No Deal Brexit and Savings

Comments

• IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    History suggests that Private Eye’s reporting, particularly of an investigative nature, is significantly better than that of the “mainstream” news sources.

Please feel free to cling to your version of events. There’s clearly no point in engaging further :)

I'm not clinging to anything, nor do I need your permission.

Sadly the truth is a lot duller and more ordinary than your dramatic scandal fantasy. :)
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    IanManc wrote: »

Oh, and calling Rees-Mogg "Sleazy-Dogg" is just pitiful. :)

Really? You didn't seem to have any bother recognizing who it referred to. Words like "accurate" and "apposite" spring to mind.

Another future former future prime minister, I hope.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • eskbanker wrote: »
    Only 46 posts in seems a bit early to be invoking Godwin's Law....

But with hindsight, no, it wasn't
  • IanManc wrote: »
    I'm not clinging to anything, nor do I need your permission.

Sadly the truth is a lot duller and more ordinary than your dramatic scandal fantasy. :)

You can have my permission anyway :)

And I don’t actually think it’s a scandal, I just think it’s worth pointing out the hypocrisy of a man who wishes to take the U.K. into the hardest brexit, whilst at the same time taking steps to ensure his personal position is protected from the damage that brexit will do.

When he talks about the vassal state, I think he’s secretly thinking that the general population should all be his vassals. :)

I really will stop engaging now, I promise.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,611 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    In more fabulous Brexit news it appears that we have no idea how many customs officers we have at the moment let alone how many new ones we may need to employ. No wonder the description was for Armageddon in the event of no deal

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-customs-officers-eu-uk-no-deal-europe-ports-airports-home-office-a8456881.html

When the head of Amazon predicts civil disorder it seems hard to disagree when even minor issues like a discount promotion end up like this

https://damn-lies-and-statistics.blogspot.com/2018/07/no-deal-brexit-civil-disorder.html
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Chadsman
    Chadsman Posts: 1,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    John Redwood thinks it is time for investors to look further afield as the UK economy hits the brakes.
    Monetary policy cannot prevent either the necessary real adjustment as the United Kingdom moves towards its new international trading arrangements or the weaker real income growth that is likely to accompany that adjustment over the next few years.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/francescoppola/2017/11/12/british-lawmaker-advises-investors-to-take-their-money-out-of-the-uk/2/
    God save the King!
    I'll save Winston Churchill, Jane Austen, J. M. W. Turner and Alan Turing.
  • IanManc
    edited 23 July 2018 at 7:01PM
    Chadsman wrote: »
    John Redwood thinks it is time for investors to look further afield as the UK economy hits the brakes.QUOTE]

That was an interesting polemic from Forbes last November. Unfortunately I can't see - nor could I see then - the FT article that it is selectively quoting from, as it is behind the paywall.

I remember Redwood being cross examined about it on TV and trying to explain himself, but I can't recall what he said.

I tend to glaze over due to his drawling delivery. :)
  • IanManc
    You can have my permission anyway :)

And I don’t actually think it’s a scandal, I just think it’s worth pointing out the hypocrisy of a man who wishes to take the U.K. into the hardest brexit, whilst at the same time taking steps to ensure his personal position is protected from the damage that brexit will do.

When he talks about the vassal state, I think he’s secretly thinking that the general population should all be his vassals. :)

I really will stop engaging now, I promise.

The Irish funds, just like the other overseas Somerset funds, are marketed at clients who invest in them - it isn't his own money. :wall:
  • IanManc
    jimjames wrote: »
    In more fabulous Brexit news it appears that we have no idea how many customs officers we have at the moment let alone how many new ones we may need to employ. No wonder the description was for Armageddon in the event of no deal

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-customs-officers-eu-uk-no-deal-europe-ports-airports-home-office-a8456881.html

When the head of Amazon predicts civil disorder it seems hard to disagree when even minor issues like a discount promotion end up like this

https://damn-lies-and-statistics.blogspot.com/2018/07/no-deal-brexit-civil-disorder.html

Now I definitely know how many customs officers we have - too few. :eek:
  • dividendhero
    dividendhero Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    And its worth remembering Britain is the least democratic country in Europe. We don't elect the Head of State & Hangers On, We don't elect the absurdly over-populated House of Lords (which alone is bigger than the EU Parliament for 27 countries) - both of which can over-rule the supposedly democratic Government which is held up by bribes to the DUP.
    So would a little power in the far more democratic EU be such a bad thing?

UK is one of the most authoritarian countries in the EU, almost certainly the most authoritarian in Western Europe. A certain MP called David Davis used to regularly bring the British government to the ECJ due to its poor record on civil rights. Without ECJ protection the British Government will be like a fox in the chicken house with our rights :(

I'm sure post Brexit some EU countries will offer EU passports to Brits with a bit of cash, I myself would take up such an offer even if it meant giving up my UK citizenship - which I view as being more of a subject than a citizen anyway
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure