Jacobs Bailiffs - Council Tax

Comments

• ladybez
    ladybez Posts: 474 Forumite
    I'm sure many would beg to differ!!!!
  • Hi my house mate got a letter from Jacobs bailiff this morning for outstanding council tax.well my house is a shared house.and i don't have any issues with council about council tax.cause I'm still studying i don have to pay council tax.my question is,if they come,will they take my stuff as well?should i be worried?if anyone could help me with my query,i would be so great full,many thanks.
  • hallowitch
    hallowitch Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Arf170294 wrote: »
    Hi my house mate got a letter from Jacobs bailiff this morning for outstanding council tax.well my house is a shared house.and i don't have any issues with council about council tax.cause I'm still studying i don have to pay council tax.my question is,if they come,will they take my stuff as well?should i be worried?if anyone could help me with my query,i would be so great full,many thanks.

they can only remove /levy goods belonging to the debtor

I take it you have a lock on your door keep everything that belongs to you in there

tell your house mate not to let them in they have no legal right of forced entry (locksmith police ect) regardless of what they say they must gain entry by peaceful means by invitation open window closed but unlocked door never forget BAILIFFS LIE

if push comes to shove a statutory declaration will protect your property this cost approx. £5/10

tell your house mate to get it sorted because you can be jailed for not paying council tax if he has the council ref no he can pay the council on-line regular amounts every week shows willing as long as he keeps the bailiffs out the house (they don't levy his goods) they will eventually give up and move on this also keeps his bailiff fee to the maximum of £42.50
    I am not an expert I am self taught i have no legal training any information I post is based on my own personal experience and information gained from other web sites

If you are in any doubt please seek legal/expert advice help
  • dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    Firstly it depends on what type of tenancy you have. If you each rent a room seperately then it may be up to the landlord to pay your council tax. If you rent the house between you and are all listed on the council tax then you (the occupiers/residents) are liable to pay the council tax. The good news from what you say is that you are a student so therefore get an exemption. You will probably need a letter or form from your college or university to confirm that you are a student and don't need to pay council tax.
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • topaztiger1983
    topaztiger1983 Posts: 614 Forumite
    edited 23 September 2014 at 10:59PM
    I also have an issue with these jerks, mine is for council tax, I had an arrangement with them then I broke the arrangement as my benefit was sanctioned

Now I am in work I want to start paying them, but the idiots have now sent a bailiff with a hand delivered letter asking for over £400 immediately or they will remove goods from my home, the problem there is that most of my good are either on loan from the council or on HP, I am not going to let them in the house anyway as they have no right to enter my property in the first place

I am just worried about them coming around when I am at work and trying to intimidate my partner
  • phil_dar
    phil_dar Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 31 December 2014 at 10:20AM
    Ive registered here specifically because of Jacobs bailiffs, who have repeatedly hounded my ex partner over an old council tax debt, which was for £738.01 a hand written note was posted by one of their bailiffs a mr james Conwell (appropriate name) giving 7 days to pay the bill, wanting to help my ex get rid of the debt, I rang him and like an idiot allowed him access to my ex`s house, because I was confident I could pay them off, once he was inside he asked for £1,700 pounds and began to act slightly aggressively in front of my children, wen I said that was a ridiculous amount to have added on, he left and turned up with a crew of bailiffs under the pretence that I had been aggressive which I wasn't and they used intimidating and rude behaviour in front of my children who were then 5 and 7 years old, subsequently I did get aggressive due to their behaviour, which then escalated out of all proportion, so cammo2000 is this what you call reasonable behaviour, from bailiffs ?

The only people who get upset about non payment of taxes are people collecting money and making huge profits at others expense, in addition the charges are scandalous to expect a single mother to pay that kind of money is nothing short of extortion, legal or not I would also like to ask the question of upsetting young children by their actions because im fairly sure that no legitimate bailiff working in a legal and professional manner would behave in such a disgraceful way and to return with a team of aggressive bailiffs is disgusting, all because I allowed them entry, so there you have it, that's how they operate.

Im also curios if all those charges are legal ones.

Other things ive noticed is bailiffs tend to turn up around Christmas, I suppose they like to add a bit of Christmas cheer to the festive season.

Anyway that's part of my experiences with Jacobs bailiffs I wont go on any further but surfice to say I ended up paying £550 which was the minimum they asked for to remove the order, being, honest I was loathed to pay any at all, after the kind of behaviour they displayed and basically they only got any at all, because, I wanted to try help my ex from harassment from them. One more thing I think my ex has had to make arrangements to pay off the rest.
  • Please help me guys, sorry to join your thread but I answered the door to a Jacobs law enforcement officer earlier, whom to I had no notice of him coming! He demanded I paid the full amount of £1,259.53, to which I was shocked and also confused as I have been making regular monthly payments of £20per month since 25/08/2016 to my old council to pay for the bill of £1,024.53, as I read this thread when I last received a letter from Jacobs in May, yes it took nearly 3 months for me to get the information of what we owed. Anyway Iv paid £20 a month so far which is £60 off the above figure to the council. Anyway, when he came to the door me and my partner both panicked and we stupidly paid £100 on card and said the will be back to collect the remaining £1159.23 on Friday (2/12/16). Now we are both panicking because it a stay at home Mum to two babies (3yrs and 1yrs, luckily they were both asleep when he came) and have no income what so ever and my partner is self employed so who knows when his next pay check will be! please someone help me! I'm petrified and right near Christmas too!
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Please help me guys, sorry to join your thread but I answered the door to a Jacobs law enforcement officer earlier, whom to I had no notice of him coming! He demanded I paid the full amount of £1,259.53, to which I was shocked and also confused as I have been making regular monthly payments of £20per month since 25/08/2016 to my old council to pay for the bill of £1,024.53, as I read this thread when I last received a letter from Jacobs in May, yes it took nearly 3 months for me to get the information of what we owed. Anyway Iv paid £20 a month so far which is £60 off the above figure to the council. Anyway, when he came to the door me and my partner both panicked and we stupidly paid £100 on card and said the will be back to collect the remaining £1159.23 on Friday (2/12/16). Now we are both panicking because it a stay at home Mum to two babies (3yrs and 1yrs, luckily they were both asleep when he came) and have no income what so ever and my partner is self employed so who knows when his next pay check will be! please someone help me! I'm petrified and right near Christmas too!

Hi

I’m sorry I’ve only just noticed your post. I think you might get more replies if you start your own thread.

Just to clarify, if it’s an enforcement officer (also known as a bailiff) collecting council tax they aren’t law enforcement. Just enforcing payment of a council tax bill.

Did you receive a notice of enforcement at all?

As long as he hasn’t been inside your home so far, listed your belongings and then you signed the agreement, he can’t force entry. The simplest way to stay in a strong negotiating position is to make sure you don’t let him in and keep the door locked. If you own a vehicle keep it in a garage or well out of the way for now.

You can only afford what you can afford so make a realistic payment offer. If the enforcement officer refuses to accept it you can save it up. There will most likely come a point where they either accept your payments or pass the debt back to the council.

There is a factsheet on council tax collection here which might be useful:

www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/council-tax-recovery/counciltaxdebt.aspx

You’re welcome to contact National Debtline if you would like to discuss your situation in more detail with an adviser.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Rikky
    Rikky Posts: 8 Forumite
    Hi

On the point of Bailiffs,

Given the new GDPR amendment and unless implicitly implied, the Council may not pass on 'personal details' to Bailiffs without your written consent.

is this correct?

Presumably, if a Country Court order has been issued, are they then empowered to use your personal details to collect monies?

Many Thanks
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,845 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 August 2018 at 9:12PM
    Rikky wrote: »
    Hi

On the point of Bailiffs,

Given the new GDPR amendment and unless implicitly implied, the Council may not pass on 'personal details' to Bailiffs without your written consent.

is this correct?

Presumably, if a Country Court order has been issued, are they then empowered to use your personal details to collect monies?

Many Thanks

Another Old post resurrection.

Hi,

No its not correct.

Councils act under a liability order to chase unpaid council tax.
    That allows them certain powers including use of bailiffs.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure