We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Crocosmia Lucifer Bulbs/Corms

Options
stokesley
stokesley Posts: 219 Forumite
First Anniversary
I planted these about 6 weeks ago, and no sign of any growth above ground yet.

Do any of you excellent people have any idea when I should start to see signs of life? If it makes any difference, I'm in the tropics of East Anglia.

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm hoping that they will just take a little more time to wake up than those already established in the garden, which should definitely be showing by now.

That's because someone gave me crocosmias in the autumn, which I planted into a couple of large pots and didn't protect beyond placing under a bush. They're not showing yet.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have some that have been in the ground for years. They are only just through the ground.

Your corms will have to develop roots before any top growth so will probably take a bit longer to show.
  • stokesley
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Very many thanks to you both for taking the time and trouble to reply; I shall just have to be patient.:)
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Crocosmia bulbs do take a long time to get going.

If you don't mind paying the extra, you'll be able to buy pots of plants from garden centres in a couple of months or so time.
  • stokesley
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I'm hoping that they will just take a little more time to wake up than those already established in the garden, which should definitely be showing by now.

That's because someone gave me crocosmias in the autumn, which I planted into a couple of large pots and didn't protect beyond placing under a bush. They're not showing yet.

Go outside and have a look at your pots, Dave. I have one (very small) shoot today:T
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    stokesley wrote: »
    Go outside and have a look at your pots, Dave. I have one (very small) shoot today:T
    I have them by the path now, but still nothing.......:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport