Mind the 'age' gap: retirement planning

Comments

• Noobie2011
    Noobie2011 Posts: 289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mojisola wrote: »
    I agree with that - we spent years self-employed and being your own boss is great!

I knkw and I am sure a lot more risk is involved as ylu are 100% reliant on yourself for income but Inwoukd bet the rewards far outweigh that.

In anything I have done to earn money outside work I have put far greater effort, passion and desire in
  • Noobie2011
    Noobie2011 Posts: 289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    atush wrote: »
    You dont have to live on house equity at this tage, you could fill your S&S isa allowances. And use that in any retirement before pensions pay out.

If there is a really big age gap, I would say the older one (health permitting) should work a few years longer, and the younger one to whack as much into pensions and S&S isas as possible. That way they might be able to retire at 53/54 perhaps.

I do agree and think it comes down to personal choice money permitting of course and we may have different views come 10 years time but just making sure we have plans in place that can fufill either
  • Cottage_Economy
    Cottage_Economy Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 May 2018 at 1:13PM
    Asked at work about front-loading my pension in the same way as you can with ISAs, with a view to perhaps getting a few extra sheckles from it being invested in the market longer with little effort on my part.

The answer was not what I was hoping for but something else to consider.

"You can increase your contributions in any particular month. If you paid over 3 months, you would be effectively paying 32% for one month. However, [employer] will only match up to 5% in any particular month.
    As the pension scheme is a salary sacrifice one, you will miss out on tax and NI reductions if you were to lump several months into one, so I would advise against doing this. It would also be impossible to calculate this way as salary sacrifice calculations are somewhat complex.

Any pension contributions via salary sacrifice cannot take you below the National Minimum Wage, which would mean you would need to be left with a gross pay of £XXX per month.

So in a nutshell, you could temporarily increase % but [employer] will only match up to 5%, and then you would need to leave the scheme and re-join again the next year. An alternative could be to pay 11% for 6 months and 5% for 6 months, therefore maintaining the full contribution from [employer]."

So, is it better to get more in sooner to squeeze a few extra pounds out at a later date?
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Wow! That's high! At the moment we have a 60/40 split in DH's SIPP.
    It is, and I am slowly scaling back from 100% equity, but we have been investing in shares / funds for getting on for 40 years, so have seen a few ups 7 downs. Everyone needs to select the level they can sleep at nights with, and this level would only suit a small percentage of investors I guess.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,608 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Asked at work about front-loading my pension in the same way as you can with ISAs, with a view to perhaps getting a few extra sheckles from it being invested in the market longer with little effort on my part.

The answer was not what I was hoping for but something else to consider.

"You can increase your contributions in any particular month. If you paid over 3 months, you would be effectively paying 32% for one month. However, [employer] will only match up to 5% in any particular month.
    As the pension scheme is a salary sacrifice one, you will miss out on tax and NI reductions if you were to lump several months into one, so I would advise against doing this. It would also be impossible to calculate this way as salary sacrifice calculations are somewhat complex.

Any pension contributions via salary sacrifice cannot take you below the National Minimum Wage, which would mean you would need to be left with a gross pay of £XXX per month.

So in a nutshell, you could temporarily increase % but [employer] will only match up to 5%, and then you would need to leave the scheme and re-join again the next year. An alternative could be to pay 11% for 6 months and 5% for 6 months, therefore maintaining the full contribution from [employer]."

So, is it better to get more in sooner to squeeze a few extra pounds out at a later date?

I pay enough into my pension via salary sacrifice to keep me in basic rate tax - that works out to be quite a lot in contributions. I also don't spread it completely evenly as NI is calculated differently to income tax. Income tax is an annual thing so it gets adjusted at the end of the year if you haven't paid the right amount. NI works on a pay period - possibly even weekly and then rolled up to the month, not totally sure on that. A few times a year I sal sac down to national minimum wage which means I only pay a few quid NI instead of nearly £400. It is not re-evaluated at the end of the year so that is money straight in my pocket.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    DH 57, me 45. We don't have children so are not bothered about leaving an inheritance.

I will still be working when DH retires and if I retire at the normal 60/65 he will have spent the greater part of his retirement alone. He may not even be in the best of health by then. I have to retire early, 55 ideally.
    That seems a reasonable ambition to me.
    ... instead of getting 50% of DH's FS/DB pension when he dies, I get a reduced sum, about 2.5% for every year between us over 10 years, so 5% less.
    Is your husband's DB scheme one from which he could transfer out to a DC scheme? Has he asked for a calculation of his Cash Equivalent Transfer value?
    Drawdown pots can be inherited, annuities cannot. To maximise my income in retirement, it will have to be drawdown for both DH's SIPP and my personal pension.
    That seems right.
    We have a single storey long Victorian brick barn on the smallholding. We could convert that and move in, splitting the holding down the middle and selling off the main house, rather than sell up to a small place when we can't cope with a bigger house any more. That could release some cash.
    Shouldn't investigation of this idea be where you spend a large part of your energies at the moment? Could you compare it with converting the barn and letting it for a few years until you need it for yourselves?
    Would front-loading my occupational pension contributions at the start of the financial year with an employer match help build a bigger pension pot?
    Small beer.
    Should I take on the mortgage alone and extend the term when my sole income can cover it (approximately 3-4 years time)? This would reduce the monthly payment, and the difference used to build a bigger pension pot ready for my retirement. Taking the tax-free lump sum at the start of drawing DH's pension would bring it down and then I can do the same when I start drawing my pension.
    I don't know whether mortgage providers would object to your name being the only one on the mortgage. But it may not matter: you may find it possible to get a mortgage for the pair of you that runs until the youngest of you is 85. Or 95. See a mortgage broker.
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/apr/16/mortgage-new-offer-age-95
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Cottage_Economy
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    I pay enough into my pension via salary sacrifice to keep me in basic rate tax - that works out to be quite a lot in contributions. I also don't spread it completely evenly as NI is calculated differently to income tax. Income tax is an annual thing so it gets adjusted at the end of the year if you haven't paid the right amount. NI works on a pay period - possibly even weekly and then rolled up to the month, not totally sure on that. A few times a year I sal sac down to national minimum wage which means I only pay a few quid NI instead of nearly £400. It is not re-evaluated at the end of the year so that is money straight in my pocket.

So you pay something every month and get X% from your employer, then every now and then you do a huge contribution and take yourself right down to minimum wage and bring yourself under the higher tax bracket?

I have a terrible tendency to get analysis paralysis so I contacted my firm back and asked them to increase my contributions from my current 8% to 11% immediately, otherwise I will sit on this for another year wasting time. In November I will take it down to 5%, or, hopefully, find I can manage happily without the extra in my pay packet and leave it be. Who knows, this could become an annual thing :)
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,608 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So you pay something every month and get X% from your employer, then every now and then you do a huge contribution and take yourself right down to minimum wage and bring yourself under the higher tax bracket?

yep. Default is 5% from me gets 10% from employer. Last year I opted for additional 80% from me for 3 months, against the usual 25% additional that I do. This year I will do something similar.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Cottage_Economy
    edited 10 May 2018 at 6:14PM
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    That seems a reasonable ambition to me.

Yes, I would agree but I only have 10 years to do it and that bit doesn't feel do-able. I currently can't see how I can accumulate what I need to last the stretch.
    Is your husband's DB scheme one from which he could transfer out to a DC scheme? Has he asked for a calculation of his Cash Equivalent Transfer value?

It's Royal Mail and I'm not sure about doing that given the benefits he would be giving up. Also, there is a new scheme coming in that has a guaranteed minimum lump sum benefit attached to it. It has been mooted that for postman nearing retirement this would be more than the sum they could feasibly build up via their contributions so we're hanging on to find out a bit more. Whatever the CETV is, I cannot see it being extraordinary levels of magnitude over the standard 20x. Royal Mail is too tightfisted for that.
    Shouldn't investigation of this idea be where you spend a large part of your energies at the moment? Could you compare it with converting the barn and letting it for a few years until you need it for yourselves?

There are a few things standing in my way, specifically 10+ classic cars in various states of restoration :rotfl: We bought the place so I could have my animals and he could have the barn to finally restore some of the cars we have been accumulating under sheets everywhere. The barn is off limits for development for the next 10 years.
    Small beer.
    Many small beers, accumulated consistently across time, make for a happier outcome :D On a more serious note, I can't help but feel that my lack of financial acumen will hamper us in the future. I don't know what I don't know and that could be making a few percent difference which, over 10-20 years if investing, adds up to a lot for two basic rate tax-payers. I hoping this thread helps me 'sharpen the saw' and find that few extra percent.
    I don't know whether mortgage providers would object to your name being the only one on the mortgage.
    I don't know either but while we need to fix our mortgage deal every 2-3 years (we're only 2 years into a 19 year stretch), they want to take DH's income into account and that may make him retiring and dropping income difficult. It may also affect my ability to save greater amounts for retirement.

There are only so many big things we can do before we start to erode our quality of life.

I work from home in a job with no stress, hardly any meetings and little responsibility. I have complete autonomy as to how I do my job and touch base with my boss once a month. DH and I have discussed me going after a promotion and pay rise, but that will take me out of home, into a car and travelling to see clients as well as managing a team. I settle for doing a little bit of freelance work on the side but not so much I end up working long evenings and weekends or end up in a different tax bracket. DH has been offered promotions before but he is like me and doesn't want the stress. Managers are often moved around different offices at RM so he may end having to commute to an office many miles away from the one he currently works at, which is currently only 7/8 minute drive.

We could - and are - going to screw down our expenses further and up our savings rate. We'll also sell off a couple of the least loved classic cars this year, which will be used to upgrade the house and add to savings.
  • Cottage_Economy
    edited 11 May 2018 at 8:44AM
    Well, I took another look at the funds in my personal pension, thinking maybe I could replace them with something better, but I'm still as happy with them as I was when I first bought them a couple of years ago so that is a no-go.

I transferred £3,000 across to DH's SIPP and I'm just rearranging a few things so I can transfer another £4-5,000. This is part of the lump sum he was given by his mother when she sold her house and moved in with us (the rest is in S&S ISAs). It's been sitting at the bottom of our current account doing nothing. I realised I was clinging onto it out of a sense of security - I liked seeing the numbers in the bank account.

We've been too conservative with the lump sum she gave is, thinking if she became ill and used all of her money the council may demand we repay it, but realistically that may never happen so we've decided to put the money to work for us and cross that bridge when we come to it. She has a lot of her own money that will be used up first so if she became ill tomorrow and needed nursing care it could be 2-3 years before we have that conversation with the council.

Anyway, that's across now. I have also switched the existing Vanguard Lifestrategy fund from 60% to 80%. I have yet to decide whether the new money going in will also go into the 80%, or whether I will buy a different one to give me 70% equities.

Tried to get to grips with RetireEasy last night. Everything is in there, but apparently without tweaking any of the figures we can both retire at 62 and 55 respectively and never run out of money and have an ever-increasing asset base. That's without touching the house or any of our assets, just using the pensions. Yeh right!

Also, I don't really want an ever-increasing asset base. I want to run it down in our lifetime and have a very exotic and expensive funeral at the end :D

It's just not giving me enough information on the income side of things to see how this is done, even on the spreadsheets. I want to see how the income breaks down. It also doesn't allow you to select a month when things will happen, just the year. Maybe the premium account will give me this? Anyway, I'm currently searching for other UK-orientated spreadsheets.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure