IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Letter before claim from solicitor

Options

Comments

• Plastic18
    Plastic18 Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, I have learned quite a bit in the last few months but the letter sent to me by Tim Hawker with the Wright Hassall letterhead did state "Formal Letter of Claim" and underlined! Not sure if he's representing ZZPS, CEL or WH?!

I did read about the case in which the judge sided with the motorist. So, I just wonder if I should reply and tell them that or ignore this 'formal letter of claim' until they send me a CCJ, as they keep bloody threatening. Can this be harassment?!?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    the letter sent to me by Tim Hawker with the Wright Hassall letterhead did state "Formal Letter of Claim"
    Well of course it does, because it's a letter claiming money from you - a letter of claim.

It is not a Letter Before Claim, also known as Letter Before County Court Claim. Subtle difference?

To my knowledge, Wright Hassall have never 'fronted' a court claim for a PPC (as Gladstones, BW Legal and SCS Law have).
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Emja3
    Options
    Hi Plastic 18,
    I know it has been quite some time since your last post but I was wondering if you have received any more correspondence from WH? I am going through the same thing and would like to know if they really are just full of empty threats. Thanks in advance.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Emja3 wrote: »
    Hi Plastic 18,
    I know it has been quite some time since your last post but I was wondering if you have received any more correspondence from WH? I am going through the same thing and would like to know if they really are just full of empty threats. Thanks in advance.

This is one of hundreds of threads about WH, and the likelihood of court depends upon the Private Parking Company (PPC) not WH.

The NEWBIES thread at the top of this board is the one you need to read, post #1, #2 and #4 of it. Even tells you how to find out the likelihood of court claims from a named PPC.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Plastic18
    Options
    Hi EmJa,

I'm sorry to hear you're going through the same thing. I haven't heard anything more from either the PPC nor WH since my last post. I hope they've given up for good. I must say, this is a brilliant site for advice and support. Everyone has been great and non-judgemental here. Keep it up and hope you'll be fine too.
  • Plastic18
    Options
    Hi CouponMad,

I was trying to get in touch via the other site, but your inbox was full. Wondered if I could get your advice about something?
  • Plastic18
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I've just received another letter from Civil Enforcement Ltd, to my old address in another city. I have since moved in 2016, and also since my last posts, I thought haven't heard from them. And now they have sent me a letter about the same PCN, stating Pre Action Conduct and Protocol. The original PCN was issued in September 2016!

They are saying I have 30 days to respond before issuing proceedings with County Court.

Any advice what I should do? It's been so long and last year I replied asking for photographic proof that my vehicle was parked without a valid ticket at the time the PCN was issued, but they refused to provide one and maintained all evidence was there.

Please help.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to respond robustly to that Letter Before Claim.

All the guidance you need on how to do that is in post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread.

I've not read back through all the thread, but if you have not done so already you need to write to CEL stating that your current address for service is errr... your current address.
    Ensure you get a free Certificate of Posting from the Post Office counter when you send that letter by ordinary first class post. Do not use Recorded Delivery or any other service requiring a signature.
  • Plastic18
    Options
    Is pre Action conduct and protocol same as 'letter before claim'? this letter came from CEL 'legal department' and there's no name under the signed letter, just stated on behalf of CEL. Even the signature looks dodgy.

I wonder if they are trying to recoup every new financial year?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Did you even read what I wrote?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts