Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    On the positive, the Lidl version of chocolate hobnobs is just the ticket with a mug of tea as the nights draw in...
    Scritti wrote: »
    Yes, the Lidl Chocolate Oaties (HobNobs) are absolutely lush. I honestly can't tell the difference between them and the McVities ones. And about half the price. Yum!
    Aldi has come up with its own version too, I note. 55p vs 59p (Lidl) vs 60p (Tesco).

I haven’t done a head to head taste test but I seem to remember not being able to stop eating the Lidl ones. I stopped eating the Aldi ones after the fifth biscuit in a row :D. The Tesco ones remain untasted, it’s for emergencies only :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Are the bigger Aldi's stores actually any better (not near one)? When I went to a new bigger Lidl's when opened in neighbouring town it was classy looking but literally no new products same old of everything doubled basically - seemed a bit pointless.
    PK! :money:
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What seems to happen at Aldi is some food specials seem to become regular stock, i.e. Coffee capsules. So better might be products that you bought elsewhere being stocked at Aldi or Lidl.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    candygirl wrote: »
    I got a gorg Feta, spinach n pine nut pie from Aldi yesterday. It was lush :p

I bought one of these after seeing your comment....agree, totally delish! However, I'm a bit confused as to if they are supposed to serve one or two people? I scoffed a whole one myself but as they are really rich i felt a bit icky afterwards. They seem a bit small to be enough for two tho???!!

Does anyone else get really annoyed with the way Aldi have mixed trays of produce containing several varieties of a product meaning you frequently have to rifle through several boxes to find the one you require? The only f, s & p pie was right at the back of the bottom box of a stack of four! The flavoured water stacks are another PITB for me as I struggle to get the only visible elderflower flavoured water out from all the peach (yuk) ones. :(
  • glensmen
    glensmen Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have both Aldi & Lidl stopped selling the 65p packs of gnocchi / tortelloni?
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Mir! wrote: »
    I bought one of these after seeing your comment....agree, totally delish! However, I'm a bit confused as to if they are supposed to serve one or two people? I scoffed a whole one myself but as they are really rich i felt a bit icky afterwards. They seem a bit small to be enough for two tho???!!

Does anyone else get really annoyed with the way Aldi have mixed trays of produce containing several varieties of a product meaning you frequently have to rifle through several boxes to find the one you require? The only f, s & p pie was right at the back of the bottom box of a stack of four! The flavoured water stacks are another PITB for me as I struggle to get the only visible elderflower flavoured water out from all the peach (yuk) ones. :(

I ate one to myself, as agree they are waaay too small for two people :rotfl: Looked at the cals on the box after n nearly died :eek:
    Tried the lavender, plug in air freshener this week, and am pleasantly surprised at the subtle smell. I usually hate plug ins, as they're too strong for me 😁
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    candygirl wrote: »
    I ate one to myself, as agree they are waaay too small for two people :rotfl: Looked at the cals on the box after n nearly died :eek:
    Tried the lavender, plug in air freshener this week, and am pleasantly surprised at the subtle smell. I usually hate plug ins, as they're too strong for me 😁

Cor blimey.....787 kcal per pie :eek: It'll deffo be half a pie from now on - with a shedload of salad!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Mir! wrote: »
    Does anyone else get really annoyed with the way Aldi have mixed trays of produce containing several varieties of a product meaning you frequently have to rifle through several boxes to find the one you require? :(

Definitely. I think it's something to do with it being easier/cheaper for them to do it that way. I frequently end up tidying the trays of cottage cheese while I'm searching through for the natural flavour. What's not just irritating but positively dangerous is the way the mixers are ...mixed!;) The slimline tonic goes long before the full fat or the soda water so people are straining themselves to lift the top layer up and making the fixture unstable by prising them out from underneath. I always call an assistant to help me. They do it willingly and invariably tell me that it keeps happening!:mad:

Are the bigger Aldi's stores actually any better (not near one)? When I went to a new bigger Lidl's when opened in neighbouring town it was classy looking but literally no new products same old of everything doubled basically - seemed a bit pointless.

I think that's the point. They want classy looking shops to keep attracting new customers from different social groupings. They've already increased the product range and, no doubt, that will continue.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    glensmen wrote: »
    Have both Aldi & Lidl stopped selling the 65p packs of gnocchi / tortelloni?

No, I bought gnocchi recently.
  • Used to love Aldi's version of cheesy pasta as it tasted exactly like the kraft one. Was in the other week and I noticed the box was a different colour - ok I thought they've maybe just changed the packaging. Nope. The cheese sauce powder was white not orange and the finish item was disgusting. So won't be buying it again.
    On another note their honey clusters however are better than the leading brand.
    Big thumbs up for Lidls multipack crisps £1.92 for 24 (looks like walkers bag) they're bursting with flavour.
    I've also been buying Aldi's diluting juice as it's lovely even their summer fruits.
    My eldest seems to like their yoghurt chocolate bars - better than the nesquik ones apparently!
    I'm so happy with the majority from these two stores I've managed to reduce my weekly food shop for a family of 4 from around £80 to £35 :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure