PPI Where To Start

Comments

• Yorks64
    Yorks64 Posts: 7 Forumite
    That's not the case.
    In fact, Banks report that many many "complaints" (alleging all kinds of wrong-doing) are received from people who never had any PPI.

At least you don't fall into that particular category... :)

Quite right - I'd prefer to ask first then stick the boot in if necessary.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Yorks64 wrote: »
    Quite right - I'd prefer to ask first then stick the boot in if necessary.

What is your reason for "sticking the boot in" on companies that appear to have done nothing wrong, except for fancying a little windfall?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    IAmWales wrote: »
    What is your reason for "sticking the boot in" on companies that appear to have done nothing wrong, except for fancying a little windfall?
    I think the OP has fallen for the Claim Company myth that PPI might have been added without his knowledge and permission. The fact is that PPI cannot be hidden; on credit cards it appeared itemised on each monthly statement and with loans it was on the Agreement.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Good to know on both counts I guess. Although a little windfall would be nice!

Perhaps not being mis-sold in the first place and have trust and faith in the financial companies you use is better.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Yorks64
    Yorks64 Posts: 7 Forumite
    I think the OP has fallen for the Claim Company myth that PPI might have been added without his knowledge and permission. The fact is that PPI cannot be hidden; on credit cards it appeared itemised on each monthly statement and with loans it was on the Agreement.

Quite possibly. That and reading Martin's Money Tips emails, and then looking at this forum. You get told something often enough then maybe it's worth checking. As we say in these parts you get nowt if you don't ask!

As for the previous poster. Baah! :grin:
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    As for the previous poster. Baah!

I only said it as I know a mortgage broker who had a policeman put in a fraudulent complaint against him saying he missold PPI. The broker had never sold any PPI and when the complaint was rejected the policeman spoke with the broker and got angry that he wasn't mis-sold as he wouldn't be getting a payout.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    dunstonh wrote: »
    I only said it as I know ...
    I think the OP was referring to "I am Wales" post.. :)
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hello Folks

Finally taking the plunge and looking to recover PPI, but how to go about it?

I've had various cards and loans from different companies and don't have much of the detail for older ones. I read the step by step guide and it seems the first thing is to call the company. But what am I asking for? Is it simply whether I've had PPI with them, or something more?

Thanks
    Can you remember how they were missold?
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    lovinituk wrote: »
    Can you remember how they were missold?
    OP first needs to establish if there was any PPI...
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    OP first needs to establish if there was any PPI...
    That's kind of the point I was working towards. If they can't remember if they even had PPI in the first place, how can they possibly remember that it was missold?!

Mr Lewis has a lot to answer for!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport