First time for everything - sensible renewal quote!

Joe_Horner
Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Just had my renewal quote come through from Tesco and, not only has it actually gone down (by 86p), it still beats anything from the comparison sites, including a new quote from them. So they actually have given me their best price up front instead of playing the inertia game.

Well done Tesco!

Comments

• Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Have you checked what the prices will be after going through cashback sites?
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    I thought it was just me, my Tesco renewal came through at £2.00 more than last year. I went with it ................ after checking EXACT same cover. Just goes to show it can be done.
  • n217970
    n217970 Posts: 338 Forumite
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    Just had my renewal quote come through from Tesco and, not only has it actually gone down (by 86p), it still beats anything from the comparison sites, including a new quote from them. So they actually have given me their best price up front instead of playing the inertia game.

Well done Tesco!

Just to check, on the comparison sites you have put your "real" information in haven't you? I always used to make a fake person, get the quotes, then give the best one my real details but got caught out about a year ago as it seemed my renewal was cheaper so stuck with it. Later I found out that if they can't do a proper credit check on you on the comparisons sites they inflate the quotes by about 25%
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    n217970 wrote: »
    Just to check, on the comparison sites you have put your "real" information in haven't you? I always used to make a fake person, get the quotes, then give the best one my real details but got caught out about a year ago as it seemed my renewal was cheaper so stuck with it. Later I found out that if they can't do a proper credit check on you on the comparisons sites they inflate the quotes by about 25%

Yes, it was real details. Just re-ran the quotes from last year (after updating no claims) seeing as nothing else has changed.

Haven't checked through cashback sites because, while I know it's not necessarily MSE, I just can't be bothered to faff with them. Plus, have enough people tracking my every move as it is without adding them to the mix :)
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post

I did not know this. Thanks for sharing.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Well done for posting one MSE about this - it is definitely news worthy that someone has had a sensible renewal quote!
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    They don't do "credit checks" when you run a quote, whoever told you this!
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,023 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Doesn't sound like Tesco.

When my home insurance was due for renewal with them they bumped the premium up by over 30%.

They tried to justify the increase by saying that there had maybe been a rise in break-in's locally. In other words, they were making it up as they went along.
  • n217970
    n217970 Posts: 338 Forumite
    neilmcl wrote: »
    They don't do "credit checks" when you run a quote, whoever told you this!

Alright if you want to be pedantic a "soft search" but the point is if they can't find you the quote is more expensive, fake me gets a quote of £100 more then real me, fake wife gets £150 more then real wife.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/comparison-site-credit-score
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    eschaton wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like Tesco.

I just had my Tesco pet insurance renewal quote and they'd bumped it by exactly 50% for both dogs. When I phoned them they refused to budge and most definitely wouldn't price match. Doing a new customer application didn't lower it and the T&C's were much worse.

I ended up with L&G for less than I was paying Tesco's for similar cover.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure