Rice cooker

Pl can anybody recommend a rice cooker for 2 to 4? Currently using breville stainless 1.8 lts. Ideally would like a lt one. The breville one splashes and spitting a lot making quite a mess My old one is a national Chinese type rice cooker and it collects the splashes. They do not sell them much here ? Cheapest on amazon is £37.50 the type I want. No Chinese supermarket to check where I live. Thanks

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,877
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Get a decent one - the one on Amazon sounds good value. I use them a lot and the sub-£30 ones aren't very good and don't always last long. Spending £40 for one that lasts a few years is better than having to buy a Cookworks or similar brand for £20 every six months to a year.
  • Oh_No
    Oh_No Posts: 40
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    serious question. what is the advantage of one of these over boiling it in a pan? I eat a reasonable amount of rice so would be interested if it is worth getting one.
  • Have the same question as Oh_No,

I always just do one cup of rice, 2 cups of boiling water in a Pyrex dish, cover and Nuke,
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,421
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I always just do one cup of rice, 2 cups of boiling water in a Pyrex dish, cover and Nuke,

One cup of rice to 2 cups of water with a splash of soy sauce. Bung it over a low heat for 12-15 mins with a lid on the saucepan.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Oh_No wrote: »
    serious question. what is the advantage of one of these over boiling it in a pan? I eat a reasonable amount of rice so would be interested if it is worth getting one.

I would love to know too, as I cook my rice in the oven and the grains are perfectly cooked every time.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,731
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I suppose a rice cooker frees up a cooker ring or maybe OP does not have a hob.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Forumite
    Oh_No wrote: »
    It's a set-and-forget option, to an extent. A decent rice cooker will cook the rice and once it's cooked, will keep it hot. If you use them correctly rice never sticks to the pan whereas in a saucepan, if you get the water level or your timing wrong, you end up with undercooked, soggy or burnt rice.

A pan is perfectly adequate but a rice cooker can be a useful purchase if you have the cupboard space, a convenient socket or just want a slightly more hands-off way of cooking rice.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Our cheapo £10 one still going got to be 10+ years old.
    The bottom gets a bit stuck now but I just do a bit more than we need anyway.
    The bottom bit gets fried off or goes on the compost

Spash proof it has a lid(should have a hole to let steam out).
    Why is yours spreading water over you kitchen?

They are simple heat and boil till dry then reduce heat to keep warm.

Aldi Lidl often have cheap ones or wait for argos sale.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Forumite
    Our cheapo £10 one still going got to be 10+ years old.
    The bottom gets a bit stuck now but I just do a bit more than we need anyway.
    The bottom bit gets fried off or goes on the compost

Spash proof it has a lid(should have a hole to let steam out).
    Why is yours spreading water over you kitchen?

They are simple heat and boil till dry then reduce heat to keep warm.

Aldi Lidl often have cheap ones or wait for argos sale.
    I'd avoid Argos if they're still selling their cheapo Cookworks model. I went through four of them in about 8 months and eventually got a refund. Kept blowing a component.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,649
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

Is the rice not a bit sticky with so little water? I normally use a kettlefull on the hob to ensure it’s well washed :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure