Front wheel came off whilst cycling

I bought a new bike in September last year, which has a six month warranty (still within warranty).

I was riding it last weekend when the eyelet snapped and the front wheel came off. I went over the handle bars and went crashing to the floor and ended up in the middle of a busy road - fortunately I was not hit by a car.

I took the bike back to store and they accepted responsibility explaining there was a fault with the frame and eyelet (it was an ex display model apparently).

The store have asked me what I want to resolve this. I believe I have a four options:

1) Ask for an exact replacement
2) Ask for an upgrade
3) Ask for my money back
4) Ask for something else

Has anyone had a similar experience and if so what is reasonable to ask for?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    What is your preference?
  • w00519772
    w00519772 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    What is your preference?

Ask for an upgrade.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    w00519772 wrote: »
    Ask for an upgrade.

Have you asked them
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Most bike shops ask you to bring the bike back for checking/servicing after 2 or 3 months, did you do that? A warranty may require that service and most do.
    In the same way that car drivers are supposed to check tires, oil levels etc every journey so are cyclists.
    Wheel nuts or QR need to checked regularly, the constant vibration does make them come loose sometimes.
    I'm glad you weren't hurt
  • maisie_cat wrote: »
    Most bike shops ask you to bring the bike back for checking/servicing after 2 or 3 months, did you do that? A warranty may require that service and most do.
    In the same way that car drivers are supposed to check tires, oil levels etc every journey so are cyclists.

Wheel nuts or QR need to checked regularly, the constant vibration does make them come loose sometimes.
    I'm glad you weren't hurt

Cant see how doing either of these could of prevented the incident. Would a service or rider observation really pick up on metal fatigue? Which appears to be the cause based on OPs use of the word "snapped".

Slighly different to checking oil level and tyres which are extremely easy to assess.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    What make and model?
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    I would ask them for a full replacement bike, or the same or better standard, with a brand new warranty start date (i.e. not backdated to the original purchase date). And if they want to throw in a freebie or two, you'd be grateful for their handling it so well.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • w00519772
    w00519772 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    I have visited Go Outdoors every day since and the bike has not moved.

I spoke to a different manager today and he tells me that I will have to buy a new bike! I am very annoyed about this.

They have given me an email address if I want to complain! What do I do? I have sought the opinion of a friend cyclist who maintains bikes who tells me this is an issue with the frame and the bike should be replaced. I believe I have two options:

1) Make a complaint in writing.
    2) Ask my sister to join me at the store to vent her frustrations. She is passionate about bikes (and also says it is not my fault) and is much more outgoing than me.

I believe the store are trying it on.
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Similar happened to my son with a Halford's bike - they didn't tighten the front wheel nuts and the front wheel fell off a couple of weeks after leaving the shop on only it's second journey out. They reluctantly agreed to replace it with a slightly upgraded version after I persisted due to various scratches etc on the bike after the accident.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The way bikes are designed a wheel cannot just fall out as the frame has a sort of C shaped bit around the axel/QR which fits in like C-. By riding it, you are pushing the frame down onto the axel preventing it coming out.

Given the OP had a failure of metal, they should be given a replacement and potentially compensation for injuries or damage to clothing etc, buying a new bike when the frame has failed is laughable, they should replace the bike or tell them you'll be taking it to a solicitor.

@Pennywise - the wheel fell out because your son was doing a wheelie or lifting the frame up off the axel e.g. to hop up a kerb, again the wheel cannot come out even if there are no bolts at all unless the weight is lifted from the front allowing it to drop out. Again, poor from shop but should be a basic safety check for any rider, I can immediately tell if the wheel isn't properly tight when I lift my bike out of the shed as you can feel it when you put it down so I check the QR straight away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure