PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm’s Thread 2018

Comments

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Does it drive anyone else mad?

I picked up a book at the library last week with a great synopsis and was really looking forward to reading it. As soon as I started reading I realised the entire book was grossly over punctuated. It had commas in the middle of sentences that didn't need to be there, full stops after three or four word sentences, semi colons all over the place, completely interrupting the flow. It was so bad I gave up.

This week I popped in to the library, taking said book back with only half a chapter read, and picked up some more titles from the 'express' section. I didn't pay any attention to the authors, just chose some interesting storylines. Low and behold, when I got home I started reading the book I was most looking forward to, only to realise it was by the same bloomin' author, again grossly over punctuated.

I'm going to persevere this time, see if I can manage to block out the commas, but it just makes reading a chore rather than a pleasure when words don't flow properly.

It does make me wonder why the editor didn't suggest less punctuation. Did the author think it made them stand out from other writers in their genre? Well they're right, it does, but not for a good reason.

Rant over ;)
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Does it drive anyone else mad?

I picked up a book at the library last week with a great synopsis and was really looking forward to reading it. As soon as I started reading I realised the entire book was grossly over punctuated. It had commas in the middle of sentences that didn't need to be there, full stops after three or four word sentences, semi colons all over the place, completely interrupting the flow. It was so bad I gave up.

This week I popped in to the library, taking said book back with only half a chapter read, and picked up some more titles from the 'express' section. I didn't pay any attention to the authors, just chose some interesting storylines. Low and behold, when I got home I started reading the book I was most looking forward to, only to realise it was by the same bloomin' author, again grossly over punctuated.

I'm going to persevere this time, see if I can manage to block out the commas, but it just makes reading a chore rather than a pleasure when words don't flow properly.

It does make me wonder why the editor didn't suggest less punctuation. Did the author think it made them stand out from other writers in their genre? Well they're right, it does, but not for a good reason.

Rant over ;)
    I cannot agree or disagree, as i do not which book you are referring to.

Just finished this
    34089775.jpg

very unexpected twist at the end.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Syman wrote: »
    I cannot agree or disagree, as i do not which book you are referring to.

It was a rant in general, but the two books this week are 'The Day She Disappeared' and 'The Crooked House' by Christobel Kent. I have a feeling I also gave up on her 'The Loving Husband' some time back.

Having just read some reviews of her books it seems that many people don't like her writing style. She seems to be a bit marmite.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Charly27
    Charly27 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    I’ve now completed my 15th book this year. Callie22- that’s all of the Cazalet Chronicles now. Read ‘Casting Off’ in April (that made four) and ‘All Change’ last week. Felt a bit bereft after five books about the same family which I suppose is a good sign? Not sure where to go fiction wise as too many choices so I’m reading a couple of non-fiction The Joy of Less by Francine Jay (Miss Minimalist), The Telomere Effect and Rich Dad, Poor Dad on my Kindle. Thanks for all the great recommendations, my wish list in my bullet journal just keeps growing.
    ‘One of our greatest freedoms is how we react to things’ said Mole.Cross stitch cafe WIP ‘The Best is yet to come’ Emma Congham & ‘A Year in the Life of’ HSC. TaDa Welcome
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Book 12:

51NgANvcVoL._SX344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

7/10. Another quick read that does what it says on the tin, so in that sense it's inspiring.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Syman
    It was a rant in general, but the two books this week are 'The Day She Disappeared' and 'The Crooked House' by Christobel Kent. I have a feeling I also gave up on her 'The Loving Husband' some time back.

Having just read some reviews of her books it seems that many people don't like her writing style. She seems to be a bit marmite.

It is not something i have found in any particular book.I have "the crooked house" on my kindle so may give it a look.

Just finished
    101299.jpg

• RicardaRacoon
    RicardaRacoon Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I haven't posted in here in a while, which doesn't mean that I haven't been reading.

Everyone brave is forgiven - Chris Cleave
    Really enjoyed reading it, it was quite sad and intense at times, but also quite good fun due to the way it is written and some lovely expressions. One sentence went something like this: "THey rebuild their battery with the help of some manuels. Had they taken the wrong one it could also have turned into a bus shelter or a small factory for screws."

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban / Harry Potter and the Goblet of FIre - J. K. Rowling

Not much to say about that...

The japanese lover - Isabel Allende

Really enjoyed reading it from the first few pages on. It left some lose plot lines at the end, but I think I'm ok with that.

Fever at Dawn - Peter Gardos

Read the first 20 or so pages so far and although it is a nice read I don't really know if I'll like it.

Things I'm planning to read

Harry Potter 5-7
    Russian Winter - Daphne Kalotay. Read it 3 years or so ago and wanted to reread it for a while
    The dust that falls from dreams - Louis de Bernieres
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Syman wrote: »
    Just finished
    101299.jpg
    How did you find it? It's anlther one that's been sitting on my shelf for ages....

If you recommend it I might dive in, from what I remember it's another short-ish book (under 200 pages).
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Syman
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    How did you find it? It's anlther one that's been sitting on my shelf for ages....

If you recommend it I might dive in, from what I remember it's another short-ish book (under 200 pages).

It is another book where to say "i enjoyed it" kind of does it a disservice.

I would recommend reading it. As you say, it is a short book.

• Syman
    Book 23 finished
    35857495.jpg

This discussion has been closed.