Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• Futuristic
    Futuristic Posts: 1,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    I have 50MB BB & Line Rental for £10/mo (I got line rental free for a year), I'm moving home. What are the chances they will offer same or force us to pay BB+LR at normal rate?

Luckily current home will still be occupied by relative so I can let the BB run until end so won't be a issue technically.
  • chrispy1
    chrispy1 Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Can I add a failure.
    In December 2015 I got a free upgrade on my broadband from VM from 100Mb to 150Mb.
    Then in July last year my loyalty discount ended so I got on to them to sort something out. I spoke to someone in customer service and sorted out something that I thought was the same has I had and was told my services would be the same. It wasn't till my next bill came through that I noticed that my broadband had been reduced back to 100Mb. So Phone up to complain and was told you changed your contract so for that contract is only 100Mb. So I said I wanted to cancel it and was told. It's passed 14 days cooling off period and would cost me £200.
    When I worked out how much I was saving from the price of a normal package it was 15p a month.
    So Much for Loyalty
  • burnoutbabe
    burnoutbabe Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i rung up today as the £8per month discount ended a few days ago, went with the "thinking of leaving" and it automatically checked my account, said the £8 was ending and would i like it to continue for another 6 months (no contract extension) so pressed 1 and all done.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    i rung up today as the £8per month discount ended a few days ago, went with the "thinking of leaving" and it automatically checked my account, said the £8 was ending and would i like it to continue for another 6 months (no contract extension) so pressed 1 and all done.

Well done, what time did you call please? I had that message for a £3 discount that is running out - however I needed to talk to them about a different aspect of my account so left it and went through to talk to someone. Since then I have phoned a few times and the message no longer appears :(.

As that offer is without contract it seems it would be best accepting it before then going on to any other negotiations if you want to give notice and do the annual deal dance.
  • burnoutbabe
    burnoutbabe Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i called around 11.45. it was just part of the automated options.

There is not much they can do for me, i am lowest broadband, paid line rental in advance and on lowest tv (maybe one up from that, its only the tv in the bedroom that uses it, i have sky for main tv) and am happy with the lower packages.
  • Talk Weekends + VIVID 200 Gamer
    12 Months contract
    £50 package price
    -£29 discount for 12 months
    new price: £21 total
  • p9g57
    p9g57 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    cant compete with edirepair........WELL DONE !!!!:beer:

just haggled...
    12 month VIVID 100 £22.25/month. 1st month free... works out at £20.33/month. NO PHONE LINE THOUGH

contract was about to lapse. also mentioned TOPCASHBACK website offered £120 cashback on top of the £125 that BT will give for their Infinity package.... worth throwing into the discussion!!!

Didnt take long to get them down from £32 to £22 a month.

Also haggled £37 month for sky movies, box sets & sport with SKY on the new SKY Q 2Tb box
  • DarkShadow
    DarkShadow Posts: 180 Forumite
    I am in end of year1 contract.

I have
    Main package Mix+ + Talk weekeds + vivid 100
    Added Asian mela package

Paying £67 a month.

Do I have any room for bargaining here?
    Bank accounts
    Santander : 17 year relationship, 0 problems to date.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    DarkShadow wrote: »
    I am in end of year1 contract.

I have
    Main package Mix+ + Talk weekeds + vivid 100
    Added Asian mela package

Paying £67 a month.

Do I have any room for bargaining here?

Yes, by a long way. Check out Virgin Retentions threads on here and other sites. You need to call and put in your notice (from you Virgin line 150 option 1, 1, 4 then 5). First line Retentions will offer you discounts but unlikely to be the best deal. Outbound Retentions will generally call to negotiate.
  • Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,150 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    My contract is up and I called and got the automated message to carry on my 150mb for £25.74

Wondering if I'd be better if cancelling and seeing if retentions offer a better offer or just accept that
    Sigless
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure