Can i use a 240v without a transformer and instead get a lead to plug direct to mains?

Options

Comments

• chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »

What an anti-climax that video was!
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Out of interest, why do building sites use 110v? Is it a safety thing?
  • Heedtheadvice
    Options
    Yes! It is a safety 'thing'.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »
    Yes.

The transformer supplies a 110v (CTE) center tapped to an earth supply system so that the maximum voltage to earth does not exceed 55v - so much safer.

The downside is that for the same power of tool, the cable needs to be much thicker. So a 1000W 240v tool will draw just over 4 Amps, but a 1000W 110V tool will draw 9 Amps.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »
    Risteard wrote: »
    You will start a fire connecting a Reduced Low Voltage drill to a 230V supply. It is designed for a 110V centre-tap Earthed supply (with 110V between phases and no neutral).

As Risteard implies, there's only a nominal 55V to earth, so it's much safer than the (again nominal) 230V to earth, as most accidental electric shocks to people occur from phase to earth.

All machines used in industry and on building sites are 110V now.
    240V is generally for the domestic and DIY market.

OP you need a transformer to run that drill.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jackmydad wrote: »
    ...OP you need a transformer to run that drill.
    Unless - as my and Cornucopia's posts allude to - some pl*nker has wired a 110v plug onto a 230v tool. ;)

It happens. :shocked:

The OP seems quite sure they have a 240v tool. I'd want to confirm or disprove that before plugging it in to anything. :)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    It wouldn't be the 1st 240 drill I've seen with a yellow plug to fool the site agent, but as everyone has said check on the plate before assuming anything
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    marlot wrote: »
    Yes.

The transformer supplies a 110v (CTE) center tapped to an earth supply system so that the maximum voltage to earth does not exceed 55v - so much safer.
    Actually the maximum voltage to Earth on a Reduced Low Voltage (RLV) system is 63.5V - three-phase systems will have 63.5V between any phase and Earth with 110V between phases. The single phase (or split phase) variant has 55V phase to Earth with 110V between phases. (Again, as I mentioned earlier, there is no neutral conductor on the secondary side.)
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It wouldn't be the 1st 240 drill I've seen with a yellow plug to fool the site agent, but as everyone has said check on the plate before assuming anything

That would work for some tools. It would just deliver a fraction of the normal power. A circular saw, say, just take it easy, and you'll get the job done eventually. But a core drill?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    That would work for some tools. It would just deliver a fraction of the normal power. A circular saw, say, just take it easy, and you'll get the job done eventually. But a core drill?
    Never underestimate people's capacity to do stupid things.

I've known people 'save' money and time by using 110v extension leads with a 230v supply and tools. If you are someone who doesn't consider it necessary to observe the yellow/blue/red colour coding then you might possess a yellow cable and trailing socket which has 230v running through it. :shocked: It doesn't take a massive leap of [STRIKE]imagination[/STRIKE] stupidity to then stick a yellow 110v plug on a 230v tool to save the need for 'adaptors'.

It should go without saying this is highly dangerous and not something anyone should be doing (although such a device might legitimately be found in a PAT toolkit).

Hence the need to always check tools if buying them second hand, and ideally check them even if new.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport