Chip 'n' Pin - A Quick Guide Discussion Area

Comments

• catch22
    catch22 Posts: 540
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've been living in norway for the past seven years and i'd have too say the banking system seems to be so far in advance of Britain's.

A)Chip 'n' Pin has always been the norm during that time.

B)One's picture is on the back of one's bank card.
    catch22
  • Trix
    Trix Posts: 10,266
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My dad got a credit card with a photograph on the back -only it wasn't of HIM, it was of some other guy who looked nothing like him :-/

He actually still used it in 4 shops - even pointing out that it wasn't a picture of him because of a mistake by the bank and EVERY ONE just said - oh , that's daft isn't it..........then put through the sale!

Some credit card safety huh?
    I'm a little angel o:)BUT A WHOLE LOTTA DEVIL
    'Spend your life with eyes open, sleep only to dream of what to do next'
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    My dad got a credit card with a photograph on the back -only it wasn't of HIM, it was of some other guy who looked nothing like him :-/

He actually still used it in 4 shops - even pointing out that it wasn't a picture of him because of a mistake by the bank and EVERY ONE just said - oh , that's daft isn't it..........then put through the sale!

Some credit card safety huh?
    This doesn't gave you much faith in the safety of the card does it ???Unbelievable :-/
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Money Saving Expert
    Lady K. There is no change to the debit and credit cards - they'll still work the same way - with the same charges as always - so your debit card will be exactly the same. All thats really changing is instead of signing you need to put in a pin code. The reason for my note about charging is that until now most of us didnt know our credit card pin numbers, but after chip'n'pin we'll have to.

As for this 'do i have to use a pin question'

If you've a C&P card and they've a C&P reader you'll be expected to put your pin in. The retailer can override this and probably will until Jan next year. Then the legal liability changes and they'll probably say - either pin it or pin off!
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • david78
    david78 Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    My local ASDA store has the keypads in store. But they are in a fixed position, and can only be entered by the till operatives? I will have to do it "upside down"

I am a bit concerned that the till operators will learn my pin number. Can I legitimately throw a bag over his/her head to stop him/her from viewing my number?
  • VelvetGlove
    VelvetGlove Posts: 12,008
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have to say that I'm all for Chip & PIN coming in & can't wait! I do work for a bank & it is so amazingly frustrating that when I go into a shop & pay using my plastic sometimes my card is handed back even before I've signed! Sometimes they look at the signature on the receipt, without having even looked at the card signature strip, then hand the card back. There are only a few places where you can see they do actually check the signature so all ahead full I say & it will reduce the amount of fraud!

I recently received my new Chip & Pin card, tried to use it in The Netherlands when I popped over to see my boyfriend & it didn't work :( NL have had Pin cards for ages & when he uses his card he usually swipes it through the reader then the amount pops up on his display to check & he enters his pin.

Hi, what if someone behind you at the check-out makes a note of your pin as you key it in?

This would be very hard as the keypads I have seen have the top & sides shielded with raised edges. They will be more secure than when you are typing your pin into a cash machine :) If someone is standing very close & making you feel uncomfortable about typing your number in then just ask them if they wouldn't mind stepping back so you can enter your pin.
    My local ASDA store has the keypads in store. But they are in a fixed position, and can only be entered by the till operatives? I will have to do it "upside down"

I am a bit concerned that the till operators will learn my pin number. Can I legitimately throw a bag over his/her head to stop him/her from viewing my number?

I think the keypads you may have seen are the cashier ones. From what I have seen the cashier has to type the amount into a unit on their side of the desk & then it would feed through to the customer unit. This may be tied into till systems by the more tech-savvy companies). Once chip & pin comes in there will be a keypad which is customer facing (probably with a lead so it can move slightly but not miles!), so you will not have to be double jointed to key your pin in.

It almost goes without saying though, that you NEVER allow someone else to key in your pin, you would also NEVER tell anyone what your pin is. Your bank will not ask for this under any circumstances as they have other ways to identify customers. Bank staff do not have access to your pin to confirm it is you & so there is no reason why they would ask for it :)

Hope that helps to set a few minds at rest :)
    Sad because you don't know what to do? :sad: Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out :smiley:
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,955
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I welcome the C&P. I actually suggested this to Barclaycard in the mid 80's and only now is it being adopted here.

What about using a credit card online? I take it we will continue to enter the 3 digit security number on the back of the card and won't be required to enter the pin number too?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    sorry VelvetGlove but all the c&p machines i've seen at all my local stores, have the keypads positioned in such a way that it would be ideal for the criminal in the queue behind you to see what you entered.
    as for being safer than a cash machine, rubbish! i make a point of always using locations with more than one dispenser so that a queue forms and people stand back from the machines.
    at the moment, i mostly use a Royal Bank of Scotland switch card for my shopping transactions. RBS gave me the choice a number of years ago to have my picture on my card, it's only b&w and not that good for id purposes but i'd certainly feel happier if card issuers had gone along that road. after all, this would tie in rather nicely to all the cctv camera's.
    or is chip and pin more to do with shifting the blame than actually stopping card fraud?
  • Tony_H_3
    Tony_H_3 Posts: 2,643
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I am reluctant to change to chip & pin.... :'( I spent a small fortune on a very funky pocket pen, just for signing my name!! ::) If I am forced to go chip & pin will I be able to sue as my pocket pen will be of no use anymore >:(

Call me weird, but I have made the transistion to Titanium. What a gorgeous alloy it is? If not a little pricey!! ::)
  • What is the point of going to all the expense with implementing chip and pin?

Most credit card fraud occurs with online purchases or telephone/mail order. The pin number won't be applicable in these situations.

So who are we protecting here?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport