Cancel Caravan Finance

Purchased a caravan on the understanding would fit on a particular plot,put a large deposit down of £10,200 on the 27th April 2018. To be now told wont fit on the plot and they have offered me another plot that isnt suitable for what i wanted.The remainder is on finance. Can this be cancelled or do you only have so long to cancel it ?

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Who arranged the finance ? If it was all part of the sale and the item is not as described you should insist on a refund and unwinding of the finance. You need to read the contract of sale carefully to find your options in this scenario.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    anyhols wrote: »
    Purchased a caravan on the understanding would fit on a particular plot,put a large deposit down of £10,200 on the 27th April 2018. To be now told wont fit on the plot and they have offered me another plot that isnt suitable for what i wanted.The remainder is on finance. Can this be cancelled or do you only have so long to cancel it ?

If you cancel the finance, how are you going to pay for the caravan?

You need to persuade the seller to cancel the sale. If the seller promised it would fit on the plot, then they should acknowledge their error and do so. If they don't then you need to contact the finance company and make a s75 claim on the grounds of misrepresentation.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What exactly was the reason for purchasing the caravan?
    If it was a consumer purchase (ie, for you to live in or to use for your personal holidays) then you should have the option of "S75" protection as mentioned by antrobus but if you were buying it with the intent of renting it out or using it for other business purposes then S75 may not apply.
  • usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite

Why is one patch of grass 'suitable for what you wanted' but another patch of grass isn't?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What was the total price for the caravan? Just you said a large deposit of £10k and if the price was over £30,000 then section 75 wouldn't apply (although seciont 75a would - but this only covers very limited circumstances).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite

Well, firstly I'd like to know whether the caravan and plot are separate contracts or whether it was a package.

If a package then dig out any evidence you have which says that the company intended to provide you with caravan X on plot Y, then you've got a fairly straightforward case. You'd probably need to speak to a solicitor due to the price, but the item is technically not as described.

If separate, then you need to establish where the measurements have gone awry. Three possibilities:

1. The measurements of the caravan are wrong (go after the provider of the caravan for item not being as described)

2. The measurements of the plot are wrong (go after the provider of the plot, potentially for consequential loss. This would be the trickiest scenario)

3. You have made a hash of the measurements for either of the above (tough luck)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure