The light is well and truly on!'

Hi everyone, I've hesitated to start a diary but after reading quite a few diaries, I'm taking the plunge! I thought I'd start by telling you a little about myself and am planning to post a SOA later when we've had a chance to sit down and work it out
:eek:

So, I am Married with 4 daughter's aged 20, 17, 13 and 11. The eldest is in her 3rd year of university and the second is planning to start uni in September. We also have a cat and a dog!

I didn't work for approximately 10 years when the children were smaller, my husband has a fairly well paid job, but even so, we lived beyond our means. My mother lives in USA and we certainly took too many holidays across the pond in the children's earlier years. We've not been for 7 years now, although we have booked flights (which my mother kindly paid for) this summer as my eldest daughter's turn 21 & 18 in July.

I went back to work in 2014, initially working a few hours a week as a teaching assistant in my daughters' primary school. My hours have increased over time, however, in 2016 I was diagnosed with breast cancer which certainly had an effect in finances that were still feeling.

In February 2015 we took out a £15,000 loan to buy a used car and touring caravan. We had a fantastic summer in France in the can, but we soon realised that the van we bought didn't suit our needs, and in September of that year we part exchanged the van for one more suitable - taking out another loan for £11,000. In February 2016 I was diagnosed with breast cancer and was off work for 6 months, my sick pay was reduced after 12 weeks and again credit cards filled the gap. I had 5 operations in 5 months, the last being in July. I went back to work 6 weeks after my last op, mainly for financial reasons. In July 2016, the timing belt snapped on our car and we had little choice but to buy a car on finance. Husband needs a car to get to work, as a family of 6, a small car is not an option. We had another holiday to France booked, which we all really needed after the stress of my diagnosis. The upshot was that in the space of 16 months we'd taken out 3 loans.

I'm back in work and recently had my 2 year mammogram which was thankfully clear :j:j:j

In January this year, I came back to this site with a determination to sort our finances. I've joined a few challenges, and am starting to see the benefits. My Next account alone has gone from £2000 owed to £1370, just by PADding £2 a day in addition to the usual payments.

So, I think that's where we're at. Credit card debt is around £20,000 which is what I want to focus on. The loans are ticking downwards and for now we're happy for them to do that. If and when the cards are paid off then we'd look into making extra payments to the loans.

We've obviously got this holiday to consider too and we need to start getting a pot of spending money together. Hopefully, my soa and advice from everyone here will help with that.

I don't think I've ever written such a long forum post, so well doneif you've got this far!!
Virtual Sealed Pot No.07

Comments

• RhiBi
    RhiBi Posts: 703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 April 2018 at 9:03PM
    I've done an SOA, I don't know where our money is going, but our bank balance certainly isn't looking like it should! So the first job is a spending diary! If anyone can recommend an app, that would be great!!

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 4
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 901
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 2900
    Benefits................................ 192.4
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 3993.4

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 290.6
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 125
    Electricity............................. 60
    Gas..................................... 60
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 37.91
    Telephone (land line)................... 35.82
    Mobile phone............................ 74
    TV Licence.............................. 12.67
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 50
    Internet Services....................... 0
    Groceries etc. ......................... 350
    Clothing................................ 0
    Petrol/diesel........................... 150
    Road tax................................ 21
    Car Insurance........................... 28.56
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 0
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 0
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0
    Other child related expenses............ 35
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 0
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 41.11
    Buildings insurance..................... 19.37
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 91
    Other insurance......................... 28.79
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 0
    Haircuts................................ 0
    Entertainment........................... 16
    Holiday................................. 30
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    Caravan Storage......................... 40
    Caravan insurance....................... 10.18
    Husbands union.......................... 14
    Husbands professional body.............. 21.6
    Birchbox................................ 12.95
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1655.56

Assets

Cash.................................... 800
    House value (Gross)..................... 120000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 700
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 121500

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Mortgage...................... 27000....(290.6)....0
    Total secured & HP debts...... 27000.....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Sainsbury's loan...............0.........219.......0 5 year loan since Feb 2015
    Tesco loan.....................0.........134.5.....0 5 year loan since September2015
    Car loan.......................0.........165.7.....0 5 year loan since July 2016
    DH family history soc..........10........0.........0
    Barclaycard....................8500......191.......0
    Mbna 2.........................2700......65........0
    Mbna 1.........................10800.....169.......6
    Littlewoods....................400.......36.12.....0
    Next...........................1370......79........0
    Virtual Sealed Pot No.07
  • RhiBi
    I'm not sure how much we owe on the loans so I've just included the monthly payment until I can get statements, I'm also unsure of the interest rates.

Two credit cards are 0% and one is 6% for the life of balance.
    Virtual Sealed Pot No.07
  • UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Hi and welcome :D

If you are familiar with Excel you can get a template spreadsheet to use as a spending diary.
    You'll need to enter in all the transactions yourself, however it does help to highlight what you are spending and where the money is going.
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • RhiBi
    Spreadsheets do make me shudder, although I'm willing to learn! It would be keynote though as I'm on a Mac!
    Virtual Sealed Pot No.07
  • RhiBi
    I'm not sure anyone is reading but I'll plod on anyway!!!

Bank holiday so DH is Home too. I've got some sewing I want to do as I run a Facebook page which sporadically gives me a little pocket money! The lead up to Christmas it was busy, too busy really. Working full time, and since my diagnosis I find I get tired a lot more..

I am determined to do a spending diary too. Dh is totally onboard, in fact it's me who's always been the spender! For now, I think we'll be writing it down but I do want to get to grips long term with a spreadsheet!

Food shopping I've really sorted since the new year. I tend to do a big meat order from musclefood every 6-8 weeks. Our weekly shopping is then based around the meat we have in. The musclefood is usually around £70, and our weekly shop at Aldi or Lidl is around £50. We do probably spend about £20-30 on top of this replenishing bread, milk, fruit through the week.

So where is our money going??? I have no clue, and it's not an insignificant amount we can't account for.

Occasionally I do a Tesco food order for my daughter in uni, but that's usually about £50 every 6-8 weeks.

Writing it down is really going to focus us hopefully!

I'm an impatient person by nature though so I wish I could fast forward a month and have some answers!! Of course, being school holidays, this isn't really a typical month either!!

Well, dd3 has made me a cuppa! She wants a friend to sleepover on Friday, so she's in model child mode :D:D

Hope you all have a good bank holiday xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot No.07
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I find a spending tracker app a useful way to record spending over a month. I have a large family and it's surprising how the milk/bread/fruit top ups mount up.

Well done on the inroads you've made so far to your Next account. Keep going!
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • RhiBi
    Thanks, I'm going to definitely keep a record of spends!

Today I made the cushion I needed to so that will get me £22, I put a photo of it on my Facebook page and got another order, so I'm really happy with that! My sewing machine decided it wanted the afternoon off I think though and decided to not play nicely with me, so no further sewing was done!!!

This evening we're just going to watch some tv, the children have Easter eggs to much on, so we're just going to relax!

Yesterday and today we're both no spend days which is good, and I can't think of anything in particular I'll need to buy tomorrow either!
    Virtual Sealed Pot No.07
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Happy new diary, and good luck with your repayments.
  • stinabean
    stinabean Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi RhiBi!

Following your diary for inspiration and tips! Just started my own and feeling positive !!!55357;!!!56397;!!!55356;!!!57339; envious of your grocery shopping, there's only me and OH and we spend around 300 !!!55357;!!!56866;

Keep posting!
    Pushing through to Jan 2020 to start saving and debt busting!

£8k loan
    £0 savings
  • RhiBi
    I've nearly depleated our meat so I've got another meat order coming from musclefood on 14th April, this will last us approximately 8 weeks!

I have a list of what is in the freezer which we update as we take from it or add to it. I use this list to plan my meals for the week and then my food shop.

It hasn't always been like this though. I've gone through phases of meal planning in the past, but it's always slipped. Since January though I've really kept on top of it and it's helped a lot!

When I do my meal planning, I'll post it here if people would like to see it. I'm no gourmet chef so it is general family meals though!
    Virtual Sealed Pot No.07
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport