Problem with Hermes Delivery Services

Comments

• Haven't posted for a while on this thread as you can see! Been away for internet for a bit.
    Anyhow, we finally recieved the Wii, EIGHT weeks later than the original supposed delivery date. The main thing is that it actually turned up, but still eight weekd is taking the mickey a bit!
    We did lodge a complaint, never heard anything back. We did get that £10 as I earlier stated but that was all. Better than a kick in the wotsits but an apology would have been nice!?
    FrAnthony - what you said about the rude unshaven child in the van - we got that too in terms of delivery driver only a female version - when we finally did get the delivery, they literally chucked the box at us! Manners don't cost anything but it seems a lot of people forget it these days....
    I too will be never using Hermes again, and have not ordered from Grattan since.
    Have been told though by another delivery driver from Hermes (she is one of the rare nice, good mannered ones); that the girl with the attitude is actually under investigation as it was not only our Wii that went missing, but other people's items too, all expensive purchases; on days when they were out on her delivery vehicle. But that is only hear-say so who knows. If that is the case, and she has been pilfering stuff, then I hope justice is done!
    Wins 2013: Stella Cidre Chalice, Pack of Berol fabric pens, Comfort Umbrella, £50 cash, Warburtons brad and picnic hamper :j
  • HERMES COURIER SERVICE IS A VERY DIFFICULT COMPANY TO CONTACT.
    Their couriers work from home, self employed..;). They collect parcels from a local depot each morning and each courier has their own area round to deliver to. The majority of items are from online shopping companies such as QVC, Gratton, Freeman, Next, M&M, Daxon, Damart, JD.Williams, Look Again, Etc. also they collect returns from customers and now for Ebay.
    Each courier gets paid a different rate depending upon their area but most get only 45p per item or 65p per item delivered. Town centre and rural rates may vary a bit higher and collections are normally 50p. They also deliver catalogues and get paid 30p each. All couriers have to provide their own transport to deliver with and pay for the petrol. They do not have a telephone or get any telephone or other expences.:confused:

Any customer who is not in can have their item left in a safe place if they inform the company to leave instructions to the courier. Or if the item is not required to be signed for, the courier may leave it in a garage, shed or similar 'safe' place and put a calling card through the customers door.

When a customer is not home to receive the item and there is no suitable 'safe place', the courier will leave a card to say when they will call again, up to 3 times (unlike other delivery companies). The calling card will usually have the couriers telephone number on if the customer needs to inform the courier where to leave the item if they are not going to be home.:money:
    The courier only gets paid for a delivery, they do not get paid to leave calling cards.:o So if a customer has not bothered to make contact after the courier has left 2 cards, it can be expected that the courier will feel that the customer isn't interested.:p If a courier has to call 3 times to deliver, the 45p payment will work out at only 15p per visit :mad: (not enough to cover the petrol costs involved). If a customer leaves a message asking the courier to ring them on a mobile number, the courier would actually be making a loss on that delivery.

HERMES may think that they are offering a good service to their customers, but it is at the expence of the courier who has to stand all the costs. Maybe then that could be why some parcels go missing from time to time?:rolleyes: Staff would be more inclined to be loyal if the company were loyal to the staff and were supportive.

With regards to a courier leaving a calling card and then not calling back or denying ever having called to start with, it is very doubtfull as they wouldn't have put a card through at the start. They would not have called unless the package had been manifested to the courier in the morning at the depot. And now all couriers have a hand held scanner to which they scan each parcel in a morning and this tracks where every parcel is at any time to the point of delivery.

HERMES are very secretive :cool: in that even couriers do not have a number to complain to. They have a field manager :o who works from home just like the courier and they are the go between. The courier cannot speak to the head office (is there one?:confused:) but there is a couriers helpdesk (maybe someone on a computer working from home? Who knows?) That number is 0800 174 904 ext7.:T
    Good luck to anyone wanting to work there.:rotfl:. its only any good as a part time job or as extra income as you will be lucky to clear £100 a wek for 6 days after your petrol & running costs are taken off. :eek: You will certainly not get job satisfaction as Hermes are always introducing new money saving ideas such as lowering the delivery rates.
  • I work as a hermes courier with my dad on saturdays as a cover driver. we have problems with various issues regarding the system. The worst one is when the end customer gets stuff delivered to work places when those sending the parcels don't realise that they are shut on Saturdays the worst type are solicitors and accountancy firms. Usually we get regular customers so we know where we can leave things (ie Outhouses, Sheds, Wheelie bins (usually the Green one) etc) and unless all else fails we leave with a neighbour. a couple of the Sending companies are a pain in the Harris as well sending stuff out that customers havn't ordered mainly Reader's Digest and Book Club:mad: they don't seem to realise how embarrassing it is to us to turn up with a parcel and get "We havn't ordered anything please take it back":embarasse. There are some perks to the job too Saturday mornings are fun Young ladies answering the door in Dressing gowns or less usually brings a smile to one's face:D:T. But in the main it is rare we get any complaints.
  • Yesterday I recieved a card through the door from Hermes stating a parcel had been left at my back door - this is odd for three reasons:

1) I had not ordered anything
    2) I live in a terraced house and the back door is not accessable unless you climb over the garden fences or go through the garage which was locked.
    3) There was no parcel to be found anywhere.

I emailed hermes explaining what had happened - they very heplfully appologised and told me to contact the company I orderd from (except I havent ordered anything).

What could be going on? Its all very strange.
  • vicko_3
    vicko_3 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 13 October 2009 at 3:20PM
    We ordered two items on two separate occations from the next directory the first item was a ps3 console and the other a ipod the ipod was sent back as no longer wanted it and the ps3 console was sent back because it just kept spinning discs so there for faulty so i arranged returns wit next on both occations and there courier came and lifted them from me.
    Ordered another ps3 and all was fine.
    However two months down the line either of the parcels have arrived back to next and they have asked for my proof of returns so i sent in the originals and kept photo copy's. They finally credited our account with the items but a few days later took our credit limit down from nearly 4,000 to 0.00 I emailed them and asked why and got a reply to say we moniter all credit limits on a monthly basis and credit limits can be increased or decreased at any time to offer you the best credit facility. I thought ok no bother as it did not annoy us we did not order all the time and when we did it was items like a 300 pounds console table paid for sony home theatre kit 275 paid for a condenser dryer 250 pounds paid for standard lamp 80 pounds paid for. So we never really sent any thing back other than these two items.
    I rang the courier and informed them and gave both parcel receipt numbers he told me do not worry both parcles where scanned into our depot and will be dispached to the the company soon and to hang onto my receipts.
    But the parcles never arrived back to next.
    We received a letter from next to say no more items will be dispatched and to contact them right away so we did and where told because of items that had gone missing they were closing the account after balance of 36 pounds was paid i replied this was not our fault and to contact the courier and they said they did and they cannot be found i replied fine ok.:mad:
    But it's not our fault we have signed dated receipts for both returns and they were scanned into there depot now all of a sudden there lost.
    I have read up about this courier service and it seems i am not alone with items going missing.
    My real question is can they do anything to us?
    Thx:rotfl:
  • hi all i work for hermes as a self enpolyed driver and i mke a profit of 300 pound a week and only do a maxium of 6 hours a day so people saying about they are not good to work for should think twice now to the people about missing parcels every parcel is now scanned from the company to use then scanned again to come to you so they are record all the way if your cataluge company cant tell you were a parcel is then it is them that have not done there job right in the first place as i said earlyer every think is scanned so there is no way parcels can go missing so that i seem to be going on that we get the blame we have been so much bizyer with lots of new clients so personally i think we must be doing are job right thanks
  • Amistoso_2
    Amistoso_2 Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    my Hermes delivery agents are fab... but then again I see them across the road at the pub most weekends!! I live in a small village and everyone knows everyone. They know where to put stuff if I'm not at home and always have a smile. So although I sympathise with those of you who have had problems (and there does seem like a few) they arn't all bad
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    It does depend very much on the local courier. Our local courier recently retired and his replacement is a bit of a nightmare.
  • I'm glad I'm not the only poor sod having problems with these cowboys!

Over a week ago I ordered a book from The Book People for my young nephew's birthday (which is today).

The Book People duly sent the item the next day via Hermes where it has been sitting in their depot for a whole week! Having checked their rather poor online tracking service every day since, it has apparently been 'Out For Delivery' every day for 4 days yet still no sign of it!

They are very difficult to get hold of and tell me that the problem lies with TBP, even though the parcel is clearly in the hands of Herpes (sorry, Hermes!).

I am tempted to contact BBC Watchdog about this as with the current Royal Mail problems, private courier companies should be eager for the business.

Incidentally, this week I ordered a DVD from Amazon, it was delivered by Royal Mail in 2 days!

Please, please, if you are considering using Hermes, avoid them like a case of Herpes!
  • Update to my previous post:

I have been in contact with Hermes who have told me that the guy masquerading as a courier has attempted three deliveries this week and has left a card each time.

Now, I'm off sick at the moment and haven't left my home for over a week. Guess what? No attempted deliveries and certainly no cards left!!

Unbelievable.

If you order goods from The Book People, you can request that your order is sent via a different courier.

Request that they and other mail order companies do not use Hermes, eventually they will have no option but to dump them!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure