Dvla drug test advice needed

Hi, I'm just after some advice as I can't find any specific answer on the web,

I was banned from driving in march 2016 for dangerous driving, I wasn't under the influence of anything I just had a text from my daughter that my son in law had just beaten up my daughter so lost the plot jumped into my beloved Bmw 5 series msport and lost the plot, I flew over to the flat to sort my son in law out and took a corner about 50 mph and who should be sitting there resting in his car at 3am but a traffic police man in his Bmw 5 series, I hit him head on and wrote both cars off and hence the ban for a year, I informed the police why I was driving fast and unbeknown to me my daughter had called the police on her husband and he was arrested.
He's a 6ft 6in steroid freak so he's huge and the fact I'm nearly 50 and not intimidated by him he won't front me but vowed revenge!
My ban finished on march 15 2017, when I replied for my licence the dvla told me someone had wrote into them saying I was unfit to drive as I'm a cocaine addict and inject daily (no guesses who this was) and I wad told by the dvla I need to do a medical for drug misuse to prove I'm fit to drive, I had my medical today and I know I'll pass the drugs test as I don't take any drugs, the thing I'm worried about is I'm prescribed 30mg of Valium daily for depression because my seven year old son died.
Does anyone know if this will prevent me getting my licence back and also how long until I can find out?
My ban should be up now and I'm self employed and I lost half my work because I just couldn't get there and if I don't get my licence asap I'll prob be claiming benefits soon.
Any help from someone that knows would be most helpful
Thank you in advance.

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    As long as your drug reading is under 550µg/L you should be ok.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Did you tell the people who did the test you took prescribed Valium?

This is easily proved by a letter from your Doctor if necessary so I wouldn't worry.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Presumably you also have to do an extended retest before you get your licence back?
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Car_54 wrote: »
    Presumably you also have to do an extended retest before you get your licence back?

Yes, he'll be disqualified until test passed.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 June 2022 at 4:49PM
    Does anyone know if this will prevent me getting my licence back and also how long until I can find out?
    Prescribed pharmaceuticals will not be an issue - so long as your GP hasn't advised you not to drive while taking them.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Prescribed pharmaceuticals will not be an issue - so long as your GP hasn't advised you not to drive while taking them.

Diazepam is covered by drug driving so it maybe an issue.
  • Yes I told the dvla the whole truth about my prescription of diazepam and the doctor confirmed, but to be honest I haven't taken the whole 30mg per day for months I just didn't stop them because they are like gold dust to get from your doctor, so hopefully I'll pass that test, as for drink and drugs I don't take any because I'm a fitness freak and run marathons etc so doing gear or drinking would ruin that.
    And yep I have to take an extended test including theory and hazard perception before I get it back, shame I never had a driving conviction in 25 years but I suppose if I hit a traffic police car while speeding that's my own fault, fingers crossed I'll get my provisional back soon,and I take full responsibility. I'll make an update as soon as the dvla let me know.
    Thanks again everyone.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 June 2022 at 4:50PM
    Yes I told the dvla the whole truth about my prescription of diazepam and the doctor confirmed, but to be honest I haven't taken the whole 30mg per day for months I just didn't stop them because they are like gold dust to get from your doctor, so hopefully I'll pass that test, as for drink and drugs I don't take any because I'm a fitness freak and run marathons etc so doing gear or drinking would ruin that.
    And yep I have to take an extended test including theory and hazard perception before I get it back, shame I never had a driving conviction in 25 years but I suppose if I hit a traffic police car while speeding that's my own fault, fingers crossed I'll get my provisional back soon,and I take full responsibility. I'll make an update as soon as the dvla let me know.
    Thanks again everyone.

Well it wasn't his.

You do realise you're still disqualified until you pass your test?
  • Yep and I'm self employed so I've lost half my work, my marriage only just survived the year, and I got my wife a new BMW but as much as I want to I don't drive it because I know I'm technically still banned, I just pray I can get my provisional and get the ball rolling asap.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 June 2022 at 4:50PM
    Yep and I'm self employed so I've lost half my work, my marriage only just survived the year, and I got my wife a new BMW but as much as I want to I don't drive it because I know I'm technically still banned, I just pray I can get my provisional and get the ball rolling asap.

There's no technically about it you're still disqualified and will be until you obtain a full licence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure