PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

End of tenancy and garden

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    clear it one day and its back the next

Of course it isn't, so as elsien has said, just strim it down the day before you go.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    How do people on your street deal with it? It will be harder to manage if you haven't kept good maintenance of the garden. That was your choice as you were not required to do so, but ultimately, if the garden then doesn't look as it was when you moved, you can expect that they will request money from your deposit to put right.

Saying that you only have 3 days to do it right is not an excuse. As for concern that things will grow back (I doubt it will do so in 3 days), but just in case, take pictures on your last day with the date on them.
  • FBaby wrote: »
    How do people on your street deal with it? It will be harder to manage if you haven't kept good maintenance of the garden. That was your choice as you were not required to do so, but ultimately, if the garden then doesn't look as it was when you moved, you can expect that they will request money from your deposit to put right.

Saying that you only have 3 days to do it right is not an excuse. As for concern that things will grow back (I doubt it will do so in 3 days), but just in case, take pictures on your last day with the date on them.

It will grow back in 3 days unfortunately. Not the bits pulled, but new shoots will be showing.

It is fast growing, rampant and very difficult to eradicate.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,170 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 July 2018 at 11:28AM
    Don't bother with the weedkiller - it won't work. Marestail has a tough outer coating that will not soak up the weedkiller. Pull it by hand that is really all you can do.

The damn plant is prehistoric and really hard to get rid off. I have been eradicating it from my garden since 2005 (by pulling / digging-up). I reckon another few years and it will almost be gone. The roots go down very far.

I can vouch for this, now having looked up images just now, I used weedkiller, killed some other randoms, but these remained fully green and I was like :eek: so what the hell is it. Only appeared this year.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I'd definitely try to make the argument that the mares tail must have been present when you moved in even if it wasn't showing (what time of year was it?). There's no point in trying to do any short term action, it'll have little or no impact. It's a long term job to get rid of it, and even then there's no guarantee of success. The chemicals that might have been a bit quicker have pretty much all been banned, certainly for domestic use, and most of them for professional use too. I'm in a multi-year fight with it using glyphosphate several times a year.
  • cjdavies wrote: »
    I can vouch for this, now having looked up images just now, I used weedkiller, killed some other randoms, but these remained fully green and I was like :eek: so what the hell is it. Only appeared this year.

Want to be even more :eek:?

Find one of the plants in its fern like form.

Pull the plant in half. So, leave the root and bottom section in the ground and pull off some of the top growth.

Look at the bit you pulled off. It will have a 'spike' sticking out of the bottom. The plant left in the ground will have a hole. Connect the section you pulled off back into the main plant. The plant will now look as it did before you pulled it apart - and it will happily keep growing too.

For this reason the plant is known as the LEGO plant.

OP - pull by hand and then take a dated photo as suggested.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Keep anything herbivorous away from it! Nasty stuff.

Digging it out must be a hell of a job, apparently the roots go down five feet!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Thanks.

I don't like using chemicals, but in desperation a few years ago I tried Kurtail - it didn't really work :(.

Consistently pulling by hand has been the best method (but it has taken years).
    Kurtail is best used with an adjuvant in a knapsack sprayer and more than one treatment is probably the norm. Apparently, many people do find it works.

I'm light touch. I don't have mares tail but I have bracken, which I treat every 3 years. Don't look to eradicate, just control; after all, something must like bracken!:rotfl:
  • Wondering how much of it there is?

Of course a different bet if the whole garden is riddled with it. But I panicked when I spotted a mini clump of it growing here a while after I got the house and darn stuff was awkward location too (ie in a crack in the cracked concrete path). I did manage to get rid of that some months back by trimming it down absolutely to the millimeter as close as I could get to the ground, then repeatedly pouring boiling hot water over it and then covering that bit of ground up for months.

I've taken the "cover" off recently and - touch wood - there's only "ordinary" weeds growing there now. Whew!
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    For every bit of Mare's Tail you break off, it will bush out and send multiple 'branches' up making it look even bigger!

Leave well alone and see what your LL says. If they complain, ask them for photos of the garden without it.......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure