PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hey Wort, that's exactly what my friend did - got a shower just as you describe. It is fab. Good luck with your plans, Mx

A good kondo result today - went through all my 'currently too small' clothes to see which I really WILL wear when the next stone in weight goes! I released 15 items to CS bag. In addition, DH gave up a pair of trousers and a hat to put in the bag :)

During the trawl through the clothes I also rediscovered a lovely garment that is a sort of cardigan made from stretchy broderie anglaise. It is a cream colour and has a very full 'swing' to it. Sorry, that's a poor description but the garment brings much joy! I am wearing it atm :D

I did all clothes categories except jumpers - will do them tomorrow morning. I haven't got many so that shouldn't take long. Glad the weather is cooler for trying on jumpers :rotfl:
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • The leads and the chair back went to the tip. Although frustratingly I have just remembered that there were some things in the garden that should have joined them!!
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The leads and the chair back went to the tip. Although frustratingly I have just remembered that there were some things in the garden that should have joined them!!

Sounds just like what we do.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• I have more empty cupboards in the kitchen now than I do full ones and the pile of packed boxes gets BIGGER!!!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I have more empty cupboards in the kitchen now than I do full ones and the pile of packed boxes gets BIGGER!!!
    :eek: How long til moving day, Lyn?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • 29th August so they say GQ!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    29th August so they say GQ!
    :eek: Wow. The last two moves I had involved 2-3 days notice, can't imagine how it feels to have so long a lead time.

D'you reckon it's helpful to have a lot of time to consider things or do you think that, like with housework, packing expands to fill the time allowed for it?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Swings and roundabouts, it's good to have had time to think what to keep and what to dispose of and rehome but it's really annoying when I need something I didn't think I would and KNOW it's in a box at the bottom of the pile! Had our buyer been slightly quicker in signing the contracts exchange would have happened weeks ago and we'd have been moving tomorrow!
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Mrs L - your packing seems so organised and great you've had time to think about whether to pack something or release it. Won't it be lovely unpacking and arranging in your new home?
    We've thought about downsizing and investigated it a couple of times but nothing that grabbed us and I think we've left it too late now although the upside is when we're too decrepit to manage the stairs we have enough room to move downstairs lol ;)

DH & I collected the frost free freezer on Saturday - left it for a few hours to settle and switched on - all good. Cleared out my utility freezer into it and switched it off. All defrosted now and ready to be re-stocked. found quite a few bits that had been stuffed in the old one for justin - no idea what they were so they've been kondoed into the bin. I found a few odds and sods of bread crusts, a mini pizza and some elderly sponge cakes, defrosted and out for the jackdaws that live in our chimney.
    DH has a couple of cans of old engine oil and I had a tin of olive oil that tastes a bit 'fowsty' to me - its not rancid but I've had it while and i think the hot weather has finished it off so that's going with the engine oil
    Not much else at the mo.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Spent an hour in DS2 and DS3's bedrooms today with them (I flitted between the 2, DS1 was with DS2 and DD with DS3) - they got rid of a bin's worth of recycling/ rubbish each (mainly duplicate lego sheets and old school stuff) and have tidier drawers/ shelves. Can't really see the impact in there from today's efforts as it's all hidden away, but some progress was made, which is a Good Thing :)

I've tidied the fridge and thrown a bottle (mostly used - about 25% left) of Moroccan dressing - BBE 04/15 - I'm happy to use thing past dates, but this had separated rather badly..... :eek: Also donated a jar of marmalade which I wasn't a fan of to my mum (I prefer my hm stuff) and a jar of jam to an aunt (she sent back her empty with a note in :D) and 2 books read and passed back to my mum (she'll pass them on to aunt) Other than that I tidied the glut of courgettes and tomatoes into a ratatouille :)

Little bits, but all going the right way :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport