Adventures of the Boy & Me: Part 2..

Hello,

I figured it was time for a new diary and fresh start as we head into the new year. I'm excited to see what 2018 has in store for us and plan to sail through it with as much positivity as possible.

This year has seen many changes, both good and bad. The thing is, we made it through, that's all that matters.

I'm a different person to whom I was at the beginning of the year. Alot has happened but its time to refocus on myself and the time with the boy. It's time to create new adventures and memories and work towards a secure future for us both.

I've recently came into some inheritance which thankfully will clear what debt I had left. This amount was £7000. I have enough left to pop into seperate saving accounts and the money I used to pay towards the debt will be redirected elsewhere to build a secure future for me and the boy.

I need to get back into a routine and start a new budget which is manageable and flexible. I intend to go through all my bills, accounts and budgets and see where I stand and then plan ahead for the next few months.

This is also the year I focus on rebuilding myself back up. I've come a long way from where I was at the beginning of the year and I finally have a medication regime which seems to work for me. The next stage is to undergo CBT therapy and possibly counselling to make myself a much stronger person and to address issues that I've put to the back of my mind.

All in all, I'm excited for the year ahead and look forward to tracking my goals, dreams and aspirations and to share them with others.

Somethings will be left in the past, others I will carry into the future with me. It's just deciding exactly what I want and working towards it.

Anything is possible, if you put your mind to it.
Chandelier.
Current Debt Repaid:
£104/£619.

Check out my Diary
:D

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Happy new diary , will follow your new one !
  • Happy new diary, I love your positivity. You are completely right, anything is possible.
    Change the way you see things and the things you see will change
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,243 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • mary_hinge
    mary_hinge Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Happy New diary! I will be watching from the sidelines

Mrs H x
    Living in a superhero induced haze :A:A
    "You did good Kidda!" :D
  • So I've just finished work and its been a heck of a long day, I was glad to finish.

I'm still trying to catch up on lost sleep from the past 7-10 days.. hopefully once I've done this my moods may stabilise out more. It's been hard to admit I've been struggling over the festive period and a lot has gone on but I cannot keep giving up my head space and overthinking things as it drives me insane and leaves me confused. I need to work on learning how to cope and handle the shift changes of my moods/behaviour and remain positive throughout. I definately need to come out of it all a better person and get the old me back. How? I don't know but its something I'm determined to do.

In regards to spends over the past few weeks I have been quite guilty and have overspent but it's time to rein it in for the month ahead. I've been shopping over the past few days and have bought a couple of bits for myself.. It's been nice to buy for myself for once. I got two nice new coats in the sales and saved around 50% off the original prices, a new purse, some bath stuff and a lovely little charm bracelet with a guardian angel wing which at the time of buying it, made me feel protected. I also bought a shiny new diary, a new scrapbook to pop this next years adventures into and some mascara. So all in all a spendy few days but definately worth it. I feel better for it.

I've yet to think of my definate goals for the year ahead but there is a lot going on. I have an upcoming holiday which I need to save for, a wedding and other events spread amongst 2018. Hopefully it shall be a fun year and one filled with lots of love, joy and laughter.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hey Chandelier, checking in with your shiny new diary. Sounds like you too have had a tough year so wishing you all the best for 2018.

Totally get what you say about 'brain whirl' it's a real pain in the proverbial. Have you ever tried using Bach flower remedies? They do a Rescue Remedy Night-time? (the night time one has White Chestnut in it which is what helps with things going round and round incessantly.) It works for me in helping to calm things down a bit. All natural and not very expensive - just thought it worth a mention in case you have never tried it.

Looking forward to joining you for 2018 xx
  • Chandelier.
    Chandelier. Posts: 933 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 31 December 2017 at 1:21PM
    January 2018 Budget

Direct debits

Board: £200.00
    HTB Isa: £200.00
    Mobile: £81.46
    Phone insurance: £6.99
    Denplan: £11.99
    Gym: £12.99
    Union fees: £16.40
    Prescription: £10.40

Other budgets

Extra Curricular: £320.00
    Petrol: £80.00
    Savings: £200

Totals:

Income: £1500.00
    Outgoings: £1140.24
    Surplus: £359.76
    --

So in my last diary I had already used Januarys income to make some extra payments towards the debt which brung the balances down to £7000.

As mentioned previously I have been on a small spending spree so this budget is now based on what income I have left for the month ahead.

I've allocated a portion to savings and will leave the surplus for outgoings that are unaccounted for or for entertainment purposes. If I have anything left at the beginning of the month then brilliant, if not thats okay.

On a side note, my phone bill is really high this month due to overgoing on my minutes allowance then obviously there were phone calls to make. I'm undecided whether to enter a new phone contract or go sim only. I cant seem to find a good enough phone tarriff for that much cheaper. I can afford the outgoings each month and most of the sim only plans want you to enter a contract now which seems pointless. Its food for thought.

Anyhow thats the budget worked out. Now its time to redirect the money and sort out bank accounts.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You sound very motivated and organised all ready for 2018!

Happy New Year!
  • Morning.. Welcome to 2018. This year will be our year of adventures and making memories to last a life time.

Yesterday ended up being yet another spendy day.. I bought some new underwear, pyjamas, pens, razors and deodorant. This should be it now for spending over the next few days.. £70 quid later :o.. I'll need to align my bank accounts to make it balance out.

I have sorted out all my online banking and created new pots for the different expenses each month. I feel a lot more organised in doing this and this will enable me to budget better. I've also set up a First Direct savings account which will earn me 5% interest. I'll save the maximum amount which is £300 per month into this and won't touch it for the next 12 months.

I've also phoned up my phone contract provider and have cancelled my contract and requested a pac code. I'm going to go sim only with giff gaff which will save me around £15 per month. I'm going to use the £10 package as a starting point to see if this suits my needs and if not I can always move onto the next package. I need to cancel my phone insurance as that's no longer required. I'm trying to dwindle down my direct debits as much as possible.

I need to phone up the tax office and sort out my tax code as this is wrong and I've been emergency taxed last month which is rubbish.

I'm at work this morning, all is going well and its a nice relaxed morning. I finish at half three. I've text my friend to see if he wants to meet for a drink afterwards or I could pop round to his for a coffee.

I also need to sort out my bedroom and put ironing away and sort through christmas presents and find a home for each of them.

So all in all a busy day. I'm hoping to get an early night after staying up to see the new year in with close family. I overslept this morning and I'm very tired.

Bye for now!
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Happy new year

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure