Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News

Options

Comments

• N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    Twotone2 wrote: »
    Hi N4t4lie, thanks for this, just checked with M&S bank and we've received a full refund for the entire amount claimed for.

Tony

Good news, glad you got a result. :T :T :T

And well done M&S for processing it so quickly. :T
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    N4t4lie wrote: »
    https://www.goldmedal.co.uk/media/374959/GM-guide-for-agents-and-passengers-UPDATE-26-SEP.pdf

I would contact them first and then take it from there you may still have a holiday if Gold Medal were paid in full by TC before they went under.

You will find even though you booked through Thomas Cook your ATOL will say Gold Medal Travel so you need to contact them first. I am glad to see they have finally got email address to contact customers, the update has been on their website for weeks and they had no way to contact customers.

My ATOL certificate states "TCCT Retail Ltd ATOlL 1179" supplied the holiday, and the email from Gold Medal only mentions the flight part of the trip, not the accommodation.
  • Twotone2
    Twotone2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Good news, glad you got a result. :T :T :T

And well done M&S for processing it so quickly. :T

They processed the refund on 3rd October apparently but trying to access an account online is more difficult than accessing the Pentagon's secure servers, unbelievable really.

I've just tried to re set the security details on my wife's CC account and have given up.

Don't suppose we should complain too much as it's ultra secure but you wonder why they make it so difficult?

Tony
  • N4t4lie
    Options
    bobblebob wrote: »
    My ATOL certificate states "TCCT Retail Ltd ATOlL 1179" supplied the holiday, and the email from Gold Medal only mentions the flight part of the trip, not the accommodation.

OK, two options then:

1) Claim through ATOL and get a full refund (others on here had Gold Medal on their ATOL certificate, so there seems to be no consistency) and the CAA web page lists 1179 as one you can claim through them.

2) Call Gold Medal and see what they say if you'd still like the original holiday. If they can breakdown the cost you may be able to claim for just the accommodation and then book again.

The more I hear on here the more I realise there is no such thing as a straight forward case with anyone who booked with Thomas Cook either directly or indirectly.

The answer to what you do here depends on whether you want a refund or to go on the holiday now.
  • bobblebob
    Options
    OK, two options then:

1) Claim through ATOL and get a full refund (others on here had Gold Medal on their ATOL certificate, so there seems to be no consistency) and the CAA web page lists 1179 as one you can claim through them.

2) Call Gold Medal and see what they say if you'd still like the original holiday. If they can breakdown the cost you may be able to claim for just the accommodation and then book again.

The more I hear on here the more I realise there is no such thing as a straight forward case with anyone who booked with Thomas Cook either directly or indirectly.

The answer to what you do here depends on whether you want a refund or to go on the holiday now.

Well the holiday isnt until June, id rather just get the money i paid back (only deposit) and start again booking it as a complete package, rather than messing around with sorting accommodation out (its a multicity trip so staying in a few different places). Seems Thomas Cook have so many different companies under their umbrella, that no one really knows who actually booked their flights/accommodation

I dont want to contact Gold Medal yet and cancel my flights tho (they say i should if i dont want to travel) as im not sure if this could mess up my ATOL claim. I will make sure they're cancelled as and when i get my money back
  • N4t4lie
    Options
    Twotone2 wrote: »
    They processed the refund on 3rd October apparently but trying to access an account online is more difficult than accessing the Pentagon's secure servers, unbelievable really.

I've just tried to re set the security details on my wife's CC account and have given up.

Don't suppose we should complain too much as it's ultra secure but you wonder why they make it so difficult?

Tony

I found that when I had and M&S credit card too, things so secure you can't access your account, well I suppose it stops the crooks getting in too!

Might have to put up with it till it's sorted though, their customer service was always one of the best and that was about the only issue I had with them. Only got rid of it because I found a better cashback card.

Anyway, we've gone well off topic here. Glad you got a result on you refund.
  • N4t4lie
    Options
    bobblebob wrote: »
    Well the holiday isnt until June, id rather just get the money i paid back (only deposit) and start again booking it as a complete package, rather than messing around with sorting accommodation out (its a multicity trip so staying in a few different places). Seems Thomas Cook have so many different companies under their umbrella, that no one really knows who actually booked their flights/accommodation

I dont want to contact Gold Medal yet and cancel my flights tho (they say i should if i dont want to travel) as im not sure if this could mess up my ATOL claim. I will make sure they're cancelled as and when i get my money back

Gold Medal used to be part of TC and got sold to another company but exclusively supplied TC's long haul scheduled holidays. I am wondering if they still have your reservations and if you pay the rest of the balance to them could still take the holiday as booked with TC? They are trying to minimise their losses maybe? If the deposit was paid to them by TC there is no reason why you could not do this and if they honour the original price you've lost nothing.

If you're set on a refund though, I agree it might be best to do the ATOL claim before cancelling anything.
  • bobblebob
    Options
    Gold Medal used to be part of TC and got sold to another company but exclusively supplied TC's long haul scheduled holidays. I am wondering if they still have your reservations and if you pay the rest of the balance to them could still take the holiday as booked with TC? They are trying to minimise their losses maybe? If the deposit was paid to them by TC there is no reason why you could not do this and if they honour the original price you've lost nothing.

If you're set on a refund though, I agree it might be best to do the ATOL claim before cancelling anything.

Abit late now anyway, i submitted the refund claim yesterday. Seems easier all round just to wash my hands with this booking and start again from scratch. The email today only mentioned the flights part, and said it was a Thomas Cook Signature holiday. Cheers for the help
  • ElaineH
    Options
    Hi there - I am IT literate but still think I may have been duped by a dodgy link somewhere, trawling through Thomas cook refund pages on caa...

Where will I find out if this is genuine. Stupidly filled out the form which asked for bank details, name and address/dob.... along with holiday booking info. Then received this email.

RE: Claim Ref: CAA10017368
    Please quote in all communications
    RE: Failure of Thomas Cook

Dear Elaine H,
    Thank you for entering your details into our online claims system. We are now processing your claim and will contact you in due course if we need further information from you. We are aiming to complete our assessment of your claim within the next 60 days.
    Please note that CEGA is not a subsidiary of the CAA (ATOL Crisis Management), we are working as agents on their behalf, with all claims assessed using their guidance and procedures. Any decision regarding your claim is based upon this guidance.

Kind regards,
    CAA Claims Team

CEGA is part of the Charles Taylor Group: a leading professional services company that has supported clients across the global insurance market since 1884. Today the group employs over 3,100 staff in over 120 locations spread across 30 countries in the UK, the Americas, Asia Pacific, Europe, the Middle East and Africa. This gives CEGA access to worldwide resources and expertise that complement its own extensive global network. This email and any files sent with it are intended only for the named recipient. If you are not the named recipient please telephone/email the sender immediately. You should not disclose the content or take, retain or distribute copies.

Cega Holdings Limited, Registered in England, Registration No. 1117127.
    Cega Group Services Limited, Registered in England, Registration No. 1303318.
    Cega Air Ambulance UK Limited, Registered in England, Registration No. 6702675.
    Registered Office: The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London, EC3R 7AG.
  • N4t4lie
    Options
    ElaineH wrote: »
    Hi there - I am IT literate but still think I may have been duped by a dodgy link somewhere, trawling through Thomas cook refund pages on caa...

Where will I find out if this is genuine. Stupidly filled out the form which asked for bank details, name and address/dob.... along with holiday booking info. Then received this email.

RE: Claim Ref: CAA10017368
    Please quote in all communications
    RE: Failure of Thomas Cook

Dear Elaine H,
    Thank you for entering your details into our online claims system. We are now processing your claim and will contact you in due course if we need further information from you. We are aiming to complete our assessment of your claim within the next 60 days.
    Please note that CEGA is not a subsidiary of the CAA (ATOL Crisis Management), we are working as agents on their behalf, with all claims assessed using their guidance and procedures. Any decision regarding your claim is based upon this guidance.

Kind regards,
    CAA Claims Team

CEGA is part of the Charles Taylor Group: a leading professional services company that has supported clients across the global insurance market since 1884. Today the group employs over 3,100 staff in over 120 locations spread across 30 countries in the UK, the Americas, Asia Pacific, Europe, the Middle East and Africa. This gives CEGA access to worldwide resources and expertise that complement its own extensive global network. This email and any files sent with it are intended only for the named recipient. If you are not the named recipient please telephone/email the sender immediately. You should not disclose the content or take, retain or distribute copies.

Cega Holdings Limited, Registered in England, Registration No. 1117127.
    Cega Group Services Limited, Registered in England, Registration No. 1303318.
    Cega Air Ambulance UK Limited, Registered in England, Registration No. 6702675.
    Registered Office: The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London, EC3R 7AG.

I would start by contacting the bank, letting them know you think you have been scammed and then they can put a hold on any transactions or at least be aware if anyone tries anything. They may even go so far as issuing you with a new account number. It's a minor inconvenience compared to losing money. CALL THEM NOW.

No idea who CEGA are, but it is not the official ATOL site, so still file a claim on there too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure