PPI claim help

Hi, I took out a Debenhams store card in 2003, I was very young at the time and when the assistant asked me I wanted to spread the cost and get money off, I thought it sounded like a great idea. When we did the form she asked me if I was working and I said no (my son was very young and I hadn’t gone back to work yet) she said that’s fine, any benefits you receive will count. Here the worry, I don’t remember for sure but I have a horrible feeling she said we will mark it as employed and you do receive a regular income. At the time it didn’t even occur to me as it was her suggestion. There was no mention of PPI so I didn’t think I was ever sold any but someone recently suggested I check as they were never told about it, I did check and I was sold it. I definitely wasn’t told about it, didn’t want it and would never have agreed to it had I known. I recently received the paperwork from them asking if I was working at the time etc, I am now unsure what to do. I don’t want to lie on the form but if I say I was unemployed and my form says I was employed, not only will they throw my claim out but I may also be in trouble. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Tell the truth.

If you feel you may have lied at the time, it may be best to discontinue the complaint.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,780 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Put on there you told them you were unemployed and the assistant's comments, you can't prove it but better to be honest - sales assistants weren't trained advisers but of course it could be seen as you lying to get the cover depending on their records

I would suggest researching what you actually had, PPI didn't let you extend payments, it covered missed payments so maybe you took out the card to pay off over a period and they bunged the PPI on after
  • Im not 100% sure either way. Is it worth doing a SAR to see what information they hold on me? They may have marked it as Housewife, its just the thought came into my mind.
    I didn't know PPI was added and don't know when they added it, it could have been on the day or at a later date.

Thank you for your help
  • Thank you for your reply. I don't feel like i lied, I gave her the information and she filled out the form. I remember her saying something about my benefits counting as income as it was a regular income. I haven't seen the form since and it was such a long time a go, its just now I am thinking I wonder if she marked it as employed. She obviously marked the PPI box without my knowledge so I wouldn't be surprised. Im just a little worried that if she did mark that and I signed it I could be in trouble. I was very young at the time, I had never had any credit or even heard of credit before so really had no clue about it.
    Thank you for taking the time to answer and offer your opinion :)
  • Nasqueron
    Thank you for your reply. I don't feel like i lied, I gave her the information and she filled out the form. I remember her saying something about my benefits counting as income as it was a regular income. I haven't seen the form since and it was such a long time a go, its just now I am thinking I wonder if she marked it as employed. She obviously marked the PPI box without my knowledge so I wouldn't be surprised. Im just a little worried that if she did mark that and I signed it I could be in trouble. I was very young at the time, I had never had any credit or even heard of credit before so really had no clue about it.
    Thank you for taking the time to answer and offer your opinion :)

I didn't mean you lied, just that if the assistant put you were employed even though you weren't, it could be seen as you saying that to get the card given the only evidence would be the form being ticked.

SAR could be helpful (should be free soon, if not already, I forget when the date is) but you don't need it for a complaint

Probably worth just putting the complaint in, point out you weren't working and that you were misled as to what the card was for (as above, PPI didn't allow you to spread payments) and see what they say. It'll either be NewDay or Santander depending on dates
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If there was Ppi, how can you say you knew nothing about it. You would have signed to say you had read and signed that you accepted all the terms of the agreement.
    Remember, this is 15 years ago.
    Surely at 2003 this was pre regulation ?
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Hi,
    I had no idea it was on there or even what PPI was, the assistant filled out the form and said she had marked all the necessary parts.

How could anyone claim to be mis-sold PPI of signing to agree meant you understood?
  • Thank you for your reply. I will see what comes up on the SARS form, maybe I was already back at work or it wasn't marked as employed. I don't have the dates or information.

Thanks again :)
  • Nasqueron
    McKneff wrote: »
    If there was Ppi, how can you say you knew nothing about it. You would have signed to say you had read and signed that you accepted all the terms of the agreement.
    Remember, this is 15 years ago.
    Surely at 2003 this was pre regulation ?

Pre-regulation yes, they might bounce it, they might pay out, can't predict with Santander/New Day
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

How could anyone claim to be mis-sold PPI if signing to agree meant you understood?
    There are many ways to be mis-sold.

Claiming you knew nothing about the insurance is one of the weakest reasons.

It's a myth sponsored by claim companies that PPI was routinely added to loans and credit cards without the permission and knowledge of the customer.

If you truly knew nothing about the PPI, it simply means you've forgotten agreeing to it and that since you've not checked your statements, where it would appear itemised on a seperate line every month your account had an outstanding balance..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure