Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ellymoo
    • By ellymoo 28th Jan 19, 9:42 AM
    • 55Posts
    • 30Thanks
    ellymoo
    Water leak - who pays?
    • 28th Jan 19, 9:42 AM
    Water leak - who pays? 28th Jan 19 at 9:42 AM
    In 2014 I asked for a meter to be fitted to my flat as I figured it would be cheaper and also better for the environment. All has gone OK until Friday when I received an updated bill. I now have to pay 44 a month rather than 26 a month - I am a single person working full time, living alone.

I did all the meter checks (turning the stopcock off, etc.) and it appears that there is a leak somewhere. The water company are sending someone out on Friday, so in the meantime I have to turn the stopcock off when I am out which isn't a big deal although means I can't leave the dishwasher/washing machine running.

I am a tenant, and the meter is not in my flat, but in the main hall for the 2 flats. I live above a shop, so if there were any leaks within my flat, I would know about them. Our maintenance man said the leak must be external and that as the meter isn't in my flat it is an external leak, so hopefully is covered by the water company.

The water company agreed that the last reading was higher than all my previous usage. Do I have any recourse, please? Do I have to pay for water I haven't used?

Many thanks.
    Last edited by ellymoo; 28-01-2019 at 9:49 AM.
Page 1
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 28th Jan 19, 10:44 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Takmon
    • 28th Jan 19, 10:44 AM
    • 28th Jan 19, 10:44 AM
    I am a tenant, and the meter is not in my flat, but in the main hall for the 2 flats. I live above a shop, so if there were any leaks within my flat, I would know about them. Our maintenance man said the leak must be external and that as the meter isn't in my flat it is an external leak, so hopefully is covered by the water company.
    Originally posted by ellymoo
    When i moved house i noticed my water usage was a bit high over the first few days and when i checked the meter was still moving with everything turned off.
    I traced it to a dodgy seal on the toilet flush and water was constantly flowing when it didn't seal fully. Even though it didn't appear much this did add up when leaking constantly 24/7 so this may be something you want to check.
    • ellymoo
    • By ellymoo 28th Jan 19, 10:50 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    ellymoo
    • 28th Jan 19, 10:50 AM
    • 28th Jan 19, 10:50 AM
    Thanks for your reply. I did have the flush looked at a couple of years ago as I had a similar issue, and it was resolved. I don't hear any sounds coming from the loo when it's not been used, but it is worth bearing that in mind, and checking it again, thank you.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 28th Jan 19, 11:00 AM
    • 27,727 Posts
    • 13,609 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 28th Jan 19, 11:00 AM
    • 28th Jan 19, 11:00 AM
    Our maintenance man said the leak must be external and that as the meter isn't in my flat it is an external leak, so hopefully is covered by the water company.

If the leak is external, what is the point of turning off your stopcock?

The repair problem is the landlord's responsibility.

Some water companies give a leakage allowance in these cases. However it is a 'goodwill' gesture and not an entitlement.
    • ellymoo
    • By ellymoo 28th Jan 19, 11:02 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    ellymoo
    • 28th Jan 19, 11:02 AM
    • 28th Jan 19, 11:02 AM
    When I turn the stopcock off, the meter stops running.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 28th Jan 19, 11:14 AM
    • 6,392 Posts
    • 9,132 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 28th Jan 19, 11:14 AM
    • 28th Jan 19, 11:14 AM
    When I turn the stopcock off, the meter stops running.
    If your stopcock is after your meter (ie in your house) then the leak isnt external.
    Don't be angry!
    • ellymoo
    • By ellymoo 28th Jan 19, 11:15 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    ellymoo
    • 28th Jan 19, 11:15 AM
    • 28th Jan 19, 11:15 AM
    Well it gets more complicated, as it isn't in the flat. It is in the hallway off which 2 flats feed. So I don't know if that makes it internal or external.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 28th Jan 19, 11:42 AM
    • 4,191 Posts
    • 2,658 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 28th Jan 19, 11:42 AM
    • 28th Jan 19, 11:42 AM
    If you are a tenant then I would have though that it was down to the landlord to get it fixed.

However it does show the wisdom of checking your meter yourself a bit more frequently than when the bill comes in because you can see when something is wrong and do something about it before it becomes a problem.

As Cardew says, some water co's will give you an allowance for a leak provided it is identified and sorted out quickly.

As said above, if the meter stops turning when your stopcock is closed then the leak is on your side of the stopcock so you need to check not only the toilet cistern but any tanks that you might have in the loft for the heating or hot water supply. Check for water coming out of overflow pipes up near the eaves
    Last edited by matelodave; 28-01-2019 at 11:52 AM.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    • ellymoo
    • By ellymoo 28th Jan 19, 11:44 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    ellymoo
    • 28th Jan 19, 11:44 AM
    • 28th Jan 19, 11:44 AM
    Thank you - the irony of the situation is that I had been doing my meter readings regularly up until a few months ago when I forgot and it seemed pretty pointless as they always stayed regular - grrrr!

I have now asked the landlord to send out a plumber to look for the leak.

Would the water company offer any allowance if the leak was on my side?
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 28th Jan 19, 1:28 PM
    • 4,191 Posts
    • 2,658 Thanks
    matelodave
    Thank you - the irony of the situation is that I had been doing my meter readings regularly up until a few months ago when I forgot and it seemed pretty pointless as they always stayed regular - grrrr!

I have now asked the landlord to send out a plumber to look for the leak.

Would the water company offer any allowance if the leak was on my side?
    All you can do ask, some do and some dont. It's a goodwill gesture.

We had a leak several years ago which I discovered during my regular monthly meter reading, Just over a 100 worth of water got wasted in just one month and Anglian Water did credit my account when I'd got it fixed.

Six months worth of leakage would have been a hell of a lot more expensive and probably would have undermined my drive and house foundations as the leak was in the underground pipe.

My regular monthy routine is to read both energy and water meters just to ensure that everything is OK and to keep an eye on my bills. It only takes ten minutes or so but can save a lot of grief in the future
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    • ellymoo
    • By ellymoo 28th Jan 19, 2:02 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    ellymoo
    I read my energy bills every month, but water I stopped a few months ago for some reason. I wouldn't have noticed any significant difference between the readings; the energy bill is produced monthly but the water one only six-monthly. You are right though, it's worth doing regularly.
    • ellymoo
    • By ellymoo 28th Jan 19, 2:04 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    ellymoo
    The landlord's plumber isn't free till next week so I've been told to wait until the water board come out as they don't see how there can be a leak in the flat, yadda yadda.
    • ellymoo
    • By ellymoo 29th Jan 19, 9:49 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    ellymoo
    When i moved house i noticed my water usage was a bit high over the first few days and when i checked the meter was still moving with everything turned off.
    I traced it to a dodgy seal on the toilet flush and water was constantly flowing when it didn't seal fully. Even though it didn't appear much this did add up when leaking constantly 24/7 so this may be something you want to check.
    Originally posted by Takmon

Thank you so much for this post. I have looked at my loo and there is something wrong with it; I don't know the technical term but there is a blue bit from which water is running all the time.

I have told the landlord that they need to get a plumber out (please) and will now contact the water company to see if they can help me with the finance!
    • deanos
    • By deanos 30th Jan 19, 7:16 AM
    • 10,875 Posts
    • 5,579 Thanks
    deanos
    Best way to check loo for leaks is put some dry toilet paper at the back of the pan, if it starts to get wet the toilet is leaking
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 30th Jan 19, 1:48 PM
    • 951 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    Mister G
    Best way to check loo for leaks is put some dry toilet paper at the back of the pan, if it starts to get wet the toilet is leaking
    Originally posted by deanos
    This will only work if the cistern is leaking.

A lot of modern cisterns overflow into the pan if the inlet valve is not sealing properly, so there will be no 'external' water.
    • deanos
    • By deanos 30th Jan 19, 2:11 PM
    • 10,875 Posts
    • 5,579 Thanks
    deanos
    This will only work if the cistern is leaking.

A lot of modern cisterns overflow into the pan if the inlet valve is not sealing properly, so there will be no 'external' water.
    Originally posted by Mister G
    Of course, if it does not get wet then no leak !

But yes i didn't make myself clear , if it has a overflow you will see it leaking, unless its been plumbed into the drain pipe and you cant see it, the paper test is for ones that overflow into the pan
    • ellymoo
    • By ellymoo 12th Feb 19, 2:59 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    ellymoo
    So the leak did turn out to be in the loo. And eventually someone came out to fix it, but it took over a week and the landlord are saying they won't pay because they don't think the "slight" bill increase is all due to the leak. Slight?! It's 20 extra a month!

I am going to contact Severn Trent and see if they can figure out exactly how much extra I am being charged to clear this backlog, and see if that makes a difference. Then go back to them again as I think my contract does stipulate they are responsible for repairs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,454Posts Today

7,777Users online

Martin's Twitter