Great 'What discounts can I get now I'm over 60?' Hunt

Comments

• Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    £829.50 is the cost of NT life membership for an individual aged 60+, whereas under 60s would pay £1,260. Joint memberships also available.

I was looking at annual joint senior memberships there seems to be no such thing in the English National Trust until after you pay 5 years full price, It is currently a joint adult membership at either £83 cash or £63 paying by direct debit.

The National Trust for Scotland has a joint senior membership at £56.50 cash or £42.38 paying by direct debit and given there is a reciprocal agreement you can visit both. Ergo the Scottish National Trust seems the way to go for seniors.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • I have recently taken up Tai Chi at the age of 61 with the benefit of a 50% discount on the annual membership fee of £200, so for £2 a week I can attend as many sessions as I want.

http://www.taoist.org.uk

There are lots of venues all around the country, and so far I am really enjoying it.......... beats jogging lol
  • There is a free magazine for those who stay in Edinburgh or Glasgow called 55 life.

I am also getting some lovely free beauty products from Alba Science, they send you products then you just do a quick survey to let them know your thoughts. Amazing!:o
  • roddycam
    roddycam Posts: 66 Forumite
    gpoher1949 wrote: »
    O60 bus pass is free in Scotland and has unlimited use and mileage as long as u stay within scotland. Also, residents of Fife can travel on train to Edinburgh for 50p ew. Unfortunately, does not apply to edinburgh residents on the opposite direction.

If you live near the English border, as I do, you can use your over 60 pass on journeys to Berwick on Tweed (which is in England) as long as your journey starts or terminates within Scotland. I presume it is the same if you live in Dumfries for example and travel to and from Carlisle.
  • Yogibear
    Yogibear Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    roddycam wrote: »
    If you live near the English border, as I do, you can use your over 60 pass on journeys to Berwick on Tweed (which is in England) as long as your journey starts or terminates within Scotland. I presume it is the same if you live in Dumfries for example and travel to and from Carlisle.
    the over 60s free bus travel in Scotland extends to Berwick and Carlisle,Dumfries is in Scotland so what`s your point?:rotfl:
    please do not pick on me for my grammar,I left school at fifteen and worked in the building trade for 55years ,

Chalk and slate csc:D
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yogibear wrote: »
    the over 60s free bus travel in Scotland extends to Berwick and Carlisle,Dumfries is in Scotland so what`s your point?:rotfl:

Maybe precisely because Dumfries is in Scotland and Carlisle isn't. The journey suggested was between those two locations.
  • sidbee
    sidbee Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,
    various people in this thread have mentioned the Boots Health Club and a discount of 10%. Anyone know if it is still available (to new subscribers)? I've looked at their web site and the only specific benefits for over 60s mentioned are a so-called "More Treats for the over 60s Scheme" that gives 10 Advantage Club points per £ on spending on Boots products - not the same as a 10% discount? Oh, and 25% off spectacles, not 30% any more :(

sid b
    sidbee
  • koala987
    koala987 Posts: 1,336 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    sidbee wrote: »
    Hi,
    various people in this thread have mentioned the Boots Health Club and a discount of 10%. Anyone know if it is still available (to new subscribers)? I've looked at their web site and the only specific benefits for over 60s mentioned are a so-called "More Treats for the over 60s Scheme" that gives 10 Advantage Club points per £ on spending on Boots products - not the same as a 10% discount? Oh, and 25% off spectacles, not 30% any more :(

sid b

This all changed in April and I'm afraid the Boots Health Club is not nearly as good as it was. You get 10 Advantage points per £, not 10% off Boots products. I don't buy as much in Boots now since they stopped the previous scheme.

There is actually an MSE thread on this:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3888013
    Don't wait for the storm to pass
    Learn to dance in the rain
  • sidbee
    sidbee Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    koala987 wrote: »
    There is actually an MSE thread on this:-

Ah thanks. Didn't see that. (your link deleted because, as a Newbie, I'm apparently not allowed to show it ??)

I don't think I will bother with joining their new scheme - don't go to Boots much anyway, but might have done if I had got 10% off! Their loss.

sid b
    sidbee
  • J_&_J wrote: »
    According to Working Lunch and the featured directgov website if your 60th Birthday falls after 6th April 2010 you will have to wait until your 'normal' pension age to get this benefit. The eligible date appears to follow the same staggered calculations as the incremental dates which change the women's pension age from 60 to 65. This applies to both men and women for the pass.:mad:

If you live in the Merseyside area, you can still get your local bus and train pass at 60. The 'new' age for the national bus pass still applies.
    I am not sure if any other area transport authorities are funding the passes for over 60's, but it would be interesting to find out.
    Regards,

Birkonian
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport