Jacobs Bailiffs - Council Tax

Comments

• *Hugs to Ashmaniac*

I've been locked in my home all day. I have two children (6 and 2) and they don't understand why they can't go out and play. I know this is my fault at the end of the day, but I'm not a bad person, I have nothing of any value for them to take really. I would gladly go out for the whole day, but I am scared to come back and find that I have been broken into or that the bailiff is waiting for me.
  • Hi

Sympathy all round

From what I can gather the only qualifications/experience needed to be a bailiff are bullying, bullying, bullying and skins like rhinos.

A friend of mine had a problem with one for council tax arrears. They kept calling round and he spoke to them on doorstep (knowing his rights he closed the door first so they couldn't get in.) He offered them £20 a month, all he could afford as he was on Pension Credit. They kept ignoring his offer. I went with him to the council office where he complained and offered them the same money but they said it had nothing to do with them any more.

MAny months went by, he got a letter from Pension Credit Dept saying they had a liability order or something and were going to take £3 a week which is much less than he offered them in the first place. He can breathe again as he is not worried every time the doorbell goes!
  • I am currently waiting for a break down of what I owe from the council and from the bailiff, still nothing.

Seeing as non of them are willing to come to an arrangement. I am paying the council direct and I'm ignoring the bailiff. If what I have read is correct, after a certain amount of time they hand the case back to the council. So I shall just keep doing what I am.
  • hallowitch
    hallowitch Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am currently waiting for a break down of what I owe from the council and from the bailiff, still nothing.

Seeing as non of them are willing to come to an arrangement. I am paying the council direct and I'm ignoring the bailiff. If what I have read is correct, after a certain amount of time they hand the case back to the council. So I shall just keep doing what I am.

yes keep ignoring the bailiffs and pay the council on-line

Most councils will have it in there contract that after x amount of the time the debt should be returned to council as Nulla Bona (no goods) then the council decide what further action to take

In reality it doesn't work like that and the bailiff could have your account for months before its returned to the council

try and pay the council at regular intervals £x on the same day(date) every week/month because it forms a pattern of payment and looks better that payment made as and when

you may want to start a thread here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?168-Bailiffs-and-High-Court-Enforcement-Officers
    I am not an expert I am self taught i have no legal training any information I post is based on my own personal experience and information gained from other web sites

If you are in any doubt please seek legal/expert advice help
  • I have been paying £50 a fortnight since this mess started. I have saved all email receipts incase I need to prove it.

Should I just copy and paste my starting thread over to that other website Hallowitch?

Thank you so much for your help.
  • hallowitch
    I have been paying £50 a fortnight since this mess started. I have saved all email receipts incase I need to prove it.

Should I just copy and paste my starting thread over to that other website Hallowitch?

Thank you so much for your help.

aye copy and paste your first post and add to it that you have sent of the breakdown of fees

the council are allegedly posting it out to you Jacobs have e-mailed you telling you to ask the bailiff
    the bailiff is self employed not an employee of Jacobs

I post over there so will pick it up when i see it :)
    I am not an expert I am self taught i have no legal training any information I post is based on my own personal experience and information gained from other web sites

• My intercom was ringing for over an hour last night. I didn't answer it, but you could hear the Bailiff shouting outside "Let me in the gate now". He got fed up and left.
  • hallowitch
    My intercom was ringing for over an hour last night. I didn't answer it, but you could hear the Bailiff shouting outside "Let me in the gate now". He got fed up and left.

no luck their then Mr bailiff i do hope it was raining :rotfl:

• shedhead55
    shedhead55 Posts: 246 Forumite
    My intercom was ringing for over an hour last night. I didn't answer it, but you could hear the Bailiff shouting outside "Let me in the gate now". He got fed up and left.
    I too hope it was raining - hard! Sounds like you are handling this just fine but don't hesitate to call the police if there's any attempt to gain forceful entry.
  • Hi all, just an update. I have FINALLY received a break down of what I owe from the council (hoorah, someone finally got back to me)

Council Tax for period 11.7.11 to 31.3.12 £680.52
    Less single person discount £170.13
    Plus liability order costs £90.00
    Less payments £280.00
    Balance £320.39
    Jacobs bailiffs are collecting this amount so there will be their costs in addition to the above amount.

Council Tax for period 1.4.12 to 31.3.13 £939.89
    Less single person discount £234.97
    Plus liability order costs £100.00
    Less payments £170.00
    Balance £634.92.

Please contact this office by the 24.8.12 with details of your income and to discuss making an arrangement to pay your arrears for the period 1.4.12 to 31.3.13.(Going to call them back on Monday and make arrangements for this)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure