taxi rather than £3.50 each for the train. You win some, you lose some.
    Total £7,000
  • lonelyrat
    Im glad the holiday was good! I knew it was expensive but that's way more than I thought it would be :eek:

Shame about the delay! Same happened to me when I flew down to visit my dad... By the time I arrived the last train had gone and it was £30 for a taxi rather than £6 by train. Not impressed... I did choose the late flight though to save some money on airfare so I might have been tempting the fates with it!

I do think this is all about balance really... Have a life and enjoy yourself but live within your means and also try and save a wee bit. It is hard because having your own place is definitely the dream and almost like a measure of adulthood. But at the same time holidays are amazing :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport