PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Estate Agent Advice

Hi
Hope all well.
I was with one estate agent for a year but had poor service so gave them 28 days notice to cancel the contract. I have gone with another estate agent now but the old estate agent continues to market the property on their website and rightmove even though the contract ended 11/5/18.
They wanted to put a viewer through for a 2nd viewing but have told them no as they are not entitled to market the property. They claim that if the viewer goes to the new agent then we are liable to pay the fees as they found them originally.

Does anyone know how to deal with bad estate agents (Paul Carr) and what the rights are to property removal?

Thanks

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    What does your contract say?

Chances are if they introduced the buyer (first viewing), then they'll be due the fee. Did they pass their name on to the second EA?
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,436 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Montuiiri wrote: »
    They claim that if the viewer goes to the new agent then we are liable to pay the fees as they found them originally.

That's how almost all estate agents contracts work. The old EA 'introduced' that person, so they are due a fee if that person goes on to buy.

Hopefully, your new EA's contract says you wouldn't have to pay the new EA's fee, for a buyer introduced by your previous EA.

(Sadly, some EA's contracts don't say that, especially if they are 'sole selling rights'.)

Check your new EA's contract, and potentially tell the new EA about the person coming for a second viewing, to avoid any 'misunderstanding' in the future.
  • Montuiiri
    Montuiiri Posts: 10 Forumite
    It is in the old EA contract that within 6 months of termination. Surely thats just any that have had an actual viewing? Luckily only a few as the agent Paul Carr were absolutely useless. Terrible service, feedback over a week later.
    New agent knows and also have said not to worry as uts the 2nd complaint this week they have had about the said agent.
    Also surely they have no right to be marketing it now as we terminated the contract?? Have given them 24 hours to remove from all websites.

EAs are just ruthless. Terrible industry.
  • hazyjo
    Surely thats just any that have had an actual viewing?
    Thought they had. Who was the first viewing with then? You said "They wanted to put a viewer through for a 2nd viewing"
  • KittenChops
    KittenChops Posts: 327 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    It is in the old EA contract that within 6 months of termination. Surely thats just any that have had an actual viewing? Luckily only a few as the agent Paul Carr were absolutely useless. Terrible service, feedback over a week later.
    New agent knows and also have said not to worry as uts the 2nd complaint this week they have had about the said agent.
    Also surely they have no right to be marketing it now as we terminated the contract?? Have given them 24 hours to remove from all websites.

EAs are just ruthless. Terrible industry.

(my bolding)
    Potentially not just anyone that had a viewing, but anyone that registered an interest (e.g. arranged a viewing but cancelled it)
  • Montuiiri
    Original viewing with old agent back in april. Now terminated contract from 11th may but they have still been trying to out viewers forward to view and weve said no as they are no longer agent. Someone wanted 2nd viewing but said no as now under contract with new agent.

Anyway they have only had about 4 viewers in 6 months so shouldnt be an issue. It cant count as people on mailing lists as most agents would have same lists as people sign up to all of them.

Anyway just looked again and eventually removed from both sites.
    Absolutely terrible agent. Poor customer service and never any feedback unless ask for it. Usually a week later or more.

Thanks anyway.
  • hazyjo
    Original viewing with old agent back in april. Now terminated contract from 11th may but they have still been trying to out viewers forward to view and weve said no as they are no longer agent. Someone wanted 2nd viewing but said no as now under contract with new agent.
    I would have accepted the second viewing and paid the first agents. (Would have to check contract to see if 2nd ones were due any fee.)

Not nice dealing with rubbish ones - I had to buy through one who'd had me in tears, belittled me, and made me jump through bloody hoops to buy the house - but I still dealt with them. Blocked their number mind, and told them to only deal with me on email (said I couldn't take calls at work). Was okay by the end and it all went through in around 9 weeks which is pretty good.
  • Montuiiri
    Yeah agents are ruthless.
    Wouldn't want to give the old agent privilege to be honest. They were useless and incompetent.
    It will sell soon enough with the new one.

Thanks all anyway.
  • mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    edited 15 May 2018 at 3:36PM

Anyway they have only had about 4 viewers in 6 months so shouldnt be an issue. It cant count as people on mailing lists as most agents would have same lists as people sign up to all of them.

Anyway just looked again and eventually removed from both sites.
    Absolutely terrible agent. Poor customer service and never any feedback unless ask for it. Usually a week later or more.

Thanks anyway.

Inform the agent that since you have withdrawn consent for the services provided you now require them to erase all the personal data they hold about you under article 17 of the GDPR or you will report them to the regulator.

Edit: if they haven!!!8217;t removed things by 25th May....
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    mrginge wrote: »
    Inform the agent that since you have withdrawn consent for the services provided you now require them to erase all the personal data they hold about you under article 17 of the GDPR or you will report them to the regulator.

It's not designed to be used to get out of legally binding contracts. Can you imagine the free for all that would result if it did.

'I've racked up a massive debt but I require company x to delete all data they hold about me'!

The data collected by the EA is still required as per the terms of the OPs contract with them, and can be proven that it is still required. If the EA erases all data, how they can enforce the term that the OP readily agreed to at the outset?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure