do sellers overstate the condition of goods?

Options
2»

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Happened to me the other day. I bought an 4G router listed as "New other". The listing stated that it had been used for less than a week. On receipt, the device's data usage log showed that it had in fact been quite heavily used for over a couple of months.

I'm still umming and arring over what kind of feedback to leave as it works fine.
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    ThinkingOfLinking Posts: 11,828 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    The problem is though that buyers expect 'new' to be current season and mint and I imagine that anything older that perhaps has that slightly stored dusty smell could end up with the seller having an issue.

For me, I would definitely regard the item as being new. I've bought items which are years old but NWT and I see them as new based on their condition not their age. That said, if I had a new item to sell which had been sitting in storage, I would explain that in the listing at the very top of the item description, and also would say if it smelt musty or whatever.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For me, I would definitely regard the item as being new. I've bought items which are years old but NWT and I see them as new based on their condition not their age. That said, if I had a new item to sell which had been sitting in storage, I would explain that in the listing at the very top of the item description, and also would say if it smelt musty or whatever.

Unfortunately the fact it was described as 'new' would almost certainly be an automatic win for a buyer claiming SNAD.

It's an absolute minefield out there now, eBay has taken away any common sense approaches to selling and sellers have to do anything to protect their accounts.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    ThinkingOfLinking Posts: 11,828 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Unfortunately the fact it was described as 'new' would almost certainly be an automatic win for a buyer claiming SNAD.

It's an absolute minefield out there now, eBay has taken away any common sense approaches to selling and sellers have to do anything to protect their accounts.

Maybe that's what the "new (other)" category is for then....
  • soolin
    Options
    Maybe that's what the "new (other)" category is for then....

It's not available in most categories, only a limited few.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • alykatz
    alykatz Posts: 926 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 8 May 2018 at 12:52PM
    Options

This is exactly why i advertise new with tag items that are a few years old as used.
    Whilst i would personally not mark a seller down for selling items like this as new there are a lot of numpties out there especially on ebay and my upmost priority is to keep my account safe.
    I only sell sporadically so dont have a big or regular turnover to water down any defects.
    LadyDee wrote: »
    To be honest you might be narrowing your market doing this - personally I would be buy something listed as unworn but been hanging in wardrobe for a while, but not something listed as used.

In an ideal world yes i agree with you but ebay these days is something else unfortunately.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The problem is though that buyers expect 'new' to be current season and mint and I imagine that anything older that perhaps has that slightly stored dusty smell could end up with the seller having an issue.

I appreciate what you're saying, you're an experienced seller and have no doubt come up against some buyers' unrealistic expectations. I would still prefer something listed as, "been hanging in the wardrobe for a couple of years unworn - would benefit from a freshen in the wm". What I wouldn't buy under any circumstances is something that is described as "plenty of life left in it"!:(
  • soolin
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    I appreciate what you're saying, you're an experienced seller and have no doubt come up against some buyers' unrealistic expectations. I would still prefer something listed as, "been hanging in the wardrobe for a couple of years unworn - would benefit from a freshen in the wm". What I wouldn't buy under any circumstances is something that is described as "plenty of life left in it"!:(

Strangely enough I'm trying to source a particular style of shoe, it's an old range but occasionally a brand new pair from storage turns up on ebay in my size, so I do keep watching. Found a pair recently, brand new with no tags - brilliant1 Looked at description where it explained they had been worn to a wedding, only for the evening part where they mainly sat down, so 2-3 hours wear at 'tops' and only indoors - so selling as new without tags. That's what really annoys me!
  • kay0601
    kay0601 Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    I've bought a few times where items are listed as new but they turn out used. I bought a Lego watch at xmas and it was new in box. It arrived missing bits and they'd sent it in an envelope so the box was crushed. Returned it but the seller was really rude and claimed I'd damaged the box on purpose until I sent her a picture of the envelope before I opened it. Not my first rodeo with a cheeky seller :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure