HMRC bankrupt or do we do it ?

Hi guys, my wife and I are in such a mess financially we didn't really know which way to turn. I spoke with the national debtline free advice this morning and they advised us to declare ourselves bankrupt asap. Would you believe the inland revenue phoned me this afternoon to tell me they are not interested in a debt management scheme and will be declaring us bankrupt.

Now what do we do :confused: ? do we let the revenue do all the spade work and pay the costs or do we beat them to it and pay the court costs of £480 each ??

any help please would be appreciated,

Taib0

Comments

• I think rog2 can give you some advice on this - he was made BR by HMRC, so he can give you an idea of their procedures & the possible effects from allowing them to make you BR. If he's not online now, he'll probably be around later, or you could send him a PM. :)
  • taib0
    taib0 Posts: 83 Forumite
    great, thanks for that
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I think rog2 can give you some advice on this - he was made BR by HMRC, so he can give you an idea of their procedures & the possible effects from allowing them to make you BR. If he's not online now, he'll probably be around later, or you could send him a PM. :)

Hi taib0 - I only looked in to check my CP - I was, indeed, one of HMRC's(bless 'em) statistics. I'll give you the details in the morning as I'm just off to bed. Cheers.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • taib0
    Hi rog2, thanks for your help i'll look in again later

regards,

Taib0
  • fiveyearplan
    fiveyearplan Posts: 10,143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm also interested in knowing the difference of ging bankrupt yourself or being made bankrupt by someone else? Is there really any difference (apart from saving the fee).

Rog2 we're eagerly awaiting your response!

:j :j

• yes there is a difference in the procedure. debtors petitions are dealt with possibly by no interview, telephone interview or face to face interview. Creditors petitions are always face to face interviews at the ORs office.
    However if you have run a business (more than a one man band) eg trading premises, employees, stock, book debts etc, you are likely to have a face to face interview on a debtors petition.
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi taib0 and fiveyearplan - I'm really sorry that I have not posted earlier - I have been out all day (unexpected problem).
    Firstly taib0 - Yes I was declared bankrupt by HMRC, in curcumstances probably not dissimilar to your own I was struggling, for three years to try and keep a sinking business afloat, and should have listened to advice but, as many will appreciate, was still hoping for 'that elusive big sale'.
    HMRC are one of the most unforgiving of creditors and, between the Inland Revenue and VAT sides of their business, they are responsible for by far the largest percentage of creditor petitioned bankruptcies in the UK.
    I did, like you, try and negotiate with HMRC but they were not prepared to discuss, other than suggesting that I paid the amount of their assessment, and claimed it back later. As this was not an option HMRC obtained a CCJ against me, which was followed up, one month later by the personal service of a Statutory Demand leading to my bankruptcy last October.

Whilst, yes it is true that you do not pay the up-front fees when a creditor petitions for your bankruptcy, the fees ARE added to your bankruptcy estate and are inevitably much higher than for a debtor petition. In my case the fees were over £1800. Fine, perhaps, if you have no assetts.

Another downside to an HMRC petition is that they ONLY use the High Court in London, which if, like me, you don't live in London is a real pain.

Whilst the actual Court Hearing was quite painless - I was in the High Court for a TOTAL time of one hour, five minutes of which were spent in front of the judge, I did have to attend a three hour long OR meeting. Whilst the OR was extremely polite and non-judgemental, her examination of me, and my business, was extremely thorough. A trustee was appointed, by HMRC as they were my largest creditor, and I am currently trying to save my house.

With the benefit of hindsight, I would have petitioned for bankruptcy as soon as I received the CCJ.

I, and others who have been declared bankrupt by a creditor (in particular HMRC) do feel that you have more control of the situation.

This would appear to be confirmed by Addicted2Chocolate, who works for the Insolvency Service, in the previous post.

If, as you say, HMRC is telling you that they are not interested in a DMP (they told me the same), they WILL go ahead and petition for your bankruptcy.

I have to admit to a certain bias in my advice as I feel that the treatment that I received from HMRC was abysmal. I was, like you, met with a total lack of understanding or sympathy. I was, repeatedly, given contradictory advice and I found the general attitude of the 'officers' dealing with me to be one of 'arrogant superiority'. I appreciate that that may be an unfair assessment of everyone who works for HMRC, but certainly those that I hadd to deal with would win no points for diplomacy and I hope that one day they find themselves in a position where they need to ask for help.

My advice, if you can afford it, is to pay the court costs and petition for your own bankruptcy.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • penguin83
    penguin83 Posts: 4,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Dont forget as well you can still petition for your own bankruptcy even if the creditor has also petitioned as long as it is still pending and the bankruptcy order hasnt been made.

The creditors petition is given a court date (which can be 3 months ahead in our court) whereas your debtors appointment will be given a much earlier date, so even if the creditor has already begun proceedings, you can still 'get in first' if you prefer.

Good Luck whatever you decide x
    Pay Debt by Xmas 16 - 0/12000
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.
  • taib0
    Hi Rog2, I've waited all day for your reply and it was worth every minute. Thanks so much for your advice I was really wanting to do the petition myself but didn't want to waste £970 if the outcome was the same. The cost is £485 each as this is a joint bankruptcy for me and my wife. As you rightly said the revenue are not particularly nice people and we have had real arrogant sod of a man chasing us. It will be worth £970 to beat the swine to court
    :rotfl::wink: I would love to see his face when he finds out. I don't think I did myself any favours when he arrived at my home one afternoon in a black cab. He knocked on my door with this statement of liabilities in his hand and said he wanted £30,000 there and then. I told him to stick his statement of liability where the don't shine :eek: ..........now I think he's made it a personal crusade to nail me. Once again thanks for your advice you have been brilliant.

regards,
    Taib0
  • fiveyearplan
    fiveyearplan Posts: 10,143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks Rog2. I too have been trying to keep a dying business afloat which is where my problems started. I have 2 business and I know I could salvage one of them but if I let go of the dying one I'm sure the landlord will petition for my (and OH's) bankruptcy which will mean losing other business.

You mentioned you still have your house. That is also a big concern for me. Is it possible to save one's house under such circumstances? Our mortgage is £280k and house was valued (over-valued in my opinion) last year at £330k. We're tied in until Dec 08 or pay £18,000 early redemption. I think realistically we could get £300k for it which wouldn't leave much after paying ERP.

:j :j

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport