PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• wort
    wort Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I seem to be on a sweet run at the moment! Normally I would prefer savoury, so not sure why?
    After chicken Balti last night I had Greek yogurt with honey with the last kiwi. Then not long after had a cuppa with a stick of fruit and nut chocolate, 1 hour later was back in the fridge for last stick of choc with hot chocolate. !

Today dgson made a sponge cake to use up some eggs, we left it cooling whilst we nipped for paint. When I got back I had a slice with jam on . Just had tea, tempura chicken and chips with garlic mayo, and 3 plum tomatoes to make me feel more healthy! :o
    Whipped up some cream and had another slice of cake with jam and cream, I decided the piece would be to big to fit in my mouth, so left it as 2 halves with filling on both !!!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • wort
    Tomorrow all the family will go to the cenotaph service in town as my nieces partner was killed in Afghanistan, so we all go up together.
    It's usually very cold as the cenotaph is in a square with the church on one side and buildings on 2 others so it's in the shade. So will need to layer up.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hope you're feeling better soon Caron.

Someone remind me that if ever I turned meat-eater again - then buy the house next door to Caron and invite myself round for meals at intervals:D:rotfl:

Don't worry Caron - I'd make it the one the other side - so you didn't lose "Visiting Cat":)
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    (Thanks for the good wishes)

Had to abandon the house as a viewing was booked.... only the viewer thought it was next week, so I did all that clearing/cleaning/polishing for nothing :)

At least it wasn't the other way round......:eek:
    Farway wrote: »
    last night's W/rose FR pork chop turned out in the OK range, shame really I was hoping it would be as nice as the farm shop one, no luck. Next trial one is detour to butcher and try one of their's
    Job for another day

Breakfast of usual porridge + bananas, yoghurt etc, not doing too well, this batch of HM yogurt is a bit runny:( Looks like I'll have to get a new starter for it

Taken salmon fillet & a rump steak out of freezer for defrosting
    Salmon today & steak tomorrow

Lunch will be last of the LO HM chicken soup & maybe cheese sarnie

I'm sure it was lovely, but it is just not for me. And I bet garlic featured somewhere in there:eek:
    Och that's a shame Farway, perhaps when you get the other freezer you could buy a few from the Farm shop or buy online.
    Certainly when I make French style fish soup it has lots & lots of garlic in it;)

wort - sounds as though layers will definitely be needed. My Dad goes to the local one every year (ex-Marine) and wears his long johns and thermals under his "smart" clothes as the cenotaph is beside the shore.

Good evening everyone,

"Wonky Donkey" decided it was winning earlier, so I've been mainly horizontal today. Spins have settled and as long as I watch how I'm moving I'm feeling better.:D
    Three of the frocks arrived and two are definitely going back and probably the third. A bit like Goldilocks one was too big & small at the same time and made me look like a sausage in places and sack in others:eek:, one was too long and I'm not sure the third is "quite right".....:(
    Broth was suitably rib-sticking and I had a big bowl for lunch, my Dad has taken a tub too and there's still loads left:D.
    If I was being cheffy I describe dinner as a "fusion" meal:rotfl::rotfl:, pork sovlaki (LO from a bbq), refried beans (LO from a family get together) in a roti (LO from the engagement do) served with kebab shop style salad:cool: . Think it should be tasty though :).
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Farway wrote: »
    I'm sure it was lovely, but it is just not for me. And I bet garlic featured somewhere in there:eek:

It was a French restaurant Farway I think it's illegal for them not to use garlic :rotfl:

Wort maybe the winter weather is making you body want additional calories and sugar and fat are the quickest way of stocking up :cool:

Sorry you've been visited by that donkey again Caronc are you sure your dad hasn't got you bugged he seems to know when the best LOs are in your fridge :D

I worked from home today either side of my hair appointment, I got home in time to grab apple and cheese at 2pm for a late lunch and log in, we were suppose to finish at 5pm but IT had problems with one of the systems so we had to hang about until after 7pm. Therefore dinner was just some roasted vegetables I did make some parsley pesto to go over them but unfortunately I added too much garlic and it was too harsh with a raw garlic taste, luckily I didn't add it to all the veg so was able to have garlic free LOs.

Flubberzing hope you have a good day tomorrow
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Have a good day tomorrow, all you attending remembrance services... I'm about to head off to bed, as have a 5:30 alarm set for tomorrow morning...

I had the quiche with some baked beans for an early tea, and although it was a nice one, it wasn't terribly satisfying. So I've just demolished a chicken sandwich for supper!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 November 2018 at 8:51AM
    I'm probably like a lot of people in that cooking in the SC seems like a good idea... but, when it comes down to it, it remains an idea, then it's too late (other excuses are available)...

Sometimes though ... I think of what I'd like to make for 1-2 weeks.... then decide "it's the day" and mentally prep for it for a few days.

Today is the day .... marmalade bread/butter pudding day.

I need to "begrudgingly drag myself through the motions" of getting it ready.

I've already got the SC out and on the worktop ... and I've got out a container for the pudding and put that alongside. In the fridge I've put the marmalade at the front. I'm actually wondering if the oval dish I bought at £land yesterday might make for a great size for CFO b/b pudding ... although I plan to make a two portion one today. That dish is nagging at me..... I bet it'd be the right size ....

Now, the other issue is, it doesn't take long .... so when to start it .... it's too early now as I don't fancy it for breakfast.

Today's food will be b/b pudding and custard.... and I'm not too sure what else really.

Got a bread roll that needs using up and I've got tomatoes, so maybe a tomato roll. The kebab I made just two days ago has been fully consumed because it was simply too bl00dy gorgeous... so I ate two portions of that in a pitta; one portion in a bread roll; one portion in a toasted bread roll ... and the final portion was simply meat alone, eaten directly from the container I'd nuked it in, with a fork.

If I do get round to fancying "proper food" it'll most likely be a baked spud/beans as I've still got a bag of spuds to get through.

Of course, there's always fish cake and chips from the freezer.

That's the trouble isn't it, with food overload - so many choices and you can't actually decide.

P.S. I have crisps, chocolate finger biscuits and choccies in the cupboard :)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,194 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Up and about a bit earlier, off to Remembrance later. the one I'm going to is mainly held inside, only venture outside for wreath laying
    It may be a bit busier than usual being the centenary, and a larger one nearby will entail closure of the A3 for nearly 2 hours, that should be chaos to our local roads

It tipped down in the night, & still looking a bit iffy now

Breakfast was usual porridge

Lunch, no idea, there are "refreshments" post Remembrance service, secretly hoping there is LO cake for a doggy bag;)

I've taken the steak out & it is now marinading back in the fridge
    Having removed it from the package it's not one I would pick from a counter, had to trim a lot of fat away, the thick hard stuff, rest will be fine once it's had a soak

Caron "Och that's a shame Farway, perhaps when you get the other freezer you could buy a few from the Farm shop or buy online."
    Yep, that's my intention, get it stocked with decent meat & fish, and maybe some frozen chips:o
    I good idea... but, when it comes down to it, it remains an idea, then it's too late (other excuses are available)...
    Today is the day .... marmalade bread/butter pudding day.

Sounds lovely for this weather, I think can smell it from here on the West wind, as someone said recently, like a Bisto kid:D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    If you're going out to a remembrance, then to check the weather in your area, use ventusky.com

Once loaded, type your place in the top area.
    Then look to the left you'll see Precipitation - and be able to see when/where rain will come. You'll also see wind - and be able to see wind and gusts. At the bottom you can click through the day/times to see how it changes.

To change wind from km to mph you want Settings, top right and scroll to the bottom.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 11 November 2018 at 10:57AM
    B/B/marmalade prepped and in the fridge. This is a 3-slice sized one. 3's plenty for CFO. They charge about £2 if you buy one in the shops... maybe £1 if you really grub around and look for a cheapie. Bread/6p, egg/9p, milk/8p, other bits/bobs say 10p.... costs 33p to make! I'll try to remember to weigh it when it's done, for £/100g comparison with bought ones.

This is the time I always think "should've done it last night then I'd have simply needed to get it out when I was ready to cook it" :)

Blue skies, sunny here at the moment - but "a bit nippy in the wind".

No significant rain expected. Wind 21mph gusting at 32mph.
  • wort
    I've just had egg on toast, used up another egg, and will keep me full longer than just toast.
    It's tipping down here , which is a mess ! The square at the cenotaph is not big and add umbrellas into the mix!!
    Dgson will be coming back with me and I've got a rotisserie chicken for tea, and I've peeled the potatoes, will do carrots and broccoli Yorkshire puds and gravy. The chicken can go in about 3pm and we can have tea about 5pm. I reckon the standing in the rain and walking will make us hungry.
    Off to check PN s weather site. I've already checked 2 others, I'll choose the best !!!
    :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback