Martin Lewis to sue Facebook for defamation in groundbreaking campaigning lawsuit

124»

Comments

• God luck Martin. Almost everything about the way Facebook operates is a disgrace. Can you get them to pay a reasonable amount of tax on their UK earnings next?
  • ben501
    ben501 Posts: 668 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    bxboards wrote: »
    This site is infested with spammers and we are expected to report them - they are not screened out pro-activly by MSE.

So it seems a bit rich on the one hand to demand other sites screen posts, when it's not done here..
    They're just generic spammers though, not using the image of another well known person.
    It does raise a curious question of how MSE would deal with it if these spammers started posting their images & links on the forum here, and no board guides or other members reported the posts. :think:(Wouldn't happen though spammers, so don't waste your time.)
  • Facebook are making money by being a significant, knowing and willing step in the process that only exists to exploit money from people, while doing damage to others along the way.

While this is unacceptable in itself, hiding behind the excuse that it isn't a publisher definitely doesn't absolve it of any responsibility.

I think Martin is absolutely right to follow this course of action. I think Facebook will fight it as it could have serious knock on effects for the rest of its business/functions but if it makes it act more responsible it can only be a good thing.

Martin has put lots of hard work into helping vast amounts of people. If there was a way of giving a donation to help with the legal costs i will gladly do it. MSE let me know. :T
  • Donatello
    Donatello Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 April 2018 at 12:07PM
    Surely, FB, Yahoo, Microsoft, the newspapers et al are benefitting from the "proceeds of crime" by carrying these fraudulent adverts, some of which, if not all, may be linked to international organised crime or even to terrorist organisations.

Maybe your legal team could look at that aspect of things and, since the authors of these adverts are most cetainly overseas and largely anonymous or untraceable, the only recourse is to pursue the media platforms themselves and to let THEM make a case against the authors.

These media outlets could not care less about the truth when it comes to posting adverts, they're blinded by the profits that they're making, the ONLY solution, as I see it is to hit them where it hurts with punitive and exemplary damages, an avenue that you are currently pursuing, maybe seeking to confiscate assets under Proceeds of Crime legislation, or even contravention of the Human Rights Act, for as long as it is part of UK law.

Better yet, you may wish to consider hitting them on as many fronts as possible, simultaneously, until they stop acting as accessories to criminal acts.

Good luck Martin, I wish you every success.
  • Tragen
    Tragen Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    This site is infested with spammers and we are expected to report them - they are not screened out pro-activly by MSE.

So it seems a bit rich on the one hand to demand other sites screen posts, when it's not done here..

It's not the same and it depends how well it works; Facebook relies on community-policing but it is slow and often simply does not work meanwhile it can be extremely damaging to individuals and businesses. That does not mean it cannot work, there are numerous platforms that deal with these things swiftly and efficiently.
  • Tragen
    Tragen Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Donatello wrote: »
    Better yet, you may wish to consider hitting them on as many fronts as possible, simultaneously, until they stop acting as accessories to criminal acts.

I think teaming up with other victims is the way to go and bring about possible legislation and real change in the industry.
  • I'm delighted Martin is suing Facebook. I was scammed last year after seeing an add purporting to be from him on Watchdog extolling the virtues of Cloud Trader. I lost £13k and my father who is over 90 lost an excessive amount. One of my credit card providers has refunded my money but the other provider has refused (how they interpret Section 75 differently beats me). Perhaps Martin can explain that.
  • pjcox2005
    pjcox2005 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post

There is the distinction that Martin doesn't receive revenue from spammers posting on a forum, whereas facebook does for the spam content published by them, which adds an onus of responsibility.
  • i have noticed via my partners Facebook that various ads have been supposedly liked by myself, however this isnt true and i havent Liked them at all.
    they dont show on my facebook account that i have clicked 'like' only other peoples pages.
    i have notified Facebook on several occasions regarding this issue to which i haven't received any response or explanation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure