Fundsmith 2018 ASM

1235»

Comments

• a better argument that compares woodford to fundsmith is: a few years ago, "everybody" throught woodford was a genius, and now "everybody" thinks he's a total duffer. how can you tell the same thing won't happen to fundsmith?

(spoiler: you can't.)
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

Agree, but comparing apples to oranges. Woodford uses unquoted growth stuff and biotech, Fundsmith concentrates on big companies you can research yourself and agree or disagree with his choices.
  • Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    a better argument that compares woodford to fundsmith is: a few years ago, "everybody" throught woodford was a genius, and now "everybody" thinks he's a total duffer. how can you tell the same thing won't happen to fundsmith?

I can't speak for 'everybody' but around 3.5 years ago I looked at the Woodford fund, which at the time was doing pretty well still, researched his approach and came to the conclusion I didn't like it at all. I certainly didn't really like any of the companies that the fund was currently invested in and dismissed it. I looked at Fundsmith, did similar research and thought 'that makes complate sense'. Don't pick cyclical stocks. Use stats to identify the best companies, and buy them.

Woodford's style is very hard to do well with - you need to be lucky. Trying to constantly pick under valued stocks that will recover (before picking the next one) is going to be hard. If you watch his videos he spends much of the time predicting the surge of the UK stock market.

Fundsmith is a much easier model and when it eventually unperforms I can't imagine it will do so by much, considering the quality of companies in the fund. I am confident it won't go the same way as Woodford. The fund will underperform when the companies in it do.
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,821 Forumite
    Agreed, Prism. I didn't give Woodford more than a cursory glance when I started DIYing a couple of years ago, but from what I understand the investment approach which made him a star is very different from the one which he's unsuccessfully followed since going it alone.

I've been mulling over your post #36 because it's been an issue on my mind the last couple of weeks since I've been considering buying Smithson when I already hold Fundsmith, LTUK and Jupiter European. I'm going to challenge your analysis of Fundsmith as part value, part growth and part blend, because Terry buys for growth and not value; if they were cheap when he bought them (or are cheap now) that's coincidence/good fortune - it's not the strategy. So here's one way to cut it: 60% growth, 20% value, 20% smaller companies. That provides some decent diversification and avoids overplaying the Smith et al style. Then you just have to work around how to integrate Smithson!
  • short_butt_sweet
    short_butt_sweet Posts: 333 Forumite
    edited 19 March 2019 at 10:11PM
    that an investment strategy feels plausible to you isn't a very good argument that it will do well in the long run. all strategies feel plausible to somebody: that's why somebody decided to run with them.

for one thing: do you think that's a method which anybody could use to pick a good investment strategy, or do you think you have more skill at evaluating investment strategies than the average person? if the latter, do you also think you're a better than average driver? :) (it working out for the first 3.5 years is nice for you, but very little evidence by itself.)

i certainly don't agree that fundsmith's model is easy. in fact, i'm much nearer to being persuaded that it will continue to be a successful strategy than that it's an easy strategy to follow. IMHO, presenting it as common sense, when it's a lot more complicated than that, is very much part of terry smith's sale technique for his fund(s).

the biggest difficulty is in trying to know which are the high-quality companies, which will grow earnings faster than average, and more consistently than average, over the long term. e.g. i notice fundsmith now holds facebook; will it be the next myspace or the next, er, facebook?

and many companies have high earnings growth for a decade or two, but not forever. smith likes making the (mathematically correct) point that, provided earnings growth is high enough over a long enough period, it doesn't matter if you pay a somewhat high valuation (P/E ratio) for a share. but it will matter if the exceptional earnings growth comes down to earth too soon, and so does the valuation.

and even if you succeed in identifying the quality companies, and even if they retain that status, you have some issues with high valuations. if they go crazily high, it will not be worth buying/holding despite the quality. will you be tempted into cash or lower quality companies instead?

but, going back to the idea of holding a fund whose strategy you are very convinced by ... whether or not you're correct to be convinced, this does have the advantage that hopefully you won't abandon it in times of underperformance. all strategies have bad patches, and if an investor abandons strategies in their bad patches, the investor is almost guaranteed to have poor long-term performance, whether or not the strategies they follow (from time to time) do.
  • How does LTGE strategy differ to Fundsmith or is it similar?
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,821 Forumite
    How does LTGE strategy differ to Fundsmith or is it similar?
    Mostly similar, partly different. They take a broadly similar approach to selecting and holding companies, but LT has more consumer brands while Fundsmith has more healthcare and technology. Geographically they differ: Fundsmith is 60% US with 20% in each of UK and Europe (v. roughly); LT is 1/3rd US, 1/3rd UK, 20% Japan, 10% Europe.
  • rathernot
    rathernot Posts: 339 Forumite
    How does LTGE strategy differ to Fundsmith or is it similar?

I tend to think of Lindsell Train as being more around the power of quality brands than the "numbers" that Fundsmith go off.

You'll often hear Nick Train espousing the brand value of Man United (for example) but not so often hear him talking about ROCE and price/earnings etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure