Report Bank Charges successes and failures

Comments

• safestored4
    safestored4 Posts: 464 Forumite
    Stop faffing about and get on with your life. The banks won the court case on charges in 2009 and the financial ombudsman has no power to order them to pay anything more than what they have already offered.
  • Please can someone help?

I m wondering how far back I can claim on my unauthorised overdraft fees? Between 2006 - 2010 I have unauthorsed overdraft fees totalling £3561. Can my bank ( Bank Of Scotland) Go back as far as this?

Thank you
  • Bank: Lloyds
    Amount claimed: About £400
    Amount repaid: £2,166
    I simply phoned Lloyds and asked to close the account because of the £25 pcm fee. The first woman I spoke to said I shouldn't have been paying the fee anyway as it had been ended some time ago. I was put through to someone who would look into my case and I explained that we were originally given the impression that taking the account and its insurance package were central to getting our mortgage agreed. Less than an hour later, she called back offering to refund all the monthly fees. I had expected a reluctant offer of about £400 or £500 but ended up with £2,166. Have to say, the woman was helpful and polite and freely admitted the claim was a legitimate one.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,351 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Bank: Lloyds
    Amount claimed: About £400
    Amount repaid: £2,166
    I simply phoned Lloyds and asked to close the account because of the £25 pcm fee. The first woman I spoke to said I shouldn't have been paying the fee anyway as it had been ended some time ago. I was put through to someone who would look into my case and I explained that we were originally given the impression that taking the account and its insurance package were central to getting our mortgage agreed. Less than an hour later, she called back offering to refund all the monthly fees. I had expected a reluctant offer of about £400 or £500 but ended up with £2,166. Have to say, the woman was helpful and polite and freely admitted the claim was a legitimate one.

Well done but this thread is not on the subject of your charges.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thank you Money Saving Expert, followed your advise and claimed for fees paid on our Gold Account at Lloyds Bank using your sites claim form, due to the fact we did not have any use for the main provision of travel insurance or mobile phone insurance for the monthly fee paid. Within 48 hours I had a £3000 net of tax offer dating back to 1995 from Lloyds and monies in our account within 5 days, without having to produce one item of evidence. Their records apparently go back to 2001 but a compromise of 1995 was offered by Lloyds!! Needless to say we were delighted. Can only encourage anyone else in the same situation to have a go and make a claim. (We currently do not bank with Lloyds!)
  • need some advice... just called Lloyds and requested a "comprehensive list of all charges and transactions" as advise on the site and was told they were unable to do so and could only provide statements... anyone had any luck getting them?

TIA
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,351 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    maslend wrote: »
    need some advice... just called Lloyds and requested a "comprehensive list of all charges and transactions" as advise on the site and was told they were unable to do so and could only provide statements... anyone had any luck getting them?

TIA

They are not required to provide any such breakdown.

Why do you need them?
    It cannot be for an unfair bank charges reclaim as that ended in 2009 when the banks won the court case.
    It cannot be for a financial hardship case as the bank will decide what, if any it will refund (and tend to only look at recent charges - although that depends on the severity)
    It cannot be for packaged bank accounts as its not needed.

So, why do you want them?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    maslend wrote: »
    need some advice... just called Lloyds and requested a "comprehensive list of all charges and transactions" as advise on the site and was told they were unable to do so and could only provide statements... anyone had any luck getting them?
    Read back through the thread. You don't need a list of transactions or statements. The bank already know what you've paid and when. Historical bank charges are not somehow reclaimable, anyhow.

Since 2009, only people in the Bank's definition of current financial hardship are granted refunds of bank charges and then typically only the last six months.
    The Banks don't have to refund anything and any refunds are a goodwill gesture.

Are you in current financial hardship?
  • Lloyds Bank - Successful claim
    Was told I needed a Select account to get a loan and it also had some other 'perks' that would be suitable for me, none of which I used.
    Filled in the form and got a 'phone call later that day. Although they didn't have a full record of the start date of the account the loan I took out at the same time tied it down (March 2001). Was told they had up to 8 weeks to resolve but would try and resolve it by the end of the week.
    On the `Friday evening, I got a 'phone call confirming I had been mis-sold and they would be crediting me with the full amount. They now needed my new bank account details, as I left Lloyds last year, to transfer the money.
    Result - Just over £2000 including interest credited to my new bank account. Just goes to show you don't still have to be with the bank to reclaim miss-selling.
  • This thread is about Bank Charges, not packaged accounts, but well done on your success.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback