Hotpoint urgent tumble dryer recall

Comments

• I ended up guessing the year, as I didn't have time to trawl through piles of paperwork. I did ring the helpline, but they just fill in the forms for those without Internet access and they also guess the year when it isn't known. The chap on the helpline told me that although people will get a confirmation email, it will be about five weeks before anyone receives a phone call to arrange a callout.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    priorslee wrote: »
    As your purchase is so recent, there's a good chance you could get a full refund. Quoting from the MSE guide on returning faulty goods:
    Within a month – return faulty goods for a full refund. If goods are faulty, whether bought in-store or online, you are entitled to a full refund provided you haven’t ‘accepted them’. In a nutshell, this means you have had time to inspect the goods and reject them.

How long this takes depends on the goods – after all, fully inspecting a brand new £3 million pound yacht may take longer than a 10p plastic whistle. However, as a very rough rule of thumb, ensure you get things back in under a month if you want a refund (the Government is proposing to clarify this rule to give a fixed 30 days to reject everything but perishable goods).
    That blog you are quoting from is now over two years old. ;)

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 came into effect on 1st October 2015, and that did indeed introduce the 'fixed 30 days to reject everything but perishable goods' rule.

Blogs do get out of date - perhaps it would've been better to quote from MSE's Consumer Rights Guide which is updated as things change:
    Get a full refund within 30 days

This is a nice new addition to our statutory rights. The Consumer Rights Act 2015 changed our right to reject something faulty, and be entitled to a full refund in most cases, from a reasonable time to a fixed period (in most cases) of 30 days. After that, you lose the short-term right to reject the goods and you'll have fewer rights, such as only being able to ask for a repair or replacement, or a partial refund if this doesn’t work.
  • carla40
    carla40 Posts: 1,187 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mine is also affected, and had to guess the year
    wins so far:- absolutely nothing, not even an arguement:mad:
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm not sure where anyone would stand with the 30 days for refunds for faults, only because not every machine is actually faulty they are just retrofitting a part to every possible machine to prevent a possible fault from occurring which can cause a safety issue. As this recall dates back to 2004 many people would have been safely using the machines for 11 years without any issues and without any fault being apparent.
  • JG1971
    JG1971 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Our Indesit dryer is affected, just waiting for the call-back from them.
    The other issue I have is that we previously had a Hotpoint version of the same dryer, but it started making a burning smell after a couple of years so we replaced it with the Indesit.
    I have no proof of purchase for the hotpoint (it was approx 5 years ago) but i did register it with hotpoint for the warranty - so they should have a record of it.
    I've emailed them but with the dryer now long-gone i doubt i'll get any response from them.
  • Mine has been affected by this and actually caught fire whilst the hotpoint engineer was here fixing it for another problem ! He hadn't been very well trained as he panicked and threw a mug of water over an electrical fire !!!!! Uv tried complaining to hotpoint but they are not helpful and I can not get through to anyone sensible there !!! After the engineer caught light to the machine 2 weeks ago and threw water over it he said he was coming back the next week to fit parts !!!! Needless to say he did not turn up . Hotpoint really need to get thee act together the customer service is non existent !!!
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    I'm not sure where anyone would stand with the 30 days for refunds for faults, only because not every machine is actually faulty they are just retrofitting a part to every possible machine to prevent a possible fault from occurring which can cause a safety issue. As this recall dates back to 2004 many people would have been safely using the machines for 11 years without any issues and without any fault being apparent.

It will all come down to whether that would make the average person deem the goods not of satisfactory quality - which covers defects, fitness for purpose, durability and also safety.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    JG1971 wrote: »
    The other issue I have is that we previously had a Hotpoint version of the same dryer, but it started making a burning smell after a couple of years so we replaced it with the Indesit.
    I have no proof of purchase for the hotpoint (it was approx 5 years ago) but i did register it with hotpoint for the warranty - so they should have a record of it.
    I've emailed them but with the dryer now long-gone i doubt i'll get any response from them.

What action are you expecting from Indesit/Hotpoint in respect of your old Hotpoint dryer?

As you no longer have the dryer, they are unable to inspect it for evidence of malfunctioning.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • My machine is also one of those affected annoying because I've only used it twice. I bought it in December 2014 so the machine is still in the warrantee period.

Am I entitled to get a full refund rather than accept a repair or replacement? What can I do in this situation?

If so, who should I contact, I've spent a hour waiting to speak to Argos who tell me to go to Hotpoint who say Indesit who tell me to go to... you get the picture. I just keep being told ' the units are being repaired, we will contact you to arrange an engineer..." nobody is giving me the option to get a refund or a replacement machine. Who should I contact if this is correct, or should I speak to my bank as I paid by credit card?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 25 November 2015 at 11:02PM
    cathyd93 wrote: »
    My machine is also one of those affected annoying because I've only used it twice. I bought it in December 2014 so the machine is still in the warrantee period.

Am I entitled to get a full refund rather than accept a repair or replacement? What can I do in this situation?

If so, who should I contact, I've spent a hour waiting to speak to Argos who tell me to go to Hotpoint who say Indesit who tell me to go to... you get the picture. I just keep being told ' the units are being repaired, we will contact you to arrange an engineer..." nobody is giving me the option to get a refund or a replacement machine. Who should I contact if this is correct, or should I speak to my bank as I paid by credit card?
    You are not entitled to a refund or a replacement.
    A repair is a perfectly acceptable remedy.
    Even if a refund were appropriate, that could be reduced to take account of the nearly one year's use you have had.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure