Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• Shenstone
    Options
    wavelets wrote: »
    It'll be carried forward and maybe used to reduce the monthly amount paid. But if you want it back, ask and I'm sure they will send it to you ... but they may increase your monthly paymenst as a result
    They were very reluctant to even talk about it and it took some time and was "referred to a manager" and took more than one call it was very much a case where they seemed to want to hang onto the large balance in their favour at all costs. Even after calls and finally an agreement it seems that they will only process the refund after management review and a payment run some time later.
    Unless the agreed otherwise before you transferred, that is quite usual across the whole industry
    If I have a contract that starts with an agreed payment level from a certain date I do not expect to be charged that 10 days before the agreed date starts, and when I had responded to the email telling me they were taking the payment stating I was not happy for them to do so because there was a large balance in their favour(still no reponse on that). It may be usual in this industry, but it's a charlatan type practise IMO
    Presumably, none of this has changed recently, and yet you decided to renew with this supplier after being presumably content with them last year :cool:

The dodgy behavior only came to light once I had agreed to renew and they started trying to back out of an agreement to settle the overpayment we had made in the prior year - I have used the rights I have in coolling off and am switching using the MSE cheap enteregy club... I'm still saying that they seem to be worth avoiding
    Welcome to MSE, btw :hello:
    I wish I had read more on this forum before I had renewed
  • Consumerist
    Options
    Shenstone wrote: »
    . . . I have used the rights I have in coolling off and am switching using the MSE cheap enteregy club...
    The cooling-off period only applies when you switch supplier. If you have switched to a fixed tariff then you may have to pay early-termination charges if you switch to another supplier. So be careful.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Shenstone
    Options
    The cooling-off period only applies when you switch supplier. If you have switched to a fixed tariff then you may have to pay early-termination charges if you switch to another supplier. So be careful.
    sorry wrong terminology - there were no exit fees and I was in the time that they said I could change my mind so I am not expecting further issues
  • sevenonine
    Options
    These are first-rate sxxxxxxels - I switched from them on 10 January 2019. My last day with them was 5 January 2019 and I would have been on their standard tariff for 6 days (5-10 January 2019) with already £87 in credit. I rang to ask when I would receive their final statement and was told it would take 15 working days for the final statement and any refund would take a further 10 days.

Well, I received their statement on 15 February 2019 showing a credit of £127. However, they calculated my tariff for 2 extra days 10-12 January 2019. In addition, they disputed my Gas reading of 10 January 2019 - I've never had any supplier dispute my reading! As I've kept my direct debit open- advised for money due to be paid or refunds - they even took my monthly payment of £57 on 26 January 2019 to which they were not entitled. Perhaps I should cancel it now before they take the next payment on 26 February!

According to their complaints procedure, it progresses to various levels of their Customer Service before it can be raised with the Ombudsman.

Please tell me how I can possibly thwart this corrupt company and receive my refund. Any dispute I raise with them, say about the extra 2 days charged, will only give them more time before they return what I am due.

Also, should I cancel my direct debit – is this how they repay a refund?
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 February 2019 at 3:16PM
    Options
    sevenonine wrote: »
    These are first-rate sxxxxxxels - I switched from them on 10 January 2019. My last day with them was 5 January 2019 and I would have been on their standard tariff for 6 days (5-10 January 2019) with already £87 in credit. I rang to ask when I would receive their final statement and was told it would take 15 working days for the final statement and any refund would take a further 10 days.
    Well, I received their statement on 15 February 2019 showing a credit of £127. However, they calculated my tariff for 2 extra days 10-12 January 2019. In addition, they disputed my Gas reading of 10 January 2019 - I've never had any supplier dispute my reading! As I've kept my direct debit open- advised for money due to be paid or refunds - they even took my monthly payment of £57 on 26 January 2019 to which they were not entitled. Perhaps I should cancel it now before they take the next payment on 26 February!
    According to their complaints procedure, it progresses to various levels of their Customer Service before it can be raised with the Ombudsman.
    Please tell me how I can possibly thwart this corrupt company and receive my refund. Any dispute I raise with them, say about the extra 2 days charged, will only give them more time before they return what I am due.
    Also, should I cancel my direct debit – is this how they repay a refund?
    OK. Firstly, if you switch within (or after) the 49-day switching window then suppliers are obliged to keep you on your previously contracted tariff until you do switch. They should not change your tariff to their standard variable before you switch.

Second, unfortunately the only way to refer a complaint to the ombudsman is to first start the supplier's complaints procedure. You can refer the complaint 8 weeks after you first raised the issue complained about. Sadly, there is no way round this protracted procedure if you want to involve the Ombudsman.

If you have switched then there is nothing to stop you cancelling the DD at your bank. You should advise Avro that you have done so - preferably as soon as possible so they cannot claim you involved them in the unnecessary expense of a rejected DD. Some suppliers claim that they will need to refund by cheque in these circumstances but I regularly cancel mine when I've switched and they have always used the DD system to refund.

At the moment there is little customers can do to thwart the energy companies financial skulduggery. It just takes time.

Things are a-changing, however. From spring refunds must be made within 10 working days of final bills - Ofgem is still cogitating how long final bills should take but it looks likely to be 6 weeks after a switch. Avro seems to be taking full advantage of the time allowed.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Terrible company. Good rates and fine when things are going smoothly. Terrible customer service and complaints handling when they are not. Was promised a rebate on a 160 pound overpayment. Didn't action it for a month. Called up to chase, no acknowledgement, no apology, just demanded another meter reading. Passed to their "head of complaints, who was terrible. Didn't acknowledge the complaint, didn't explain the complaint handling procedure. Just wanted an argument over it being my fault.

Mickey mouse company, run by youngsters with no experience. No real understanding of how to treat customers or even the basics of running a serious company. No one to talk to after 5 (4.30 on Fridays) or weekends. Prepare to use up a lot of lunch breaks getting through
  • AbbieCadabra
    Options
    Things are a-changing, however. From spring refunds must be made within 10 working days of final bills - Ofgem is still cogitating how long final bills should take but it looks likely to be 6 weeks after a switch. Avro seems to be taking full advantage of the time allowed.

if they're still running at that time, this change will definitely send them under. There's still a steady stream of complaints regarding lack of refunds/nobody answering the phones on all social media & they've now removed their phone number from their website (but still on their facebook page), website states to contact them via social media or letter!

I presume credit balances would be protected if they go under??
  • wrongplanet
    wrongplanet Posts: 166 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 February 2019 at 12:17PM
    Options
    if they're still running at that time, this change will definitely send them under
    It's looking increasingly likely they're headed that way.

Seems like I can wave goodbye to the £25 cashback still owed from my ill-advised tariff switch back in September.

[Edit] Looking at their FB page it seems they've been having "planned maintenance" closures of their phone lines since at least September last year. Could they be having trouble keeping call handlers?
  • Logen
    Logen Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    if they're still running at that time, this change will definitely send them under. There's still a steady stream of complaints regarding lack of refunds/nobody answering the phones on all social media & they've now removed their phone number from their website (but still on their facebook page), website states to contact them via social media or letter!

I presume credit balances would be protected if they go under??

The option to contact Avro via email is still there.
    On their website, there is still a phone number to make additional payments (0330 058 2005).
    I think this is the only number Avro made available to customers so it should still be 'live'.
  • sevenonine
    sevenonine Posts: 201 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 February 2019 at 6:19PM
    Options
    Thanks Consumerist for your comments and advice. I have cancelled my D/D and spoke on 18 Feb to Jenny (Avro) who would not give her surname. I said I was very angry about the D/D payment taken and said I wanted to raise a complaint.

Since then, I've spoken to So Energy, my new provider, because my reading of 10 January 2019 (6953) was referred to the Central Gas Industry for validation and the opening reading was revised to 6989 (36 extra units). I had thought it was Avro who had referred it for validation! In fact it was SOE who did so and now I am embroiled with SOE who tell me all opening readings are validated - if so why are these not subject to change? I have told SOE that I am a single user/owner/resident and have never had my readings disputed.

I want to know the website for the Central Gas Industry - I haven't been able to find it - does anyone know? I shall want to ask whether it is in their gift to spend time working out the validity of readings!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback