PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    cool bedding was, er, cool last night, every time I turned over and I was kind of wishing I have left the warm bedding on but realised that I had slept better in cool

Had tea and banana so far and waiting for turkey sausages to cook, will have those with baked beans and an egg. Lunch will be stir fry, I liked it yesterday and have shallot to use up, no garlic left and I have used up all my grown garlic from last year, new garlic will be ready to harvest in a few weeks. LO pinto beans (few) to eat with the stir fry and will nibble some walnuts and pistacheos after. I may well have half a tin of sardines on a slice of spelt mid morning. Just normal stuff, nothing exciting but all healthy enough

I won`t be thinking much of food, I have some hm jumpers to sort ie re-design/re-knit necklines.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,059
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Good morning everyone,

After yesterday's stormy & wet weather the sun is shining this morning and it's supposed to get to 15C temperature wise. Yesterday it barely reached double figures.....

Usual toast/fruit for breakfast and lunch will be a salad roll. Tonight I fancy baking some pollock in diced tomato & chorizo, I'll probably have that with baked baby spud and either kale or spinach.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 12 May 2018 at 12:17PM
    Quite likely to move again. Nice village, nice people but I still hanker for Yorkshire and could do without the rainfall here. So that is definitely a factor in choice of finance. I might even just get a loan if it means I can do certain improvements together instead of piecemeal - which can add to the expense anyway.
    Had a couple of Ginster pies for lunch. Plus the Methodist church is doing crafts and a cream tea at the village hall. There is an admission charge which includes the cream tea. I'm not a cream tea kinda gal but to get at the crafts I'm going to have to fork out - so might as well get my money's worth. It's official - Methodists make you fat!
    Not only that but it seems we have to thank them for there being no pub in the village - the Temperance bods got the last one closed down! :(
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,052
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Raining here today, I don't really mind as I'm working from home this afternoon and evening, hopefully only to 7pm but as our IT guys often over run it could be later.

Found some scampi in the freezer so had that with veg for lunch, I've taken out some chicken curry for dinner as I'm not sure when I'll finish work, I think it will need yogurt added as it was a bit :eek::eek:when it went in the freezer

I'm going to marinate some chicken thighs later for tomorrow dinner, I use a Tom Kerridges recipe for oven baked 'fried' chicken, my nephew will appreciate the left over buttermilk for pancakes :D as I'm not sure what to do with it and it says it doesn't freeze and I don't want to make soda bread. Any ideas what else I can do with half a pot of buttermilk?
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,116
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Dull & cool today, up before 7, but just slumped about drinking pot of tea, then nuked normal porridge + banana etc

Had time to go out, but so dull & chilly out decided to stay in, nothing needed TBH

Bit of [STRIKE]poncing about[/STRIKE] working on PC, then lunch of cheese salad sarnie

Spur of moment decision, made some scones, bog standard.
    Up to, or more like down to, my usual scone standard, they are like thick soft biscuits:( I've tried all recipes & methods, just do not turn out like cafe, or MIL, ones. I'll eat them regardless, strawberry jam solves many problems

Dinner will be use up one of the YS cheese & onion pasties, may have some oven chips with it, or maybe just scone + jam binge post pastie:o
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Brambling wrote: »
    Any ideas what else I can do with half a pot of buttermilk?
    Buttermilk rice pudding. Hot or cold - delicious. :T
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 12 May 2018 at 2:21PM
    Decent weather here today - always occasion for a feeling of relief to me here.

Been planting up some seeds for growing a bit more food - none of which I think I've ever eaten before. Always glad of the chance of something different I am...

Coffeebreak - and then I think I'll do some outside house maintenance.

Lunch was just puffed quinoa cereal with fruit and some toast with marmalade (healthy version - complete without sugar being me:) ).

Dinner will probably also be something cba - could be the roast vegetables again and I've forgotten to get some chickpeas out of the freezer again for making hummus. So - that'll mean another half tin of chickpeas getting put in the freezer. I've got rather a lot of half tins of chickpeas in there by now....

Pineapple - I can sympathise with frequent rain getting one down, if you're not used to it. I know it's depressing to people that are used to it - but I'm sure it must be even more depressing to those of us not used to it. I guess we all prefer "our norm". It's gobsmacking too, I find, just how much different communities live in their own little bubble and some bubbles are a good bit more opaque than others (ie such a low proportion of people have spent much/if any time outside said bubble that they don't really realise what life is like/how people think elsewhere). I keep being gobsmacked at coming across people who havent been that far at all actually. Back at "Home" I only ever once literally came across someone that told me he had never been outside the county.

Hope you can figure this out to your satisfaction okay. Fingers crossed.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,052
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    pineapple wrote: »
    Buttermilk rice pudding. Hot or cold - delicious. :T

Thanks Pineapple, do you mix it with milk or just make it with buttermilk.
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,663
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    A nice day here, I've got some washing dried, and been in the garden till now.
    Done some weeding and pruning, had a scare when a black bird flew into my open fresh door, I thought it was dead then realised it was breathing, I'm really squeamish, and it was really upsetting, luckily it must have just been concussed, as it eventually started to move, going into the bushes, and then over the wall.
    I had a cheese and onion toastie and a pear and satsuma for lunch, tea I have just put fish fingers and a rosti potato on, I'll put it on a part baked baguette, with cheese and lettuce, some alliolli and ketchup.,
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 May 2018 at 4:36PM
    Always glad of the chance of something different I am...

now that is definitely welshie, my friends always spoke like that :D

I have been reading about some very interesting developments in the mortgage markets ie interest only mortgages for oldies, they are not equity release. Would make a very good lifeline for those who definitely want to stay in their homes but want/need cash. Looks as though the rate is <4% worth looking into if you want to stay where you are and need updating. There is a big difference between those and equity release, its a much better deal ie you can borrow a % and if you sell the house, they will take that % and you retain the capital that remains

Food has been fine today, plenty of veg and a couple of nice things. Main thing is that I have successfully altered 3 hm knitted tops that will be excellent to wear all through spring and as layers. Just finished and done no exercise at all, will be wanting to change that tomorrow.

I know I have a chicken lasagne rm in the freezer, it will be calling me tomorrow, maybe for first meal, eat like a king and all that :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback