Cat B car back on the road and for sale?

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Possible the owner at the time of the incident had salvage rights, unusual if its a modern car. Fairly normal for a classic though.

Owner decided to repair it instead of breaking it. I would wonder what the state of the bodyshelll was like. Cut and shut?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• I know of a few CAT B cars being on the road (as long as there is a VIC, a current MOT, tax paid & insurance) A lot of CAT B cars are flood damaged, hence the insurance Cos write them off immediately, I guess electrical problems can be very expensive issues. How easy to insure though I don't know?
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Tigerprint wrote: »
    A lot of CAT B cars are flood damaged, hence the insurance Cos write them off immediately,

If sewage has got into the box sections, short of stripping the bodyshell bare and immersing in a suitable disinfectant, you will never get it out.

That is why a flood damage is a write off, once the water gets over the sills.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Is it legal to re-shell a car in the UK? I don't see the financial benefit, but just a thought?
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Stoke wrote: »
    Is it legal to re-shell a car in the UK? I don't see the financial benefit, but just a thought?

Yes it is. If you use a new (previously unregistered) shell then it can retain the original ID but re-shelling into a used shell should end up on a Q plate.

It's rarely financially worthwhile but does happen in the classics market. British Heritage even supply complete, brand new, shells for the old Mini and some MGs for around £7k - £10k.

http://www.bmh-ltd.com/bodyshells2.htm
  • Stoke
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    Yes it is. If you use a new (previously unregistered) shell then it can retain the original ID but re-shelling into a used shell should end up on a Q plate.

It's rarely financially worthwhile but does happen in the classics market. British Heritage even supply complete, brand new, shells for the old Mini and some MGs for around £7k - £10k.

http://www.bmh-ltd.com/bodyshells2.htm

Interesting, good to see Mini shells are still being made. Have always dreamed of owning one, but the good ones are starting to get rarer.

They even have brand new shells for an MGB.... posing the question, why? Terrible ugly car which didn't handle properly. Surprised anyone still has them.

Even so, is there any point in doing this for say a Cat B Audi?
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Stoke wrote: »
    They even have brand new shells for an MGB.... posing the question, why? Terrible ugly car which didn't handle properly. Surprised anyone still has them.
    People build race/rally versions with them. People who have had one for years want to keep it for years more (usually having already upgraded the mechanicals). People even build new mechanicals into the replacement shell because they like the looks or the image.
    Even so, is there any point in doing this for say a Cat B Audi?
    Only if it was a rare model like an early Quattro?
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Stoke
    NBLondon wrote: »
    People build race/rally versions with them. People who have had one for years want to keep it for years more (usually having already upgraded the mechanicals). People even build new mechanicals into the replacement shell because they like the looks or the image.
    Madness :D
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The fun is as much in the building as in the end result - so those with more patience and skill tell me.

Or you can pay a LOT of money to have it done for you... http://www.frontlinedevelopments.com/vehicle/mg-abingdon-edition/
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    facade wrote: »
    If sewage has got into the box sections, short of stripping the bodyshell bare and immersing in a suitable disinfectant, you will never get it out.
    QUOTE]

The group selling it are hugely up front about any issues they find with the car (they funnel cars out to the trade from other dealers within their group) and they've not listed any smells present in the car.

A couple of trade men have submitted bids. Its currently sitting at £1500 with a couple of hours to go. I think it'll go for around £1500 to £1800.

I'm tempted to stick in a bid but as has been pointed out its most likely going to be a horror story to try and insure and if you did have to subsequently sell it on as salvage a £1800 "gamble" could turn in to a £300 breaker.... :eek:

I suspect the trade men bidding know at worst they could use it as a runner and drive it via their trade insurance, so not such a risk for them...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback